Shooting Qualification: Any funny stories?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Moonpie
Posts in topic: 1

Shooting Qualification: Any funny stories?

Post by Moonpie »

I love the qualification shoot part of the CHL course. Usually get to see some pretty offbeat guns. Some that haven't seen daylight since 1964!
Have any of you folks got some fun/interesting/off the wall tales form your qualification?

One fellow brought out a Webley .455. Of course he loaded it with .45acp and promptly jammed a revolver! We all had to stop while the entire line was halted so this idjit could clear his weapon. Which he couldn't do.

Another elderly lady had the most vicious little .380. When ever she would shoot it would spit a red hot brass directly to the right and down my shirt or into the side of my head! Still have the scars. :shock:

At this shoot, our instructor directed us to fire 5 rds at the whistle and stop firing at the second whislte. This one fellow had an old USGI .45 1911A1. At the whistle he started firing, dropped the mag, inserted another and kept firing even after the second whistle had blown.
The instructor barked at him "What are you doing?!?! I told you to fire 5 rds!" The old fellow said "I know how to use the gun!"
The instructor said " I sure hope you have 14 more rounds because none of those count!" :roll:

TerryB

Post by TerryB »

Last qualification, the instructor came up to me and said"you need to scatter those shots out a little bit at least. You only get one point per hole and so far you only got one big ragged point".

TerryB

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

TerryB wrote:Last qualification, the instructor came up to me and said"you need to scatter those shots out a little bit at least. You only get one point per hole and so far you only got one big ragged point".

TerryB
Thats good!
Welcome to the Forum btw!

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

Only that i kept getting jammed up cuz i was running late and picked up some unproven ammo :(

Just a bit embarrassing.

utdbear

Post by utdbear »

I shot all 5s on mine, and hit one on the line on my very last shot. My instructor says he wasn't going to give it to me because he wanted me to go to advanced training.

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

One of the shooter beside me was using a Llama 1911 brandnew. It kept jamming every second round. the instructor got irritated and told him to get a rental gun . After the shooting session, the dude said, Im selling this baby/ Hhahha

waltherone

Post by waltherone »

utdbear wrote:I shot all 5s on mine, and hit one on the line on my very last shot. My instructor says he wasn't going to give it to me because he wanted me to go to advanced training.
Similar to me, I shot all 5's on mine, but had one down in almost the pelvic region of the target. I mean WAY low, from me flinching on the very first 15yd. shot. I was irritated. Instructor came around and pointed at that one spot and said "who was in the lane next to you?" :lol:

yobdab

Post by yobdab »

A guy next to me had a brand new berreta 9mm, he fired about 10rnds when the grip broke free and the slide could nt be pulled back. He had to use a rental after that
/////////////////////////////////////
NRA and TSRA
P226 P245 GP100 PLR-16
Μολών λαβέ
/////////////////////////////////////

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I think I must hold the state scoring record. Out of 50 rounds I had 51 hits. The person next to me had a slight accuracy issue, and yes he was qualified by the instructor. Having now been through the original course and 2 renewals I believe the only way you can fail the shooting test is to fire a round that hits the instructor.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Houston1944 wrote:I think I must hold the state scoring record. Out of 50 rounds I had 51 hits. The person next to me had a slight accuracy issue, and yes he was qualified by the instructor. Having now been through the original course and 2 renewals I believe the only way you can fail the shooting test is to fire a round that hits the instructor.
Well, There was a lady in my class that didn't hit the instructor but she did fail. I swear it was her first time to ever pick up a handgun. And the instructor had himself and I attempting to help her out but there was a bit of a language barrier as well. Mother & Daughter took the class - daughter wasn't great, but passed. The safest place to be on that firing line was her target, but thankfully she (mostly) kept it pointed down range. I did have to remind her and point it downrange a few times while she was doing things like cocking and putting the safety on.

Turns out that we had the same model of handgun for qualifying (Ruger P89) and that hers had some mechanical problems so I loaned her mine. Well, the action on mine was a bit tougher than hers and she couldn't cycle it. She really needed to shoot a few hours and then come to the CHL course - she did okay on the classroom part but dang! The CHL class is NOT the place to fire a handgun for the first time in your life.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

My wife fired a perfect score, with what had been my XD9 that she then declared was hers. The instructor, who I knew, got all up in my face wanting to know why, if I trained her, I couldn't outshoot her. I dropped two points pulling to the left on two different shots, and only scored 248. One of the other students thought the instructor was really serious while he was kidding me.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

bullseye10x

Newbie here...

Post by bullseye10x »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but a lifelong shooter and long time member of a few other boards. Just took my CHL class last month and am currently in the dreaded waiting room :waiting:

Anyway, I had an interesting qualification day to say the least: We met at the range on a Saturday morning before class, so everyone was still kind of waking up. I volunteered to be in the first relay so I could have time to grab breakfast on the way back to class. Right as we're lining up, loading up, and getting ready to sling lead, a stray cat walks down the side of the line and starts heading in our general direction. Then, as the instructor gets on the PA and is calling out the first stage of fire, the critter JUMPS ON THE BERM IN FRONT OF THE TARGETS :shock: Everybody sees the furball and goes back to low-ready, but the instructor just says "go ahead and shoot, he'll move"(?!) Several people still hesitated, and it's a good thing I did because he was right in front of my silhouette when the shootin' started :fire I've never seen a cat jump so high or run so fast; he climbed the nearly vertical backstop with rounds impacting all around him. Someone give that kitty a combat action ribbon :smilelol5:

Other than some guy with an el-junko 1911 that jammed every other shot, the rest of the day was uneventful.

See ya'll around the forum!

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Newbie here...

Post by jimlongley »

bullseye10x wrote:Hi Everyone, . . .
=Then, as the instructor gets on the PA and is calling out the first stage of fire, the critter JUMPS ON THE BERM IN FRONT OF THE TARGETS :shock: Everybody sees the furball and goes back to low-ready, but the instructor just says "go ahead and shoot, he'll move"(?!) Several people still hesitated, and it's a good thing I did because he was right in front of my silhouette when the shootin' started :fire I've never seen a cat jump so high or run so fast; he climbed the nearly vertical backstop with rounds impacting all around him. Someone give that kitty a combat action ribbon :smilelol5:

Other than some guy with an el-junko 1911 that jammed every other shot, the rest of the day was uneventful.

See ya'll around the forum!
Sounds like "Bullseye" the black and white cat out at Collin County Gun Range, who used to calmly walk in and out of the targets during IDPA matches.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Turfspanker

Post by Turfspanker »

During qualification at an indoor range, one side of my target wouldn't stay attached to the movable rail so the target profile was moving around quite a bit.

The instructor asked if I minded that the target was moving.
I told him no problem.

Then he asked if I would like to turn it around.
I told him no...I wouldn't even shoot a target in the back.
Glock 23, Glock 27, Sig P226

fm2

Post by fm2 »

The guy next to me had borrowed a 1911 and on one string had a thumb over thumb grip. :shock: I told him before the fire command.
He also had the slide locked back before one string started.

Oh, on my first range qual. the person next to me had brass bouncing off me, and the side of my gun. I remember seeing one piece of brass bounce off the top of my glock slide. LOL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”