Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by suthdj »

jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
thetexan wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
thetexan wrote:The only way Whataburger can discriminate against a patron for having a gun is to notify him with a proper 30.06 or 30.07 notification which includes a verbal notification by someone with authority to give it.

tex
Incorrect. If you walk past a proper 30.07 sign and a cop sees you, or if someone calls the police on you (wihout any notification to you) and the police show up, you can be ticketed for a class C misdemeanor. If someone with authority asks you depart and you don't, then you can be given a class A misdemeanor.
That's what I just said...if you walk past a sign you are in violation. If you have been notified by a written document and trespass you are in violation. If you are verbally notified and you continue you are in violation. What I said is that if they wish to LEGALLY discriminate against you and not give you service it had better be due to a LEGAL method or else they run the risk of LEGAL problems. Someone coming up to me and stating the following six words..."sir, you will have to leave" does not LEGALLY verbally notify me according to either 30.06 or 30.07. They would need to be more specific such as for example..."sir, if you want to continue to carry your gun I will have to ask you to leave. Else I could say they didn't like me because I was fat or old or the wrong gender or whatever. A fine point but that's all I was saying.

I don't think they have a problem with a gun they cannot see or that can't be seen. They object to it being visible.

tex
Read again they dont want "weapons" in there. No exceptions, except LEO's
I read it again - the memo deals specifically with open carry and how to address it.
"We respect our customers’ Second Amendment right regarding gun ownership, however Whataburger does not allow the open carry of firearms in restaurants for the safety and comfort of our other customers and employees.”
From the story in the original link.
Whats the last sentence in the opening paragraph, in the posted image?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

suthdj, no I hadn't read the fine print at the bottom until you pointed it out.

Had to copy the image, paste it in an image editing program and expand it, to even read most of it.

It says that 'the information contained herein is the proprietary and confidential work product of the whataburger system' - and not to share it with anybody who is not a whatburger employee.

So - thanks for pointing out the fine print, but I'm confused.

Why don't they simply post 30.07 instead of putting their employees in the awkward position of giving openly-armed customers verbal notice?
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

suthdj wrote:
jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
thetexan wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
thetexan wrote:The only way Whataburger can discriminate against a patron for having a gun is to notify him with a proper 30.06 or 30.07 notification which includes a verbal notification by someone with authority to give it.

tex
Incorrect. If you walk past a proper 30.07 sign and a cop sees you, or if someone calls the police on you (wihout any notification to you) and the police show up, you can be ticketed for a class C misdemeanor. If someone with authority asks you depart and you don't, then you can be given a class A misdemeanor.
That's what I just said...if you walk past a sign you are in violation. If you have been notified by a written document and trespass you are in violation. If you are verbally notified and you continue you are in violation. What I said is that if they wish to LEGALLY discriminate against you and not give you service it had better be due to a LEGAL method or else they run the risk of LEGAL problems. Someone coming up to me and stating the following six words..."sir, you will have to leave" does not LEGALLY verbally notify me according to either 30.06 or 30.07. They would need to be more specific such as for example..."sir, if you want to continue to carry your gun I will have to ask you to leave. Else I could say they didn't like me because I was fat or old or the wrong gender or whatever. A fine point but that's all I was saying.

I don't think they have a problem with a gun they cannot see or that can't be seen. They object to it being visible.

tex
I read it again - the memo deals specifically with open carry and how to address it.
"We respect our customers’ Second Amendment right regarding gun ownership, however Whataburger does not allow the open carry of firearms in restaurants for the safety and comfort of our other customers and employees.”
Can't take one sentence out of context and try to use it to make your argument valid. The context of the memo is obviously openly carried firearms. To my knowledge, WB has never and does not currently oppose CHL CC. The statement I quoted makes the intent very clear.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

BobCat wrote:suthdj, no I hadn't read the fine print at the bottom until you pointed it out.

Had to copy the image, paste it in an image editing program and expand it, to even read most of it.

It says that 'the information contained herein is the proprietary and confidential work product of the whataburger system' - and not to share it with anybody who is not a whatburger employee.

Why don't they simply post 30.07 instead of putting their employees in the awkward position of giving openly-armed customers verbal notice?
Because they don't want a sign blocking window space? Because they're not going to change it every time the wording changes? Because it's completely unnecessary given the law regarding verbal notice?

Asking someone to cover it up isn't awkward. Dealing with a grown adult throwing a tantrum is.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

Post by suthdj »

jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
thetexan wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:

tex

tex
Can't take one sentence out of context and try to use it to make your argument valid. The context of the memo is obviously openly carried firearms. To my knowledge, WB has never and does not currently oppose CHL CC. The statement I quoted makes the intent very clear.
No, the sentence you quoted is what they advice the employee to say(talking points), not their policy. You take your sentence I'll take mine.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jmra

Post by jmra »

suthdj wrote:
jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:
thetexan wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:

tex

tex
No, the sentence you quoted is what they advice the employee to say(talking points), not their policy. You take your sentence I'll take mine.
Actually that is not what they are told to tell their customers. The only time they are instructed to address the issue is if they see a firearm (open carry) at which time they are told to ask the customer to put the firearm in their car before they are served.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

BobCat wrote:suthdj, no I hadn't read the fine print at the bottom until you pointed it out.

Three things to consider about the policy:

1. It says open carry of long guns, and in some cases, handguns.
2. It says the policy is for customers "demonstrating" their right to bear arms.
3. It says "Whataburger does not want weapons inside our restaurants."

