What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Crossfire »

JRG wrote: Is there a section that tells about scoring? Are you shooting at sillouettes or bullseyes?

Sorry for so many questions. I take the class next Saturday and am getting some butterflies!

JRG
JRG - the shooting part of the class is something everyone worries about and something no one should! If you can load a magazine, fire five rounds on command and reload, then you will be just fine.

Heck, I have even passed folks who could not load a magazine, but that's another story.

The target is a BIG silhouette, and your scoring area is huge. Let us know how you did on it, cause I will bet pass with flying colors!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

dws1117 wrote: I personally thought the class size was too large. There were approxemately 40-45 people. That may be a normal class size, but I don't know.
In my opinion, that's just too many. I like to think my CHL classes are more of a personal experience, where everyone feels comfortable with asking questions, and I know everyone's name before the day is over.

My absolute top stop is 20 students. Any more than that, and I don't think you got your money's worth of the instructor's time and attention.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kw5kw »

JRG wrote:
lrb111 wrote:
JRG wrote:Can someone explain to me the process for the shooting portion of the CHL class? I know you shoot 50 bullets. How many at what distances?

JRG
Here it is from the State of Texas. http://tinyurl.com/qwnag

Every loading of the gun is 5 rounds with two exceptions. At three yards it says:
(B) ten rounds will be fired "Two Shot Exercise"; three seconds allowed for each two shots;

That is broken into two loadings one of four, and one of 6.
hope this helps..
Yes, that helps a lot. I also went to the site you posted and got the actual instructions. That helped a bunch!!

Is there a section that tells about scoring? Are you shooting at sillouettes or bullseyes?

Sorry for so many questions. I take the class next Saturday and am getting some butterflies!

JRG
It's a sillouette, and there is no reason to worry. My daughter was terrified of the range portion of the class and she's been to gunsite for their 250 class... she shot a 233 and was third best in the class. The best shooter had never been to a gun class and shot a 249 that day. He had never shot that gun before and even had one jam on him, that's the one that took away his perfect score... that shooter was me.

at one of my classes there was this elderly lady who required a walker, she qualified. :fire
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

TC-TX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TC-TX »

Thank you badgerw - this is great information.

Please let us know if you are able to compile the information for use.
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

kw5kw wrote:at one of my classes there was this elderly lady who required a walker, she qualified. :fire
Reminds me of my class. There was an older guy with a walker. He was hands down one of the best shooters.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

lrb111
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lrb111 »

JRG wrote:
lrb111 wrote:
JRG wrote:Can someone explain to me the process for the shooting portion of the CHL class? I know you shoot 50 bullets. How many at what distances?

JRG

Every loading of the gun is 5 rounds with two exceptions. At three yards it says:
(B) ten rounds will be fired "Two Shot Exercise"; three seconds allowed for each two shots;

hope this helps..
Yes, that helps a lot. I also went to the site you posted and got the actual instructions. That helped a bunch!!

Is there a section that tells about scoring? Are you shooting at sillouettes or bullseyes?

JRG
The target is a standard B-27(any color) http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/silhouette/

The scoring is different in that anything inside the "8" ring counts 5 points. That means the Bull is 12" wide by 17.5" tall,
The B-27C on that target page is all Bullseye, at 12 X 17.5
The 7 ring counts 4.
Anything outside of that, but still in the shilhouette counts 3.
170 of 250 points passes.
hth..

Butterflies are good, they will keep you sharp. :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Braden
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Braden »

In my opinion, both the written exam and the shooting portion of the class are incredibly easy. I took my renewal class last Saturday and scored a 100% on the written portion and shot 250/250 on the shooting portion (that was shooting a new Glock 17 that I had only been to the range with two times prior to the class).

About that class, I promised a full report on it.

Things I liked about my renewal:

1) Comfortable classroom setting with tables and chairs.
2) Ballpoint and felt tip pens were provided.
3) Forms were provided to those who forgot or did not have theirs.
4) Drinks and snacks were provided throughout the day.
5) The class was well organized. You could tell the instructors had been doing this for some time.
6) The class was all-inclusive.
7) The instructors were up to date on current laws.
8) Experienced shooters got to shoot in the first group and were not required to stick around and watch the second group shoot.
9) Guns, hearing & eye protection, ammo and drinking water were provided for anyone who did not have them when we went to the range.

