Airplanes, and weapons???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
quicksaveme
Posts in topic: 2

Airplanes, and weapons???

Post by quicksaveme »

Hey guys, tomorrow afternoon I will be flying to New Jersey to visit a friend for the week. I don't exactly feel comfortable being over there with absolutely nothing to protect myself with, because we will be going into NYC and various other places that may or may not be breeding grounds for crime.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do? I don't really know what my options are so I'm open to almost anything. Is there any way to get a knife through? Not through carry on of course but by any means??

Well I'm open to all suggestions I would just like to have SOMETHING to protect myself in the smallest way while I'm there.

Have a good day guys.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

You can pack a knife in your checked baggage. No special procedures are allowed.

Check the laws in NY and NJ as to carrying or possessing a knife before you do it though. If the knife is not legal on that end, you could still get in trouble carrying it.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Even guns in your checked bags would not raise any eyebrows, but taking them to NJ, much less NY is just asking for trouble.

As advised above, check the laws of the states and cities you will be visiting very carefully before going.

You might also consider visiting friendlier places instead.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Assuming you're judicious about where/when you go, you'll most likely have no problems there.

I don't know the legal status of taking or carrying a knife in either place, but I think most folks that carry one don't know how to use one effectively or simply "wouldn't" when it came right down to it.

I believe OC is a better tool for the majority of folks. After that, I suggest a good cane. You can still take a cane anyplace (or opt not to), and even without training...you have a very effective weapon against threats/attacks (not involving a firearm) that occur at close quarters.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
quicksaveme

Post by quicksaveme »

Well I now know how to fly with a firearm after calling Continental and IAH. I also looked up which states honor Texas' CHL, and New Jersey along with New York is not one of them. So I guess I will not be flying with my CCW.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

quicksaveme wrote:Well I now know how to fly with a firearm after calling Continental and IAH. I also looked up which states honor Texas' CHL, and New Jersey along with New York is not one of them. So I guess I will not be flying with my CCW.
If you knew the history of NJ and NY you would realize how funny it is to even bother looking it up. I have heard that even BB guns in NJ arent allowed! Only the criminals in Jersey are allowed guns.

4t5

Re: Airplanes, and weapons???

Post by 4t5 »

quicksaveme wrote:Is there any way to get a knife through? Not through carry on of course but by any means??
You can get a plastic knife. EBAY search: polymer knife. You can get it through the metal detector, but if you should be picked for a pat-down, lookout. I accidentally sneaked my fingernail clippers through recently. They were in my jacket pocket covered by a bunch of coins. I felt like a real bad boy being armed in the secure area of the airport, and even on the plane. I pictured myself thwarting a hijacking by swinging out the little nail file and jamming it into the neck of a terrorist.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

You can fly with a small flashlight (Surefire e2e, Fenix P3D, etc)

I do.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

4t5 wrote:
quicksaveme wrote:Is there any way to get a knife through? Not through carry on of course but by any means??
You can get a plastic knife. EBAY search: polymer knife. You can get it through the metal detector, but if you should be picked for a pat-down, lookout. I accidentally sneaked my fingernail clippers through recently. They were in my jacket pocket covered by a bunch of coins. I felt like a real bad boy being armed in the secure area of the airport, and even on the plane. I pictured myself thwarting a hijacking by swinging out the little nail file and jamming it into the neck of a terrorist.

There are dozens of polymer knives out there, but I sure wouldn't want to be caught with one (where illegal).

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/knife-bla ... llins.html
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

iflyabeech
Posts in topic: 4

Post by iflyabeech »

4t5 wrote:
Should we really be passing information like this on a public forum? Your suggestions are bordering on criminal.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

Criminals know more than we do where to get this stuff. Nothing to see here for them.

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

rm9792 wrote:Criminals know more than we do where to get this stuff. Nothing to see here for them.
There are a lot of things that don't need to be publicly talked about. This is one of them. Why would you want to enable someone? How do you know what they know? Do you want to take that chance with your family on an airplane?

Maybe you responded without much thought!

Xander

Post by Xander »

iflyabeech wrote:
rm9792 wrote:Criminals know more than we do where to get this stuff. Nothing to see here for them.
There are a lot of things that don't need to be publicly talked about. This is one of them. Why would you want to enable someone? How do you know what they know? Do you want to take that chance with your family on an airplane?

Maybe you responded without much thought!
Nonsense. Security by obscurity isn't security at all...Only a false sense thereof. rm9792 is absolutely right. Criminals know all they need to know (more than we do) and they aren't trolling our little forum for ideas.

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

Fine then you be the one who supplies information to a criminal who then uses said information to harm someone.

I sure hope its not my friends or family that is harmed.

They have to get information somewhere. Probably it is from their scumbag buddies, but WHAT IF they got this information from a public forum such as this? Do YOU want to be responsible for that? I ask again--how do you know what they are doing or what they know?

Second, by providing such information, you are possibly setting yourself and the owners of this forum up for legal trouble.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”