Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by KBCraig »

My wife refuses to pay good money to the state of Texas to exercise a right. She doesn't carry now, but swears she will get her $10 Revolver & Pistol License when we move to New Hampshire, and will carry regularly. And will make sure our daughter does likewise (she'll be 19 or 20 at the time, depending on when we make the move).

It's fun to be married to a lady who is even more libertarian/anarcho-capitalist than I am. :grin:

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NcongruNt »

I've seen a lot of posts about the state fees being prohibitive, and would like to throw in something I have read, and welcome feedback as to its validity.

The reason the fees are as high as they are, is that the CHL program is entirely funded by those fees. This is important because this keeps CHL records out of ordinary public record. Drivers license records are accessible to anyone, as the DL system is publicly funded.

Huff9337

Time

Post by Huff9337 »

The reason I have not taken the classes yet is time. I work nights and weekends. I get off work at 8am on saturday and most classes are started before I can get there.
Next I moved here from Tennessee where I had my carry permit for 5+ years. It is recoginized in Texas, but when I got a Texas DL. TN cancelled my permit. Texas says I must still take the classes. Why, they recoginize Tn permits. Well I have vented enough. Will find some way to get a saturday off even if I have to take a vacation day.
You All have a nice day.
Terry
Terry Huffman
MSG Retired

RyanZX759

re:

Post by RyanZX759 »

I have been alive for 25 years and have walked out of situations people said I would never get out of. However, I sat in my bed one day (ironically its a nice neighborhood) and I can name 5 neighbors who have criminal backgrounds or some other malfunction. They all have rifles and pistols. They also are complete idiots.

Once again I live in a nice neighborhood, so I imagine its almost the same thing everywhere else. I don't know the statistics, but I count 5 people with some sort of illegal history and then there is me.

I applied for the CHL despite its cost burden, because there are crazy people out there and the incompetent cops. (no disrespect to law enforcement, but police are human also) The CHL offers some protection against the gun laws that make little sense to me. The farthest it will be concealed is undneath my car seat.

Honestly, shooting someone is the very last thing I would want to do to someone and I was always into rifles when I was in the country. I have never been handcuffed or arrested in my life, but I had one bad experience with a cop that was not mentally competent at the time I was pulled over.

I don't want to offend law enforcement members on this board, because most are great people. Let me give you guys some credit, since it is also relevant:

I was pulled over on the way home from Dallas two weeks ago late at night and there is a prison in Huntsville. Since, I was on vacation I had my clothes on the hanger in my pick up truck making it impossible to get a look at who I was until you actually reach the vehicle. He carried an extra side-arm strapped to his thigh, so obviously this was a high risk stop. I put one arm on the edge of the window and the other on the dash. He was completely calm and alert. I assumed he was likely an Army Ranger, because he never persperated when approaching the vehicle and I just remember him being so alert. If there is a course out there that can teach those skills I want to know about it.

Anyways, I honestly feel that the majority of guns are in the wrong hands. By the way, am I supposed to sit back at the University of Houston if someone fires a gun and kills 32 people on campus??

Anyways, I appreciate this msg board. I am curious if yall have anyone drop your class, because they couldn't afford the handgun? I just want to get the CHL course done and recieve the license.

Sara_XD

Post by Sara_XD »

Walter wrote:I agree the initial cost may be prohibitive for some folks, but I am not
buying the idea that spending 8 to 10 hours on classroom and range
training is too much of a time-commitment.
Capital B, Capital S!

A license to carry a concealed handgun is not something to be
taken lightly. A person gets licensed to carry a concealed weapon
to be prepared for the possibility they may have to defend their self
with "deadly force". Anybody who is unwilling to spend 8 or 10
hours learning the basics of Texas law concerning the use of "deadly
force", and all the ramifications of it, should forget about packing a
gun.

And that IS my opinion.

Walter
WOW!
umm maybe 8-10 hours is not too much time to invest in getting your liscense, from what I hear nobody is disputing that! just that all at once, it's kinda hard to get away from life for 10 hours on a saturday when you are a single parent.......
if they could split the time up a bit then it would be easier on us busy people.

