Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Venus Pax »

Prop, I see your point and I'm glad you added it to this discussion. I appreciate your differentiating between a smoke detector and a handgun. They are different! :fire
As far as being paranoid, however, I take a different view. I don't know the stats for men, but I do know that one in four women will be a victim of violence at some point in her life. 1 in 4 women means that I know a lot of these women, and we are not in a bad part of town, nor do we run with questionable characters.
1 in ten to twenty men is a sex offender. That means that I probably know one or more sex offenders personally, I just don't know it. (Did that make sense?) I believe that the odds of being made a victim are higher for me than the odds of my house catching fire or for needing major medical care due to an auto accident. I see my CHL as preparedness, not paranoia.
As far as learning self-defense, I've been told by many (but particularly a martial arts instructor), that I probably wouldn't not be able to overcome an attacker, simply because I am not a very large person. He recommended that I learn a few key moves to free myself and keep up with my target practicing incase my attacker won't back off. :greenfrown:

As for the reasons I took so long to get my CHL, much of it was laziness. I must say, however, that for many years, I could not have afforded it. The cost wasn't a burden to me this year, but during my college years, it would have been impossible. I spent a total of $210 between my class, fingerprints, pictures, and fees to the state. I understand the necessity of paying for the first three, but I think the state's fees are excessive. Other states aren't asking that much.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 9

Post by longtooth »

Venus, you get an A+ on that essay. Women are far more apt to be the victim. Same for the aged. Given the choice of who to rob, criminals look for the easy one just like bullies. Small is generally easier unless you have a :shock: surprise for them.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Longtooth, I've done my homework. One of my greatest fears is being a victim, so I'm doing everything I can not to be one.
I know you aren't supposed to let people know you carry, but I do talk about gun issues with other people. Since I'm a mild-mannered person and don't get angry too easily, I want people to see me and recognize that the gun is only as dangerous as the hands that control it.

ETA: And thank you for the compliment. :grouphug

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yes maam, good job. There is a difference in "MAKIN SURE EVERBODY KNOWS I GOT A GUN & AIN'T FRAID TA USE IT" or talking about gun issues & letting good people know that good people are armed too. There are those who want to keep concealed "so concealed" that they will go to a far away place to get their CHL. One person stated on forum that their defination of concealed on a gun forum was screen name only, ever. With his real name in public even w/ CHL's there would be not conecting the two. Somewhere in between is far better. I am glad to hear ladies that talk of gun issues. You do not have to say to people, "I have a CHL & carry 24-7 for them to figure it out. When a man talks to me & others all the time about his deer stand, where it is, his bow, practicing from the top of his roof, sharpening his broadheads, & the new site pins on it, I don't have to ask him if he has a hunting liscense. There are things that go together. You sound to me like you are doing a good job of proper PR for the 2nd Amendment.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Thank you, and same to you.

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I posted in other simply because I do not carry a gun. Its illegal to do that here in IL. I am thinking of applying to the U of Texas and transfering out of Southern Illinois University.

The reason I would get a CHL is simply that it is comforting to know that you have the means to defend yourself if you need to. Its also nice tobe able to transport your gun with little hassle.

Here in Carbondale, IL it was a felony to transport a firearm in your car. You could own it just not transport it. It literally was illegal to bring it home after you bought it.

Getting back to my reasons, I have dealt with numerous drunk kids and homeless people hanging around my house at night. I didnt invite them and neither did my roommates. Were locked into a lease here and we cant get out until August. I have had them walk into our house and had one come into the house while my roommates were sleeping. I was on the porch outside and I noticed him run into my house. I ran in and grabbed my gun but I had to go upstairs first and hope he wasnt upstairs. It would have been nice to have the gun on me in the first place.

I also like the idea of it being a political statement. If 20% of the population possesses a CHL then they know that 20% of the population is PRO-Gun. The legislators will start voting pro-gun if they want to stay in office. This is always nice. Wouldnt you like to be able to own a machine gun with a silencer, a short barreled shotgun / rifle, and other cool toys without going through another background tax and being extoreted for $200?

I do agree that the total cost is a large issue. I think that it should be cheaper and the class should be state sponsored as opposed to private. If the individual wnats the private class then that individual may pay for it. However the truth be told I dont think the training should even be necessary. It seems to work for Washington, Indiana, and Pennsylvania just fine.

And if we look at the total cost of the entire ordeal we clearly see that it is a big deal. It hurts poorer people more than most. (I am a Sociology major so I look into this crap).

Lets break it down...

