Question about CHL Badge

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cling
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about CHL Badge

Post by cling »

It's no worse than a security guard badge, bail enforcement badge, or Chairman Mao badge.
Better. Not Bitter.

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

Lots of funny comments. :-)

The real simple truth is:

1. You already have the only "badge" you need to carry your concealed firearm, and that's your Texas Concealed Handgun License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety. You had to sit in a classroom, pass a written test, demonstrate shooting proficiency on the firing range, and then submit a written application and pass a background and fingerprint check. There's been plenty of things written about what to do after you use your firearm to defend yourself or your family, but it boils down to: Be prepared to be treated like a bad guy until the law enforcement officers get the situation sorted out. DON'T have your gun in your hand, and comply with the LEO orders when they arrive, and be respectful and ask to speak to an attorney before making a statement.

2. A "CHL Badge" like they sell at gun shows or certain retail outlets (I saw them at Cheaper Than Dirt in McKinney) is available to anybody who has the money to buy one. There is no requirement for you to show your REAL concealed handgun license in order to purchase one of those badges, and there's nothing to prevent or stop a convicted felon or all-around bad guy from purchasing one. Therefore, they are absolutely worthless, and as others have said, are more likely to cause more trouble than they prevent. In my opinion, and this may seem harsh, but the only people that seem to want to buy them are wanna-be mall-ninja idiots who secretly envy the "power" and "glamor" of being a LEO but they're not willing or able to undergo the training and sacrifice required to truly enter law enforcement. If you want a real badge, then get off the couch and get into shape and look into signing up for classes. You can find a lot of good information at http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/le_careers.cfm or I'm sure one of your friendly local officers would be willing to share any tips on how to get on the force. Some police forces even have auxiliary forces, where you work as a law enforcement part time on a volunteer basis, but even those jobs still require you to be trained and certified.

Like others have said, the whole idea of a CHL badge is frightening because it misses the point of the CHL. You're not a deputized junior police officer...you're just enabled to carry a weapon for defending yourself and those you love.

Just my $2e-02.
MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

OldSchool wrote:Darn! I didn't get a badge with my Paladin holster and (amazingly realistic) revolver -- oh, wait, he didn't carry a badge, he was only a hired gun....
Those were nice rigs! Even now, I'd love to have one. But at $750 for the leather and twice that to fill it, it's still just a dream.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

For the record an Leo badge can be purchased online with no credentials.

Just a thought.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

chrisansilver

Post by chrisansilver »

Although I am new to the game, just recently got my plastic I did extensive research prior to applying, the good the bad and the risk we could be subjected.
Living close to Houston, reading the headlines of the daily news played an major role in my decision to apply, not just me, my wife also applied for CHL as well. There will be no badges for us, we feel carrying concealed is an upper hand, element of surprise, if you advertise your preparedness the BG will also be prepared.
The good lord willing we will never be subjected to having to use deadly force to protect our safety, loved ones, home or property. But in the event it becomes neccessary we are prepared, live life and be prepared.
I would not open carry if the law allowed, I do not feel that we should be required to have a CHL to possess a firearm on our person :rules:
We surely do not have to advertise our status of being a CHL holder, we have been through the routine. Should I ever be in a situation that LEO has me in their radar due to unforseen circumstances I hope and pray that my constitutional rights are protected and all works out well with out a badge. :patriot:
My CHL Application.
08-28-10 -- CHL class
09-01-10 -- Application mailed to DPS
09-03-10 -- Received at DPS
09-15-10 -- Information available Processing app
09-23-10--Fingerprints complete
09-24-10-- Background complete
09-24-10-- Manufacturing Pending
10-01-10-- Mailed
10-08-10-- Plastic in hand

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PappaGun »

Having a CHL badge seems a lot like those goofy certificates you see on a car dealers wall for "Platinum Club" or some such malarky.

Create a channel to award pretty do-dads to people in your own club and pretty soon it looks official.

Only it ain't.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Jbird5363

Post by Jbird5363 »

Wow I just looked up the badge that thing is ugly you would have to force me to wear that thing so much buy it. Just a gimmick for wannabes.
App sent oct 1
chl in hand nov 3

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

"rlol"

Type "CHL B"
in the google search box and see what comes up.
You must have auto complete turned on.
(Here's a hint)
Click on the first choice CHL Badge.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

- Charles Schumer

jamisjockey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jamisjockey »

http://snub-nosed.com/chl_badges__wallets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :banghead:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Cling,

Are you the proud of a CHL badge and if so, how and where do you wear it?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Whoops - In the previous post, I left out the word "OWNER" - My proofreading is less than adequate...sigh

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

You know you can edit your own posts, right?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

captainsafety

Post by captainsafety »

We don't need no stinking badges!

Quoted for the Mel Brooks Movie "Blazing Saddles". :anamatedbanana
Native Texan
Glock 19/27 - Home Protection

Ruger LCP - Concealed Carry

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

captainsafety wrote:We don't need no stinking badges!

Quoted for the Mel Brooks Movie "Blazing Saddles". :anamatedbanana
[off-topic]

Actually, the original quote came from B. Traven's 1927 novel "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
"Badges, to (expletive) with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you (expletives and bad words in spanish(?))!
Then Humphrey Bogart shortened it in the movie of the same name.

Then it was shortened further in "Blazing Saddles"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{/off-topic]
Last edited by sjfcontrol on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

The top of the first page is a listing of Texas CHL Forum responses.

:shock:
- Noah Webster

- Charles Schumer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”