Carry at holiday parties

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Carry at holiday parties

Post by Oldgringo »

What's with you people? Just because we have a Texas CHL doesn't mean we HAVE TO carry anywhere. A CHL enhances our choices, it doesn't dictate them.

In our particular instance above, I CHOSE NOT to carry to the Saturday night party in the home of our first CHL instructor (there were at least a half dozen CHL's in attendance). The next day, Sunday, I CHOSE TO carry to the Christmas service in the house of the Lord. In both instances, Mrs. Oldgringo and I exercised our liberties, did our thing and arrived home safely thereafter.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

Oldgringo wrote:What's with you people? Just because we have a Texas CHL doesn't mean we HAVE TO carry anywhere. A CHL enhances our choices, it doesn't dictate them.

In our particular instance above, I CHOSE NOT to carry to the Saturday night party in the home of our first CHL instructor (there were at least a half dozen CHL's in attendance). The next day, Sunday, I CHOSE TO carry to the Christmas service in the house of the Lord. In both instances, Mrs. Oldgringo and I exercised our liberties, did our thing and arrived home safely thereafter.
You are absolutely right, but I CHOOSE to carry or I CHOOSE not to go. As for carrying at Mom's, if I didn't carry, I would be the only adult there not carrying including Momma. She got her CHL before I did.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 30

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

txglock21 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:What's with you people? Just because we have a Texas CHL doesn't mean we HAVE TO carry anywhere. A CHL enhances our choices, it doesn't dictate them.

You are absolutely right, but I CHOOSE to carry or I CHOOSE not to go. As for carrying at Mom's, if I didn't carry, I would be the only adult there not carrying including Momma. She got her CHL before I did.
I don't think there is anything wrong with people except for a possible misinterpretation of what a right is. We have the right to carry, or the right not to carry. It works both ways. But it is my choice. Not yours, my mommies or my ex chl instructor. I saw a few posts saying they would not go if told not to carry. That is also a choice. The reality of it all is, I have no such weird folks in my circle of friends or family. The very nature of that request, indicates a person I would not associate with in the first place.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
txglock21 wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with people except for a possible misinterpretation of what a right is. We have the right to carry, or the right not to carry. It works both ways. But it is my choice. Not yours, my mommies or my ex chl instructor. I saw a few posts saying they would not go if told not to carry. That is also a choice. The reality of it all is, I have no such weird folks in my circle of friends or family. The very nature of that request, indicates a person I would not associate with in the first place.
Exactly! Is this a great country or what? :patriot:

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
txglock21 wrote:

I guess that depends on what part of the country you live in.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

03Lightningrocks

jmra wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
txglock21 wrote:

You mean east Texas vs West or North Texas? Our country is huge but I am pretty sure, with the exception of KaliAustin, most folks in the great Nation of Texas are believers in the RKBA. :txflag:

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
jmra wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
txglock21 wrote:

You mean east Texas vs West or North Texas? Our country is huge but I am pretty sure, with the exception of KaliAustin, most folks in the great Nation of Texas are believers in the RKBA. :txflag:
With that I agree wholeheartedly.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare »

Oldgringo wrote:What's with you people? Just because we have a Texas CHL doesn't mean we HAVE TO carry anywhere.
I don't HAVE TO wear underwear but I do. That's one of the personal choices I make about what's under my clothes.

If someone said I wasn't welcome at their party if I wear boxers, or a handgun, that doesn't sound like the kind of party I would enjoy anyway. Butt others might love that kind of party. Live and let live.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

If I'm outside the doors of my home, I'm carrying something...

What was the question again??

:patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag: :patriot: :txflag:
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

:iagree:

03Lightningrocks

Lol... We have officially posted every angle imaginable, like five times and agreed or argued with them no less than twice on each opinion. I love circular threads. :deadhorse:

drumbdummer

Post by drumbdummer »

Jihans wrote:I just don't buy all the "absolute" posts... No gray or other options. Concealed is concealed. If I can't Carry I don't go. Unless they post a sign or specifically tell me I carry whether they like it or not.

Let me throw out this hypothetical. Your mom hates guns. Always has. As a kid you weren't even allowed to have a cap gun. Now, mom's having Christmas dinner. Do you carry? No, she's not going to tell you not to.....she feels she shouldn't have to, you know how she feels and she's mom. No 30.06 sign posted. Sure, concealed is concealed...she would never know.... But you would know you disrespected your mom.

So, for all the black and white absolutes out there. If you can't carry you don't go............ to moms on Christmas? Is mom's house really like a business...... If she doesn't post her house you carry even if you know it would break her heart if she found out? If mom doesn't know because concealed is concealed.... it is OK? We can choose our friends but not our relatives...or boss. So substitute Aunt Big Butt or your boss Mr. Hardnose for mom in the situation above. We all get invited to holiday parties that we have to go to for one reason or another. Is it still so black and white? Does my right to carry trump my respect for mom?
Ok, I'll put this out there. Without going into detail, there is one person who has caused me to get a CHL. I grew up in the kind of house that you describe. My mother knows I have a CHL. She knows why I have a CHL. She doesn't LIKE that I have it or feel a need to have it. She also knows I carry when I can legally at all times. It's not a lack of respect for me to bring it to her house (150 miles away). It's that I am just as concerned at her house as I am at my own. She knows it. She doesn't like it, but she accepts that I am a grown man who is abiding by the law when carrying. If she asked me not to bring it in her house, I would agree not to do so. Until then, I will (and do) carry in her house even though she doesn't like it.

I will add this though... even though she doesn't agree.... she bought me a new holster for Christmas... so I KNOW she understands and respects my decision. :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I guess I live in an area where it just wouldn't even occur to anyone to include "no guns" in their invitation. And it's not even that they are pro or con CHL, or pro or con the RKBA. It's just that it's not on their radar. I'm pretty sure that the woman down the street who invited us to her neighborhood Christmas open house knows at some level that I carry. I know that her husband knows because he asks me for gun advice from time to time, and CHL has come up in that conversation. At that party, I saw two guys relatively new to the neighborhood whom I met for the first time, both of whom I think probably carry (manner of dress, movement, etc.), one of whom I am fairly certain was carrying at that moment. But I never got into that conversation with them.

That said, I live in a fairly conservative and nice neighborhood, in a fairly conservative town.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I've seen all sorts of invitations to various gatherings that contained the request, "RSVP". I've even seen invitations that requested "No Children"; however, I've never seen any invitation that contained the caveat of, "NO GUNS, Please". :smilelol5:

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote:I've seen all sorts of invitations to various gatherings that contained the request, "RSVP". I've even seen invitations that requested "No Children"; however, I've never seen any invitation that contained the caveat of, "NO GUNS, Please". :smilelol5:
Yeah true. Neither has anyone else in the world. But we love arguing about whether or not ghosts exist on the Texas CHL forum. :biggrinjester:

So far my favorite emotion based post was my mommy being heartbroken... "rlol" . That was a classic!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”