Carry at holiday parties

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 30

Re: Carry at holiday parties

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

tbrown wrote:If I was invited to the party, I think that counts as "effective consent" in most cases. However, if there was any doubt in my mind, I would skip the party and go somewhere I'm welcome.
Even with all the back and forth, I think I am going to cast my vote for this post as the best all around answer so far. Short, sweet...and straight to the point. :tiphat:

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by drjoker »

Jihans wrote:With a lot of holiday parties upcoming, I wanted to throw a topic up for discussion.

First, when invited to a friend/neighbor/relative's house for a holiday gathering.... do you carry? Do you ask the host their feeling on it first? I'm not talking alcohol consumption or anything like that. Just the general principal. Part two of the question... you are invited to a friend/neighbor/relative's house for a holiday gathering. You know from previous discussions with them that they are against guns. Even though they have not said anything to you about carrying do you?
Carry your smallest pistol so you won't be outed. Concealed is concealed.

HKMike

Post by HKMike »

Jihans wrote:A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.
Yep. Lots of gray, but we should respect the those that may not feel comfortable with guns in there own home. We may wish everyone were carry friendly, but that just isn't how the world works.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

HKMike wrote:
Jihans wrote:A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.
Yep. Lots of gray, but we should respect the those that may not feel comfortable with guns in there own home. We may wish everyone were carry friendly, but that just isn't how the world works.
:iagree: I'm very gun friendly but I know some people who have their CHL that I would not want carrying in my home. It's bad enough thinking about them carrying anywhere.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ffemt300

Post by ffemt300 »

Yes I carry. No I dont ask for permission. I also dont care if theyre against guns or not. I carry anyway. The only one that needs to know if I'm carrying is me. Concealed is concealed.

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

Short and sweet answer: Just as a public business, etc.... I carry or I don't go in.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Heheh, at the Christmas Party, my buddy gave me a good ol' Hug & Backslap, but his arm dragged across my pistol.
I got "The Look", but nothing was said. :thumbs2:

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

jmra wrote: I'm very gun friendly but I know some people who have their CHL that I would not want carrying in my home.
Sure. My solution is don't invite those kind of people into my home. I don't have the time or the inclination to make my home child-proof or idiot-proof so I don't invite either to my parties.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

I did not carry in/to the Christmas party we attended Saturday night. I did carry to/during the Christmas Cantata at the FUMC on Sunday. Does that count? There wasn't any drinkin' during the Cantata service.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I carried to the Christmas open house at my neighbor's house on Saturday. No big deal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

The question of the day is, has anybody open carried their AR or AK to a Christmas party? "rlol"

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

texanjoker wrote:The question of the day is, has anybody open carried their AR or AK to a Christmas party? "rlol"
It sounds like you haven't been invited to the right parties.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

Ameer wrote:
texanjoker wrote:The question of the day is, has anybody open carried their AR or AK to a Christmas party? "rlol"
It sounds like you haven't been invited to the right parties.
At least not to right wing parties. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Jihans
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jihans »

I just don't buy all the "absolute" posts... No gray or other options. Concealed is concealed. If I can't Carry I don't go. Unless they post a sign or specifically tell me I carry whether they like it or not.

Let me throw out this hypothetical. Your mom hates guns. Always has. As a kid you weren't even allowed to have a cap gun. Now, mom's having Christmas dinner. Do you carry? No, she's not going to tell you not to.....she feels she shouldn't have to, you know how she feels and she's mom. No 30.06 sign posted. Sure, concealed is concealed...she would never know.... But you would know you disrespected your mom.

So, for all the black and white absolutes out there. If you can't carry you don't go............ to moms on Christmas? Is mom's house really like a business...... If she doesn't post her house you carry even if you know it would break her heart if she found out? If mom doesn't know because concealed is concealed.... it is OK? We can choose our friends but not our relatives...or boss. So substitute Aunt Big Butt or your boss Mr. Hardnose for mom in the situation above. We all get invited to holiday parties that we have to go to for one reason or another. Is it still so black and white? Does my right to carry trump my respect for mom?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 30

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Jihans wrote:Concealed is concealed. If I can't Carry I don't go. Unless they post a sign or specifically tell me I carry whether they like it or not
That right there is it in a nut shell. All the rest is gobble de gook that matters not. My mom or boss nor anyone else knows what color underwear I have on either. I don't care what color they prefer. Your mom knows about everything you do? I bet not. Unless she does, the rest is simply bloviating.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”