CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jsimmons
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Police compromising your concealment

Post by jsimmons »

KD5NRH wrote:
YabuUS wrote:So I've decided to attend - not carrying my weapon - and see what happens.
I'd have been real tempted to stock up and be carrying at least 6-10 handguns, just to see the look on their faces if they wanted me to disarm. :evil2:
Two shoulder holsters
Two IWB
Two OWB
Two ankle
Two cross-draw
One COB
One belleyband
Four pocket (6-7 if you're wearing a coat)

I count 16 to 19 pistols. I would *love* to see the look on a LEO's face if he asked you to disarm during a traffic stop... :)
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

Dexdahex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dexdahex »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Purplehood wrote:I think the whole situation is totally outrageous.

- No prior notice was given.
- CHL holders would be "out'ed" in front of friends and neighbors
- Was this procedure previously approved at the board or HOA meeting?

In any event, the outting of CHL holders is reprehensible.

Call me annoyed. [not to be confused with any other posters "annoyed" handle on this forum]
YAAAAAARRRRRR. :smilelol5:

I agree. As far as I am concerned: 1) the officer in question did not ask the OP for his ID, so he wasn't even in a gray area if he chose to keep quiet and carry; 2) ever since 09/01/09, there is no penalty for failing to divulge your CHL to an officer who asks to see your ID; 3) there was no 30.06 posting; 4) the OP was not under arrest, and therefore his gun and license were not being seized; and 5) the meeting is not covered under PC 46.03.

The only possible claim the officer can make is under GC 411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFER TO DISARM. But, for that to happen, he has to know that you are armed; and for that to happen, he has to ask you (not a crowd) if you are carrying.

I would have either ignored him or left. And I sure as hades would have fired off a letter to the officer in question, with a CC to his superiors, calling his wisdom into question by asking CHL holders to out themselves, when the DPS and the state law specifically encourage us not to. Further, I would ask for a written letter of apology, just to make the point to this officer that, just like the criminals he arrests will face consequences for their bad behavior, he must face consequences for his own, because he is held to a higher standard.
:iagree:
"Every Citizen Shall Have The Right To Keep And Bear Arms In The Lawful Defense Of Himself Or The State"

CHL Holder
NRA Member

Fabrique Nationale Herstal (FNH) FN-40

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

jsimmons wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
YabuUS wrote:So I've decided to attend - not carrying my weapon - and see what happens.
I'd have been real tempted to stock up and be carrying at least 6-10 handguns, just to see the look on their faces if they wanted me to disarm. :evil2:
Two shoulder holsters
Two IWB
Two OWB
Two ankle
Two cross-draw
One COB
One belleyband
Four pocket (6-7 if you're wearing a coat)

I count 16 to 19 pistols. I would *love* to see the look on a LEO's face if he asked you to disarm during a traffic stop... :)
That reminds me of a comedy skit on Sat. Night Live a few years ago where to cops, one male and one female, were stripping down for a night of love. The camera pans down to the floor and all you see and hear is guns, knives, handcuffs, ammo pouches, knuckles, one sword, a couple more pistols and one whip hitting the floor. Looked like 30 or 40lbs of weaponry on the floor before they got thru. Cracked me up. "rlol"

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Wasn't that in one of the Police Academy movies???

Whatever happened to Steve Gutenburg...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

DoubleJ wrote:Wasn't that in one of the Police Academy movies???

He's still around and making movies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000430/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that scene was with Tackleberry and Kirland, but could be mistaken.

Edit to add: Here is the video. May not be 10 yo compliant, but probably 12 year compliant. :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

Whoa, you guys have better memories than I do. Yeah, that was from Police Academy. I didn't remember the scene correctly. :smilelol5:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

And Clint Eastwood & Rene Russo in "In the Line of Fire".
Great movie!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

YabuUS wrote: She said as far as the apartments was concerned my having a CHL and carrying a weapon was strictly a private matter and nobody's business but mine. p:
Thats a pretty smart lady.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

nils

Post by nils »

:iagree:
Sent Packet 7/27
DPS Received 8/11
Plastic in Hand 11/07/2008!!!!

Nils F.
Colt Defender
Springfield Armory Operator-Full Rail
Galco IWB Holster

sredish

Post by sredish »

I'm fairly positive I'd have to sit and be quiet at a request like that in a manner like that. I'd feel weird about it but I would feel I'm w/in my rights as no prior notice was given. It's more of a request of the officers than a notice to licensed gun holders. I would, out of respect though, try and contact one of the superiors afterwards and question / comment on the situation.

Rodrockinoff

Post by Rodrockinoff »

Keith B wrote:

He's still around and making movies http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000430/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that scene was with Tackleberry and Kirland, but could be mistaken.

Edit to add: Here is the video. May not be 10 yo compliant, but probably 12 year compliant. :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
****************************************************************************************

Thanks a million, Keith -- loved seeing that again. What a hoot!!! You have committed a "good!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”