Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

maxpower
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

Post by maxpower »

in my chl class the instructor rarely counted total points - the test is pass/fail. only in the case of a possible fail did he do a count. on my target, with most of the center missing, he just chuckled and wrote Pass on the target (I used my 45 to qualify)

Jim Lockey

Post by Jim Lockey »

How many of you guys had to seen in more finger prints. Looks like the electronic prints will hve less chance to fail.

Jimmy

baylor

Post by baylor »

Having taken written/oral/practical tests for my flying certificates and ratings I was a little concerned that it was going to be rather difficult to learn and apply regulations on a test. The class was a little all over the place (in terms of material), but I think the following two statements hold true:

1) To fail the pratical (shooting test) you will really have to try very, very hard. The most difficult part might be loading your gun three times.
2) The questions and answers for the written test are thoroughly discussed in class. I think most people missed 5 or less questions in our class and we had young, old, women, men, all races, and all backgrounds. I think we even had one gentlemen who couldn't read very well and the instructor worked with him on the test (and he passed)!!

It is interesting to think about the CHL class in terms of what the government is communicating to its citizenry. In essence, they have designed a program whereby citizens can learn the applicable carry laws and if they can show proof of that learning (at a basic level) and can shoot (at a basic level within fairly wide parameters) then they can enjoy their right to conceal carry. They are really casting a wide net in terms of who can get a CHL.

The hardest part is waiting for the license! Unlike flying where if you pass the checkride they give you a temporary certificate right then and there.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Hope this helps.
Paperwork arrived DPS 03/21
<crickets></crickets>

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longhorn_92 »

mikeintexas wrote:I just sat through a class with my wife last Saturday.

1. You can do what you want with the target. After your instructor scores and records it, it's yours to do what you want with.

2. If you punch that many holes in one spot, you've passed.

3. There are 50 questions on the test, a mix of multiple choice and true/false. No essay.

4. You are supposed to be in 10 hours of instruction. We got several breaks. Then to and from the range. Then lunch. Then back to the classroom for the last 5 hours of videos and classroom discussion. Then the instructor passed out the tests and graded them when finished. Everyone passed the shooting and final test. All that is presented to the DPS is a pass or fail on both tests, no scores. No big deal.

The worst part is the 10 hours. That's a long time to keep anyone's attention.

Have Fun! :txflag:

Here is an example of the shooting test for the CHL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLDN_bY0Hs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 9

Post by joe817 »

This has been one incredible thread. I want to thank everybody who posted. It was most informative, I learned a lot and I hope people who have similar questions in the future, read this thread in its entirety.

:tiphat: :txflag: :clapping:

I think it's so informative that I suggest it might make a suitable sticky. But that's not for me to decide.

Thanks again everyone!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well, I finally took the class today, and it was exactly as I expected, thanks to all the people who posted in this thread. There were no surprises, and everything went very smooth.

What was talked about in class was exactly the type of things we talk about here daily.

I passed out all the cards I made up, thanks to dicion, and most were very interested and wanted to know about the forum. I got the instructors' permission to pass out the cards, and invited everyone there to stop by and join in the fun.

Oh. I scored 98% on the written exam(missed 1, doggonit), and scored 248 on the proficiency test.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Congratulations.. :cheers2: ..now you get to wait and wait. :banghead:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

congratulations Joe... :tiphat:
we knew you could do it ... ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Thanks usa1, couldn't have done it wit out ya! ;-)

Now I get to wait around for some paperwork from another city before I send in the packet. Oh joy, more waiting before I can officially start waiting! :lol:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

maybe , just mayyybe ,by the time you send in your packet ,
DPS may be better up to speed on the their processing .

but ,one good thing is , you dont live in Harris county ...thats a plus :thumbs2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”