How would you handle it??????????

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Target1911
Posts in topic: 3

How would you handle it??????????

Post by Target1911 »

I HAVE BEEN ELECTED AT WORK !!!!!!!! to go take a random DOT drug test. In the past, i have been asked to empty my pockets, remove my shoes, raise my pants legs, and even raise my shirt tail to show the waist band of my pants so they can check to make sure nothing is hidden. I dont have much of a problem with any of it except raising my shirt tail and showing them, and everyone in the office, my hidden sidearm.
So what would you do?
Refuse? Just show them? Explain vebally that you have CHL and wish not to raise your shirt, at all or just in the view of others? Just show them you CHL and wait for a response?

Thank You
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

sbb
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How would you handle it??????????

Post by sbb »

The answer may depend on your company's policy concerning weapons in the workplace. If there are no restrictions and the test is administered at their site then let your conscience be your guide. If weapons are prohibited then you know your answer. Its kind of like being between the devil and the deep blue sea. I would take the required test and be unarmed. My reasoning is that I would not want anyone to know of my CHL or that I carry a weapon.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Everyone at work knows that I shoot competition and my passion for guns. However, no one has been informed that I carry......and I have yet to be informed in any way that I can not carry but I dont want them to know. The testing place is not at work and I will be going on my own time.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Dave01

Post by Dave01 »

I am not familiar with the DOT drug test (what does DOT stand for?). I am only familiar with the "#1 in a cup" version at a doctors office or screening facility. What you describe seems very inappropriate if done in full view of other employees, regardless of your carry status. Am I correct in assuming you know the day and/or time of the test (were you randomly selected, or is the test done at a random day/time, or both)?

I would make sure you know the company policy in regard to weapons in the workplace like the back of your hand before even considering being armed for the test. You may find youself out of work otherwise. Even if there is no policy, I would still be cautious as they could possibly institute one in response to your sidearm.

Dave

Edit: If your are going to a separate facility, you may want to call ahead and find out 1) if the facility is posted, and 2) what they are required to report to the company. I do not believe they are required to report sidearms to your employer, but you never know when you're going to run into an anti-gunner with a grudge.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

In this case I would leave it in the car when i went in for testing. I wouldn't like it, but I rather be able to carry daily without issues.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ScubaSigGuy wrote:In this case I would leave it in the car when i went in for testing. I wouldn't like it, but I rather be able to carry daily without issues.
+1
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Target1911 wrote:Everyone at work knows that I shoot competition and my passion for guns. However, no one has been informed that I carry......and I have yet to be informed in any way that I can not carry but I don't want them to know. The testing place is not at work and I will be going on my own time.

Doctor patient privilege applies for all but the drug test results. You may want to leave your weapon in the car (or lock it to the handlebars of your motorcycle) when you go in for the testing though.

bryang

Post by bryang »

Keith B wrote:
ScubaSigGuy wrote:In this case I would leave it in the car when i went in for testing. I wouldn't like it, but I rather be able to carry daily without issues.
+1
+2 :iagree:
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

bryang wrote:
Keith B wrote:
+1
+2 :iagree:
I agree with this option as well. It may not be the most desired option but it seems the best by your description of events above.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

I am also subject to "random" drug tests on a regular basis. Every testing facility that I have personally been to has been legally posted.

Lock it in your vehicle...it's not worth the risk of being made in my opinion.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Dave01 wrote:I am not familiar with the DOT drug test (what does DOT stand for?). ....
You must work for TSA... I get this question at the airport when I show ID. DOT is Department of Transportation (http://www.dot.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

49 CFR 40 is the drug test standard:
The Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991 requires drug and alcohol testing of safety-sensitive transportation employees in aviation, trucking, railroads, mass transit, pipelines and other transportation industries. DOT publishes rules on who must conduct drug and alcohol tests, how to conduct those tests and what procedures to use when testing. These regulations cover all transportation employers, safety-sensitive transportation employees and service agents -roughly 12.1 million people. Encompassed in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 40, the Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance (ODAPC) publishes, implements and provides authoritative interpretations of these rules.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Target1911 wrote:i have been asked to empty my pockets, remove my shoes, raise my pants legs, and even raise my shirt tail to show the waist band of my pants so they can check to make sure nothing is hidden.
Wear nothing but speedos and high heels to the test.

The last time I went somewhere that required a patdown, I wore metallic gold tights and a long shirt just to see...they had me lift the shirttail, then backed away without checking any further. It was in a part of DFW where the outfit wasn't too out of place, though.

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

You got the DOT part of it right but I dont work for TSA. Texas just started new regulations for the TOWING industry AND the DRIVERS. Due to the new regulations all drivers are subject to a random drug test the meets the D.O.T standards. and yes they are more regulated than a normal drug test for Burger King.

I do know that the facility is NOT posted. I was there not long ago for the REQUIRED annual drug screen. They did NOT ask me to raise my shirt the first time but you know that person does things different and it would be possible to get another member of the staff to ask you to jump through the hoops.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Tahoe132

Post by Tahoe132 »

If you find out you are allowed to carry, when I was going to go somewhere where I might have to lift my shirt, I might look into carrying my gun somewhere else?? I guess pocket is out of the question.... maybe some sort of leg holster? Or maybe an under the arm pit holster if you are wearing a button up shirt??
Police Officer to me: I like your Glock shirt, that is what I am carrying on my waist right now.

Me before thinking: Thanks, and me too

Police Officer: :shock:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am also subject to random DOT testing.
The place is not 30.06 posted.
They haven't ever asked me to lift my shirttail.
I don't carry into facility anyway.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”