Given #1, it does not appear to be a response to the passage of licensed open carry in Texas. Given #2 it seems to be addressing "demonstrations" not mere open carry of a handgun. Then they get confused, either with the English language or about what they're actually seeking when they say they don't want weapons inside their restaurants. That's all weapons....even though by omission it seems to later exclude CC. This I'm guessing is due to poor verbal skills on the part of those writing and approving the policy since they haven't posted 30.06 signs. After some consideration my take is that this policy was written in response to OCTidiots and pre-dates the passage of licensed open carry in Texas.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texsquatch »

VMI77 wrote:

Three things to consider about the policy:

1. It says open carry of long guns, and in some cases, handguns.
2. It says the policy is for customers "demonstrating" their right to bear arms.
3. It says "Whataburger does not want weapons inside our restaurants."

Given #1, it does not appear to be a response to the passage of licensed open carry in Texas. Given #2 it seems to be addressing "demonstrations" not mere open carry of a handgun. Then they get confused, either with the English language or about what they're actually seeking when they say they don't want weapons inside their restaurants. That's all weapons....even though by omission it seems to later exclude CC. This I'm guessing is due to poor verbal skills on the part of those writing and approving the policy since they haven't posted 30.06 signs. After some consideration my take is that this policy was written in response to OCTidiots and pre-dates the passage of licensed open carry in Texas.
It's funny how we have so much discussion about a potentially fake memo. It doesn't look official to me, but maybe that's how Whataburger drafts their memos. Plus, the link doesn't seem to go to a "real" news source. All I get is pop ups and cannot even read the article. As I said earlier, Whataburger's name was buzzing around a few years ago, so this may not even be relevant today.

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RetNavy »

it says they dont want "weapons" inside..... that would include case knives, hammers, tasers, pepper spray and such... basically anything can be used as a "weapon".... guess i will have to leave my cane in the car next time :grumble
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

jmra

Post by jmra »

RetNavy wrote:it says they dont want "weapons" inside..... that would include case knives, hammers, tasers, pepper spray and such... basically anything can be used as a "weapon".... guess i will have to leave my cane in the car next time :grumble
Assuming the memo is real, you need to look at the whole thing in context. It is in response to the open carry of firearms - nothing more, nothing less.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

F350-6
Posts in topic: 3

Post by F350-6 »

jmra wrote:I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
I guess we should all just be good sheep and go along without ruffling any feathers? If they posted all their locations 30.06 would you disarm and still walk in? At what point do you at least let them know in some form or fashion that they will no longer be getting your money? Or do you continue to just support them financially?
Oldgringo wrote: Agreed! What was it Dale Carneghie taught, "You attract more bees with honey than with vinegar"?
OK, I'll bite. Tell me about the honey. Should I stand outside the (unposted) door and wave a $100 bill in the window until they invite me in?
o b juan wrote:F350-6
you have just shown up and have 15 posts ..

You might want to discuss this with a friend who is not involved with OCT

conflict and dispute resolution does not call for escalation :roll: :roll:
Thank you for your concern and being so polite about it, but I have thick skin. You can call me a troll or idiot if you prefer. For the record, I have never participated or knowingly spoken with anyone involved in OCT or any related organization. As I mentioned initially, I don't plan on open carrying anywhere, unless I feel it will help relay a message. I'm also not 100% sold that this is the official Whataburger position and not just some franchise deal. I also live between a town of 1,200 and a town of 600, the closest Whataburger to my house is in a different town 15 miles away and part of a gas station, so my mental picture of walking into Whataburger might be different than yours.

Edit: 16 now. :lol:
Taypo wrote: So you're going to OC into a location that you KNOW doesn't allow it with the expectation of forcing an employee to 86 you...and you think this is somehow going to convince them that they're making a bad decision? That's pretty irresponsible and reeks of YouTube theatrics. Way to throw the other 99% of us that care abou our image under the OCT bus.

As far as a sign being "required", you're wrong there too but that's another argument.
So aside from reading posts here, how exactly was I to know that open carrying was a supposed no-no? If they release a statement like Target did that said they prefer you not to carry, even concealed, does that mean you disarm before you walk into Target? When you see a gunbuster sign do you not enter or disarm because you know that deep down inside they don't want you to carry in their store? Please explain to me the difference in a press release that not many people will see and a gunbuster sign in terms of legal notice? (I don't count something I read on the internet in some forum as gospel to this thread is excluded as notice)

The law seems fairly straightforward to me. Notice is defined and clearly stated with specific wording and the posting requirements are well known. When concealed carry was first passed, there were many places that initially put up 30.06 signs. Were we just supposed to quietly go away and never enter those places again? When the shootouts didn't happen every night and phone calls were made voicing complaints, the signs started coming down. Anyone else remember those days?

gljjt
Posts in topic: 11

Post by gljjt »

The only reason this is coming up is because some gun owners are making a problem where none existed. CC and then let them do what they really want to do which is sell hamburgers. We don't know they are anti gun. I actually suspect they are not. But if idiots making a statement cause them a distraction and they perceive that it is an issue affecting their sales, well, we would have brought their solution upon ourselves.

jmra

Post by jmra »

gljjt wrote:The only reason this is coming up is because some gun owners are making a problem where none existed. CC and then let them do what they really want to do which is sell hamburgers. We don't know they are anti gun. I actually suspect they are not. But if idiots making a statement cause them a distraction and they perceive that it is an issue affecting their sales, well, we would have brought their solution upon ourselves.
:iagree:
Sums it up pretty well.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

:iagree:

Yep. Troll Feeding Time is over for me. I suspect OCT got bored and found this thread.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

:deadhorse: Enough of this foolishness, :leaving .

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”