Since Permitless Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Since Permitless Carry

Post by longtooth »

Since permitless carry was evident that it was going to pass have any of you instructors seen a noticeable drop in class attendance???

I still encourage those who ask to keep, renew, go get the LTC. Too many advantages.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Since Permitless Carry

Post by striker55 »

I'll be renewing mine, next year in fact.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

longtooth wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:38 am Since permitless carry was evident that it was going to pass have any of you instructors seen a noticeable drop in class attendance???

I still encourage those who ask to keep, renew, go get the LTC. Too many advantages.
YES..

We had to pull back bi-monthly online range qualifications for 2 locations to once per month. We had to pull back bi-weekly in person classes back to 1 per month. I've seen a little uptick in the last few weeks but not much... But my company that I work for doesn't have their own range. We use Cabella's classrooms...

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Definitely. Usually our Saturday classes were always max'd out at 9 students. My most recent Saturday class had five (back in mid-Sept) and the instructor teaching today had three. My Saturday class for next week has zero registrations so far.

This is in line with what Dr. Lott stated in his testimony before the hearing committee. For the first six to nine months after passage, he stated that other states saw a drop in class attendance, but after that, it increased back to previous levels and then went higher when folks learned that they did not know the laws as well as they thought. Saw a case of that last week in the Academy ammo line. Individual open carrying a Taurus in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster. Politely inquired if he was enjoying the new permit-less carry. He stated that he was and that now he could carry anywhere he wanted in Texas. I asked if he knew what a 30.05 sign was. He stated that all those signs are now obsolete and there were no restrictions on where he could carry. Tried to tell him different, but his response was that i did not know what I was talking about. We will see.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Logan'sGlock

Post by Logan'sGlock »

Uncle Mikes?!?!! Just asking for trouble. I myself am very picky about holsters. Also just renewed my LTC I would much rather just have it then not. To much confusion and ambiguity with permitless carry.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:58 pm Definitely. Usually our Saturday classes were always max'd out at 9 students. My most recent Saturday class had five (back in mid-Sept) and the instructor teaching today had three. My Saturday class for next week has zero registrations so far.

This is in line with what Dr. Lott stated in his testimony before the hearing committee. For the first six to nine months after passage, he stated that other states saw a drop in class attendance, but after that, it increased back to previous levels and then went higher when folks learned that they did not know the laws as well as they thought. Saw a case of that last week in the Academy ammo line. Individual open carrying a Taurus in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster. Politely inquired if he was enjoying the new permit-less carry. He stated that he was and that now he could carry anywhere he wanted in Texas. I asked if he knew what a 30.05 sign was. He stated that all those signs are now obsolete and there were no restrictions on where he could carry. Tried to tell him different, but his response was that i did not know what I was talking about. We will see.
Your reply spurred me to create a social media post where I (hopefully) explained to those I know who this may affect that either they should look into taking the LTC class, or at least educate themselves on the subject. I'm sure some folks will do the "TL,DR" thing, but if they do, that's on them. Some folks are dense and only learn things the hard way. I also ensured that I placed the standard disclaimer at the top of the post I made (IANAL, this is not legal advice, for informational purposes only).

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

For the record, Permitless carry went into law on 9/1/2021 and 2 days later I got my renewal letter. First stop after the mailbox was the computer and my new plastic has been in my wallet for over a week.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:49 pm For the record, Permitless carry went into law on 9/1/2021 and 2 days later I got my renewal letter. First stop after the mailbox was the computer and my new plastic has been in my wallet for over a week.
Yes sir, That was my case too. Will expire 1-14-22. Renewed soon as I entered the 6 month window and been carrying new plastic DL and LTC for a while. Received DL w/in 2 weeks and LTC in less than a month. Don't remember exact time frame.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:58 pm
Unfortunately people are lazy and don’t take the time to learn facts (seems especially true the last year or so). Some of those will learn the hard way that their ignorance of the law is costing them time and money.
Hopefully none of them will cause incidents that results in heavy media coverage and the political will to roll back the gain in liberty.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

longtooth wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:38 am Since permitless carry was evident that it was going to pass have any of you instructors seen a noticeable drop in class attendance???

I have noticed a slight drop in the number of people I fingerprint for LTC on any given day. It seems reasonable to correlate this to a possible decrease in applications.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Logan'sGlock wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:06 pm Uncle Mikes?!?!! Just asking for trouble. I myself am very picky about holsters. Also just renewed my LTC I would much rather just have it then not. To much confusion and ambiguity with permitless carry.
I thought there would be a number of folks try to get out and carry immediately after the Sept. start date just because they could. Figured probably OC. Here in Deep East Texas, maybe the per capita carry capital of Texas, I have only seen one. It was just a day or 2 into Sept and was in Home Depot. Academy special shooter sack, hold most, fit none, w/ a well worn sagging belt. I did not get to talk to him but that is the only one I have seen in the 1st month. It has been my experience over the years that those who will not invest in quality gear soon cull themselves due to the comfort issue. (or lack thereof.)

rubiconjp

Post by rubiconjp »

A quick question - I did a quick lookup and it seems that Constitutional carry is kinda pointless in an urban area because of Federal law of no weapon within 1000 ft of any public or private school. :shock:

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

rubiconjp wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 pm A quick question - I did a quick lookup and it seems that Constitutional carry is kinda pointless in an urban area because of Federal law of no weapon within 1000 ft of any public or private school. :shock:
Looking at the San Antonio area most schools are miles apart so I don't think that would be a problem, even taking into account that one can't drive through the zone.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jmorris wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:17 pm
rubiconjp wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 pm A quick question - I did a quick lookup and it seems that Constitutional carry is kinda pointless in an urban area because of Federal law of no weapon within 1000 ft of any public or private school. :shock:
Looking at the San Antonio area most schools are miles apart so I don't think that would be a problem, even taking into account that one can't drive through the zone.
I'd suspect that most off duty cops routinely drive through school zones, and I'd further suspect that many of those folks don't have LTC's. Yet I'm somehow not hearing about a rash of officers being arrested for violating the GFSZA, so I think this isn't a big concern.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

longtooth wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:06 am
Logan'sGlock wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:06 pm Uncle Mikes?!?!! Just asking for trouble. I myself am very picky about holsters. Also just renewed my LTC I would much rather just have it then not. To much confusion and ambiguity with permitless carry.
I thought there would be a number of folks try to get out and carry immediately after the Sept. start date just because they could. Figured probably OC. Here in Deep East Texas, maybe the per capita carry capital of Texas, I have only seen one. It was just a day or 2 into Sept and was in Home Depot. Academy special shooter sack, hold most, fit none, w/ a well worn sagging belt. I did not get to talk to him but that is the only one I have seen in the 1st month. It has been my experience over the years that those who will not invest in quality gear soon cull themselves due to the comfort issue. (or lack thereof.)
i thought for a minute describing a guy we have in our neighborhood, he thinks he is billy the kid...he told me he was carrying because the law was changed....long before gov singed the law, because he knows everything.
he carries a cheap revolver in an ill fitting cheap holster that needs a tie at the bottom around his leg. it swings around and looks reallllllly funny he is at my neighbors-house all the time.
wears that thing all the time, even building the porch. he is not a very good ambassador for OC or anything firearm related imo
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”