RubenZ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RubenZ »

I'm new to the Forum.

I just applied for a CHL last Monday and got my Packet and Pin in the mail this last Friday.

I'm 26. What took me so long was Cost. 140.00 for app and 125.00 for class was lot for me especially on a college student budget. Now that I'm a full time employee and get a decent check I can make the leap.

I'm signed up for the Class on the 21 and hopefully soon after I should be getting my license.

Dougmyers5

Motivated to get it!

Post by Dougmyers5 »

I wanted to take the CHL class for years but I worked for the Airlines and that means working weekends and second and third shift so I was always tired and out of sorts feeling.
I figured if I went to a 10 to 15 hour CHL class I would be too sleepy to do it as my sleep time was during the day for years and would end up making the instructor mad so I put it off for way to long.
Also my DW said I didn't need it so why bother. :evil:
Anyway I retired a couple of years back so I decided to go and get my CHL this year after certain circumstances took place around me concerning my safety.
Long story short wifes nephew got out of prison after 20 years and started coming around wanting money and a place to stay. He was in for armed robbery, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and arson of the robbery place.
Thats why I found time and did the CHL with DW blessings this time. ;-)

DW = Darling Wife
2be1-ask1
-----------------
DougMyers
NRA Endowed Life Member
CHL Issued June 2007
Member # 1567
http://www.texasopencarry.com/

papabear

Post by papabear »

Glad you did it before & not shut the gate after the cows got out.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Venus Pax »

I'm curious about renewals:
Since DPS handles this, why can't a person just show up at a local DPS office with renewal class paperwork, take a picture, pay $10 (like the driver's license renewal), and leave?
Why is getting a renewal such a production? It doesn't seem that they would need to run a criminal history check again. Wouldn't they know about it if a CHL holder committed a felony after receiving the first license?
Just curious on this.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

BShook
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BShook »

The only reason I haven't gotten a CHL yet is because I'm 20.

The day I turn 21 I'm starting the process.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

BShook wrote:The day I turn 21 I'm starting the process.
You can mail the packet on your 21st birthday.

You have to be 21 on the day you sign the affidavit.

- Jim

RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

2 Factors for me played a role in waiting so long.

1.) COST - I just got a full time job last year and until then money was tight that spending money on a CHL was the last thing I needed to do. There was first the cost of Application, Class, then I needed a gun etc. All in all the cost of getting my CHL including GUN, Holster, Belt is going to run me 8-900.00

2.) TIME - I just never could put 10hrs in one day. And after taking the course, I really don't see a need for it. I wish they would do it like they do the Hunters Education Course. You go over the material online. That way you can go over the powerpoints, etc online, then you go to a simple 4-5 hour class to go over it all, ask questions and take the Test and Shoot. I mean seriously, did any of you actually think you had to attend 10 - 15 hrs of instruction. It's all common sense material that could be learned in probably 30 minutes.

EDIT: I just realized I already posted in this thread LOL

stormbringerr

other

Post by stormbringerr »

i voted other because of this reason, is their a way to find out that you will be issued a chl license without spending 125 for the class and 140 to send in the application?
can you send in the application first and see if you qualify and if so then take the class from an instructor later.
.i dont want to spend a lot of time and money and then find out i was denied because of some 20yr old dwi or something. do you see what im saying?
in other words can you have your legal and medical background checked first to see if you pass that and then if its good go ahead and take all the tests written and shooting.
later, Stormbringerr

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Carl Jung

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Crossfire »

If you can answer "yes" to the 14 Preliminary Eligibility Questions here, then you are probably eligible. Click on "continue", then "apply for a license" to get there.

If you have a specific question after checking that out, then you should call the DPS helpline at 1-800-224-5744 or send an email to chl@txdps.state.tx.us
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

BShook
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BShook »

seamusTX wrote:
BShook wrote:The day I turn 21 I'm starting the process.
You can mail the packet on your 21st birthday.

You have to be 21 on the day you sign the affidavit.

- Jim
So I can go ahead and register and get the packet now?

Where's the link, I'm on it. :D

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”