51% Sign at Johnny Rockets in the Woodlands???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ct214
Posts in topic: 2

51% Sign at Johnny Rockets in the Woodlands???

Post by ct214 »

I have seen posts about illegal 51% signs, but I was especially surprised to see this sign at Johnny Rockets at Market Street in The Woodlands... since I don't think they even serve alcohol. But sure as anything, they have the sign posted in both English and Spanish in the front window. My guess is that whoever put the signs there thought this would satisfy the 30.06 requirements for signage.

So I really have 3 questions... 1. If the sign is blatantly wrong, do we have to obey it? 2. If we don't have to obey it, do we really want to report it? 3. If we want to report it and they really don't serve alcohol, is it still under TABC jurisdiction?

Thanks all!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 51% Sign at Johnny Rockets in the Woodlands???

Post by Keith B »

ct214 wrote:I have seen posts about illegal 51% signs, but I was especially surprised to see this sign at Johnny Rockets at Market Street in The Woodlands... since I don't think they even serve alcohol. But sure as anything, they have the sign posted in both English and Spanish in the front window. My guess is that whoever put the signs there thought this would satisfy the 30.06 requirements for signage.

So I really have 3 questions... 1. If the sign is blatantly wrong, do we have to obey it? 2. If we don't have to obey it, do we really want to report it? 3. If we want to report it and they really don't serve alcohol, is it still under TABC jurisdiction?

Thanks all!
There was another thread here about Johnny Rocket's http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 37&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To answer your questions from my view (IANAL):

1. No.
2. No, as they might put up a 30.06 sign.
3. Good questions. My opinion is yes, since it is a TABC sign they have posted. Maybe our esteemed ember srothstein will come along soon with the real answer. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
ct214
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ct214 »

Ah... I had searched it without the apostrophe.... devil's in the details. Thanks!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

The answer to the first question is that the sign is not the important part, the TABC determination is. That is why looking at the license is so important. The determination is shown on the license. The posted sign can be ignored if the license does not show it to be accurate.

And the third answer is that TABC has no jurisdiction if they do not serve alcohol. We can enforce the law on licensed premises, and on premises selling alcohol that do not have a license. Since the sign is specified by the law and not by TABC rule, anyone can buy one and post it and TABC can do nothing about it. Many hospitals posted these signs back when they were supposed to post one with the same wording but no 51.

The middle question is the tricky one that is the personal problem. If they are posting the wrong sign, will they post the right one if the wrong one is pointed out? I can't answer that one for you.My opinion is that we should not do business with anyone who is posting against us, whether it is valid or not, based on their intent and desire, but that is just my opinion.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”