University CHL Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fireball
Posts in topic: 1

University CHL Carry

Post by fireball »

Texas state university discussing CHL carry on campus.

Had phone call from relative who is employed at a university in Texas that his school is discussing allowing Texas CHL holders to carry on his campus but would not allow carry in classrooms or other campus buildings. Anyone else heard about this?

Fireball

mdek

Re: University CHL Carry

Post by mdek »

State law says that you're not allowed to carry "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;" but then adds: "'Premises' has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035," which itself says "'Premises' means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area."

Basically the difference should a school decide to "allow" carrying outside of buildings is that a) you could be able to carry at school events that are held outdoors (as long as you have written permission), and b) if you're found to be carrying, you're not likely to get in trouble with the school and put your education at risk.

Of course, I'm no lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

fireball wrote:Had phone call from relative who is employed at a university in Texas that his school is discussing allowing Texas CHL holders to carry on his campus but would not allow carry in classrooms or other campus buildings. Anyone else heard about this?
No, no, no. You can carry as many guns as you can possibly conceal on any outdoor part of the Texas State campus; This area is public property. I'd would link the article, but the University Star website is under construction. The CHL discussion you're referring to was the main article in Tuesday's paper. It detailed how the CHL referendum had officially passed, thus, a campus-wide student vote is pending. Michael Guzman and a wonderful ally we have in the form of a student senator are responsible for the drafting of this legislation. Unlike the last attempt at allowing CHLs in Texas State buildings, a passing vote will NOT require a change in the Texas legislature in order to change the university policy.

So what does all of this mean? Diddly... I'll put on a sombrero and dance nude in the Quad if the thing even gets 20% of the vote. Too many libs at my school are against it soley because it is conservative-proposed legislation. Most everyone else will vote against it because our that commie rag they call a school paper presents extremely slanted facts on the subject of CHLs anytime it is brought up, so they think that every gang-banger and mentally unstable loon off the street are going to buy guns and carry them around in their backpacks. Ignorance...ugh, I loathe it.

Oh, and before you ask, I've sent three letters to the editor in the last eight months. They won't publish them...
Nemo me impune lacessit.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Snake Doctor wrote:
fireball wrote:Had phone call from relative who is employed at a university in Texas that his school is discussing allowing Texas CHL holders to carry on his campus but would not allow carry in classrooms or other campus buildings. Anyone else heard about this?
No, no, no. You can carry as many guns as you can possibly conceal on any outdoor part of the Texas State campus; This area is public property. I'd would link the article, but the University Star website is under construction. The CHL discussion you're referring to was the main article in Tuesday's paper. It detailed how the CHL referendum had officially passed, thus, a campus-wide student vote is pending. Michael Guzman and a wonderful ally we have in the form of a student senator are responsible for the drafting of this legislation. Unlike the last attempt at allowing CHLs in Texas State buildings, a passing vote will NOT require a change in the Texas legislature in order to change the university policy.

So what does all of this mean? Diddly... I'll put on a sombrero and dance nude in the Quad if the thing even gets 20% of the vote. Too many libs at my school are against it soley because it is conservative-proposed legislation. Most everyone else will vote against it because our that commie rag they call a school paper presents extremely slanted facts on the subject of CHLs anytime it is brought up, so they think that every gang-banger and mentally unstable loon off the street are going to buy guns and carry them around in their backpacks. Ignorance...ugh, I loathe it.

Oh, and before you ask, I've sent three letters to the editor in the last eight months. They won't publish them...

No way! ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

pt145ss

Post by pt145ss »

mdek wrote:State law says that you're not allowed to carry "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;" but then adds: "'Premises' has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035," which itself says "'Premises' means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area."

Basically the difference should a school decide to "allow" carrying outside of buildings is that a) you could be able to carry at school events that are held outdoors (as long as you have written permission), and b) if you're found to be carrying, you're not likely to get in trouble with the school and put your education at risk.

Of course, I'm no lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.
What about a "School Sponsored" event that happens to take place out doors? For example…I know it has not been a school sponsored event in years but when it was…the Texas A & M bonfire. Held outdoors for obvious reason but yet it was a “School Sponsored� event. Could one carry there? How about the Obama rally at Texas State University…it was outdoors…but was it considered a School Sponsored Event…and if so is it legal to carry there under state law?

macktruckturner

Post by macktruckturner »

I'll be joining the fight for CHL rights at Texas State as soon as I finish this other little fight I'm involved in (again). I'll be there Fall '08, and with a mass comm. major, I dare say I'll be in prime position to use my voice.
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”