Sam Houston Race Park

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
11BInfantry
Posts in topic: 2

Sam Houston Race Park

Post by 11BInfantry »

I'm going to a concert tonight at the Sam Houston Race park and I was just curious if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there. I know its illegal to carry at the races but I've never been there so I didn't know if they were in separate parts of the park or what.

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sam Houston Race Park

Post by couzin »

I am not a lawyer (disclaimer) - but I think the rule is a racetrack where parimutual wagering is conducted - since the track has simulcasting (and wagering) going on while the concert is scheduled - I think concealed carry would not be allowed.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
11BInfantry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 11BInfantry »

Unfortunately I believe your right. :banghead: Thank you for the input though.

TxA

Post by TxA »

In a few weeks, I'm taking the family to Cirque Du Soleil. Not my best cup of tea, but they love it, so I'll happily take them. The "circus" will perform under a tent, or "Grand Chapiteau", in the parking lot, not inside the track or inside the facilities. Two questions that I have are:

1- I'm guessing I can't carry since the circus in on the premises (regardless of whether simulcasting (and wagering) are going on or not) :banghead:
2. - Can I conceal in my vehicle, but not on my person? :confused5 (hate to travel the 35 miles without my EDW)

Thoughts are appreciated.... :thumbs2:
CHL 08/00

“We have no government armed in power capable of contending in human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
John Adams – 2nd President of the United States

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

PC §46.03(a)(4) says carrying is prohibited "on the premises of a racetrack." It's like a school--we can't carry there even when classes/races/betting are not happening. This is in contrast to the sporting event prohibition (for example), where the premises are only off limits when the event is occurring.
TxA wrote:2. - Can I conceal in my vehicle, but not on my person? :confused5 (hate to travel the 35 miles without my EDW)
As far as I am aware, under state law there is nowhere you can't carry in your car. All the prohibitions are for "premises," which are defined in §46.035(f)(3) as:
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

hirundo82 wrote: As far as I am aware, under state law there is nowhere you can't carry in your car. All the prohibitions are for "premises," which are defined in §46.035(f)(3) as:
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
Under state law I think you're right. Unfortunately, still have to watch out for VA parking lots and other fun federal property.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”