How Many Of You Go Unarmed Out Of State?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

How Many Of You Go Unarmed Out Of State?

Post by Abraham »

I've considered taking my pistol with me when flying outside Texas, but after reading about the various hurdles one must leap in order to do so, I've always chosen to go unarmed. For me, that's too much bureaucratic bother, so I go empty handed.

Also, I go unarmed when driving out of state. Each state has so many different laws regarding their CHL holders than Texas, I just don't want to risk it.

Sure, I could bone up on each different state's CHL laws, but that aint happening.

Am I alone in this approach?

I wish we had UNIFORM laws regarding CHL's.

M9FAN

Re: How Many Of You Go Unarmed Out Of State?

Post by M9FAN »

If flying, I typically go without a gun. If driving, though, I'll review the laws in each of the states I'm planning to pass through and then make my decision. I agree with you, (although I don't see it happening anytime soon), that it would be nice if all states were to standardize their CHL requirements, rules, etc...
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

Flying - depends on who I'm flying with. If my wife, I'd take it. Business I'm usually with someone that doesn't know I carry, so I don't. The whole bag check thing would be hard to do privately.
Driving - get the current book on all the states laws. Review each state before you get there. An index card with the one or two important differences for each state is very handy. Get a trunk lockbox for those states that aren't friendly.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

bpet

Post by bpet »

Ditto on flying being a burden that causes us to seriously consider the "need" to be armed. I am guilty of conceding to the hassle and not bothering but not lately. I just quit flying.

When driving, I do carry and I do bone up on the laws of states to be visited. There are just too many chances to end up in "the wrong" part of town if you are not familiar with your destination or stops in between.

B
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

ELB

Post by ELB »

Like most challenges, I found the challenge of taking a gun via flying or car to be more in my head than reality. Due to the enlightenment that occurred in state legislatures over the past, I dunno, 10 or 15 years I guess, nearly all the states I want to travel through or to have CCW laws and reciprocal agreements, so really the only excuse not to carry is my own perception of "bother." And it really isn't much bother to me. If fact, I think I am probably more at risk in other states, simply because I am traveling, don't know my surroundings that well, may look like a traveler, etc.

It ain't that hard.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

ELB wrote: I think I am probably more at risk in other states, simply because I am traveling, don't know my surroundings that well, may look like a traveler, etc.
Remember a few years ago the rental car companies in Florida quit putting their logos on their rent cars. Seems the local BGs thought those marked rent-a-rides easy prey since they were tourists, likely carrying valuables and money for the trip, and probably unarmed.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

For the better part of 2006 I travelled, and rarely without my gun.

I did have the advantage of three years of TSA employment and knowledge of their rules plus the excellent resources offered here and at Packing.ORG
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I traveled to canada in feb from south tx and planned my route so i would pass through only states that reciprocate with tx,I carry 24/7 whether at home or on the road traveling I can't tell when somebody may target me,and an out of state tag means tourist,even rental cars have tags from states all over.If i'm going to bespending time in a state i will research their chl laws ,if i'm passing thru I should be legal everywhere i stop as far as refueling and eating.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jimlongley wrote:For the better part of 2006 I travelled, and rarely without my gun.

I did have the advantage of three years of TSA employment and knowledge of their rules plus the excellent resources offered here and at Packing.ORG
Apparently, Packing.org is no longer a going concern. However, USACarry.com has a map maker that shows which states recognized your state's carry permit. You can export the map as a JPEG, which I did, and it is displayed below.

As you can see from the legend, only the states colored in red or black do not recognized the Texas permit. All others do.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I travel armed whenever I can. That's most of the time. It's not hard to be aware of the relevant rules. TX has reciprocity with many other states. So in most places you can carry on your TX CHL. The few places where you can't are mostly the "may issue" states. And there's a couple of exceptions of course. Up to date info can be found on the TX DPS website.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Whenever I travel somewhere that my Texas CHL is honored, I take a pistol. Flying with guns really isn't that big of a hassle. There is even less of an excuse when driving.

tomc

Post by tomc »

Abraham wrote:I've considered taking my pistol with me when flying outside Texas, but after reading about the various hurdles one must leap in order to do so, I've always chosen to go unarmed. For me, that's too much bureaucratic bother, so I go empty handed.

Also, I go unarmed when driving out of state. Each state has so many different laws regarding their CHL holders than Texas, I just don't want to risk it.

Sure, I could bone up on each different state's CHL laws, but that aint happening.

Am I alone in this approach?

I wish we had UNIFORM laws regarding CHL's.
Yea, flying is a real hassle, and keeping up with every states different laws is a big problem, and it would be much better if the laws were more uniform.
But, if you are traveling, and somehow you get in a situation where you really need to defend yourself or your family, are you going to be happy with the consolation that it was just too much of a hassle and I'll probably be OK?
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

locknload

Post by locknload »

We haven't travelled since receiving our CHL's this year. However, we often rent an airplane to fly ourselves, so that wouldn't be a problem. Private citizens seldom get ramp checks, unless they do something stupid in the air. I'll carry, while driving, if we go that way next time, as our destination and all states in between reciprocate. So, that will make it easy. Going to FL to watch a launch might be another thing, though. Have to think about that one.

MBGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MBGuy »

Well, the flying isn't really that much of a hassle. I've taken my Sig to New Orleans and now Louisville, Ky. No problems with both. I just brushed up a little bit on both states, namely carrying in restaurants that happen to have alcohol (my step-daughter we visit loves Outback) and ammo allowed (I have to leave the hollow point at home when i go to Louisiana). Then I printed out the TSA guidelines, and the airlines outline........done. No big deal. Inconsistent procedures, yes, but a hassle? No.

My wife started to give me a hard time, but this last time I asked her "So how much time did visiting the TSA waste, about 3 minutes?". She grudgingly agreed......so I guess I'll be bringing it with me from now on without her guilt-trip looks :hurry:

As far as travelling over asphalt, google.com is your friend. It's not hard to find out quick where you can carry, and at worst, where you have to put it in a locked box in the trunk. Thank goodness I don't have relatives in Wisconsin, Illinois, or California. If I did, I wouldn't claim them :lol:

I say do the research, it really doesn't take long. It's worth it. In New Orleans there was two occasions where I had to keep my eyes on someone's activities/postures/actions, and I was glad I was carrying. Kentucky, not so bad, but I'm still glad not to feel like a sitting duck since my son-in-law doesn't believe crime can happen to him, so he doesn't have any firearms in the house. I'd work on him, but I fear I'm already labeled the paranoid, gun carrying, member of the family.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”