Things I didn't like:

1) While the class was definitely interesting, I think the primary instructor spent too much time talking about his accomplishments, skills, past history and life events and not enough time talking about applicable laws, methods of concealment, changes in laws and other issues that I think were more pertinent than his stories (although they did keep the class interesting).
2) The class went about 30 minutes longer than it was supposed to so it didn't finish until 8:30 PM.

That being said, if anyone is looking for a CHL class or renewal class in the Austin area then I highly recommend the one I went to. Since Charles asked us not to mention names, just send me a PM and I'll make the recommendation.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

JRG
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JRG »

lrb111 wrote:
JRG wrote:
lrb111 wrote:

JRG

hope this helps..

JRG
The target is a standard B-27(any color) http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/silhouette/

The scoring is different in that anything inside the "8" ring counts 5 points. That means the Bull is 12" wide by 17.5" tall,
The B-27C on that target page is all Bullseye, at 12 X 17.5
The 7 ring counts 4.
Anything outside of that, but still in the shilhouette counts 3.
170 of 250 points passes.
hth..

Butterflies are good, they will keep you sharp. :lol:
Thanks LRB111,

That scoring info was just what I was looking for. I realize now that neither I nor my wife have much to fear about taking the shooting portion except we need to go to the range a couple of more times to work on her timing. She needs to improve her aiming times a little.

JRG

D.D.M.

Post by D.D.M. »

I took my CHL @ 2.5 yrs ago.My experience was good.I have no complaints what soever.We were provided with breakfast at the range,(we shot first) and there were several "coaches" there to help folks and the instructor was very good.We were provided lunch at class and were ran through finger printing a few at time during class.It all went real smooth for a class of @ 45 people.Cold drinks were on hand all day at no charge.I will say the fee for the course was a few dollars more than avg.I think it was $110,but it was worth it to me.I will definately take my requal from the same.

EricS76

Post by EricS76 »

I took my class about a year ago with a instructor already mentioned in San Antonio. The only complaint I have about it was a couple of guys with the never ending "what ifs". After answering a bunch of what if's, the instructor told them he'd answer any other questions they had during one of the breaks, which I thought was a good move. Other than that, the class was made as interesting as it could be. The photos and prints and notorization were done there, and they were done right. Both my girlfriend and I had no problems with our packets or recieving our CHL. The range was semi-far away, and everybody had to drive there, but I don't consider that a problem. There's not much that can be done about that. The class was not the cheapest, but it was done well and everything was done right. I hope i'll be renewing there when the time comes.

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

By far my biggest complaint was the gunhandling exhibited by the instructor. Downright frightening! I saw so many infractions of Rule #2 that I lost count. Witnessed one failure to decock before inserting the loaded gun into a fanny pack. Gave me the heebie jeebies! :shock:

JRG

Post by JRG »

Good news!! I passed the shooting test and the written test today!! Now I just need to get the papers in the mail Monday off to Austin. I shot a 247! Best I've ever done.

It seemed that the CHL class has an enormous amount of "slack" time in it. We spent an hour and a half filling out the paperwork. We then had about 30 minutes of do nothing time while the renewal people were shooting. Lots of dragging time waiting for the instructor to think of what we should cover next.

I guess most of the classes are like this?

Joe

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

JRG wrote:Good news!! I passed the shooting test and the written test today!! Now I just need to get the papers in the mail Monday off to Austin. I shot a 247! Best I've ever done.

It seemed that the CHL class has an enormous amount of "slack" time in it. We spent an hour and a half filling out the paperwork. We then had about 30 minutes of do nothing time while the renewal people were shooting. Lots of dragging time waiting for the instructor to think of what we should cover next.

Joe
No. In fact, your down time cannot be counted towards your 10 hour minimum. If DPS ever sits in on his class and he is not providing a full 10 hours he risks losing his instructor license.

We hold seperate initial and renewal classes. We don't stop teaching while prints and pictures are being made.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote:Good news!! I passed the shooting test and the written test today!! Now I just need to get the papers in the mail Monday off to Austin. I shot a 247! Best I've ever done.

Joe
Thats how our class was. They counted the paper work time. :idea:

JRG

Post by JRG »

txinvestigator wrote:

Joe
No. In fact, your down time cannot be counted towards your 10 hour minimum. If DPS ever sits in on his class and he is not providing a full 10 hours he risks losing his instructor license.

We hold seperate initial and renewal classes. We don't stop teaching while prints and pictures are being made.
I wondered why the renewal people were in our class. It would have been better had they had their own class.

Joe

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”