$140 for initial cost of license
$100 for class
$500 for gun (Thats the going price on a Glock in these parts)
$150 for holster, belt, and 2 mag holders
$75 for ammo in class
----------------------------------------------
$965 total for the entire thing.

Thats a lot of money. I am sure it can be more or less depending on some of the factors. But the point is that this can be a costly sum for college students, the working poor, the elderly, and some people.

Do these people have any less of a right to defend themselves? Is it right for the state to charge you a fee for a license to exercise your rights? Not to mention they deem some people ok to exercise their rights due to government approved training while others are not. Who gets this training is a matter of cost as well.

Would it be ok if the local government said you need to get training to go to church, then you need to apply for a license for you to go to church, then you need to go through a background check, and pay for said fees and license? Its really the same thing.

I went off on a rant and I apologize. But anyways I am really thinking about moving to Texas simply because IL pisses me off. I am tired of this whole place and Texas seems like a better place to live.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Do your doors have locks?
If they don't have locks, you need to make your landlord add them, and you need to lock your doors. If these people still get in your house, they are breaking and entering.

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

My doors have locks. Its just that my roommates lack common sense. I am partially to blame as I did leave the door unlocked but I also did not leave site of my door. But 99% of the time my roommates dont lock the doors. I have to go through the house everynight to check the doors because I dont feel right without it.

Its kind of an obsessive compulsive thing. However I have left that house and am back home with my family. Now I am just applying to colleges outside of IL because I am going nuts in this anti-gun utopia.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Glad to see you back w/ your folks. That place you were living was at best, trouble ready to happen & at worst a death trap waiting to spring. Wise young men eventually grow up to be wise old men. The young fools you were living with seldom make the transition before major tragedy.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Tecumseh,
I see your point about the expense. That is one of the reasons I waited so long to get mine.
I know one of our TX legislators, Dr. Hupp, is working on getting the fees lowered. It's only right, as the high fees, added with the cost of the class, gets pretty steep if you're a low-income person.
It helps to do it all a little at a time.
One month, take the course. I paid $70, which included my picture and fingerpriting, as well as the notarizing of documents.
The next month (or paycheck), send off the packet. This is $140. After that, you have about a two month waiting game. Your most expensive purchase (if you don't already have it) is your gun and its accessories.
I didn't pay a lot for my gun. Dad subscribes to all kinds of gun magazines, and one is solely subscriber-supported. They buy guns and ammo off the shelves and test them. Often, the more expensive brands and models are better, but often they aren't.
I purchased a Bersa Thunder .380 for about $211 (after tax) at a gun show. Although I bought a pager pal for $60, I ordered an inexpensive ($31 after tax & shipping) holster from cheaperthandirt.com and I love it.
I also spent $20 or so on an extra magazine.
You can cut costs and budget to get it done. It just takes time and thinking out.

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I already own my guns but the fact is that it is expensive to take these measures. I would like to see the state sponsor some classes. Or do as Florida does and accept a hunting class (free in IL) as acceptable proof of safe gun handling.

katipo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by katipo »

Paladin wrote:So far I talked to two people I know who are very interested in getting a CHL, but haven't yet jumped through all the hoops to get one.

They both said finding the time to take the class was their biggest problem. Both said breaking up the class into smaller blocks (1-2 hours) and spreading the course out over several weeks would be better for them. One suggested on-line classes (although obviously the shooting qual couldn't be done online)
The way this flakey computer been working, that online shooting qualification could very well be possible. :lol:

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Tecumseh wrote:I already own my guns but the fact is that it is expensive to take these measures. I would like to see the state sponsor some classes. Or do as Florida does and accept a hunting class (free in IL) as acceptable proof of safe gun handling.
Thats an excellent idea. The only real problem is that with a CHL you are expecting to have to shoot a person in self defense. That being the case, you MUST know the laws about such an event. And that doesn't get taught in a Hunter's Ed class.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

cloudcroft

Post by cloudcroft »

I voted "other" reason.

Texas has more disqualifiers for a CHL than other states I am aware of. And at least one is damn stupid and has nothing to do with guns. Said item no longer applies to me but there is no way to change that. So LEGAL carry is out for me. And open carry, besides being illegal, isn't prudent. ;-)

So I'll wait until I move to NM...and open-carry...and MAYBE get a CHL there where the Texas-unique disqualifiers do not apply.

-- John D.

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

Most people I talk to have either indicated cost or not seeing the need to carry a gun. I have persuaded some that there is a need to carry a gun and have fronted some of my friends part of the cost to get theirs but I can't win all battles and I only front money for my good friends who have helped me in the past when I needed it.
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”