How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Flatland2D »

Reysc wrote::grin: :grin: :grin: WOW!!! GUESS WHAT SHOWED WHEN I CHECKED MY STATUS..

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

That's 53 days as of today and now the long wait for the mailman!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: Hey, jbenat I'm not only staring at the mailbox but I'm camping out... Heck, I'm not working today!!!! Might go to the Gun Show at Big Town and get me some night sights for my G26!!
sdsmhar, there is a sale of tents at academy, camp out by the mail box like jbenat and myself!! :lol: :lol:
Dang, you beat me Reysc! Glad your status changed. I'm curious to see how long it takes to get to your mailbox.

<grumpy rant>
So I gave DPS $140, took a 14 hour course, jumped through all their other hoops, and then they still can't fullfil their end of the bargain. I agree, they have absolutely NO system in their office. Any kind of order means a degree of predictability, which there is none, so I'm lead to believe it's chaos up there.
</grumpy rant>

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Seriously though, I am glad you got your status changed today. :smile:

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Re: Waiting & waiting & waiting

Post by jbenat »

jbenat wrote:There seems to be no system at DPS. I'm at day 94 and they said it was ready to mail last Friday (3/31/6). No CHL yet. Status changed yesterday to "Application Completed - Lisence issued or Certificate Active". Maybe today. Wife got hers in just 54 days. Mine, if I get it today, will have taken 40 days longer to process. All the time I hear about people getting theirs in 60 or so days. I don't understand why some whistle through and others just seem to languish in never, never land.

I think it's just who's desk your ap. lands on. We are going to E. Texas this weekend to look at some properties. If my license arrives Saturday it will just have to sit in the mail box untill Sunday night.

As someone mentioned in a previous post, We've lived a long life without a CHL. Guess another few days won't matter. NOT!!!!!! :evil:

NO CHL TODAY!!! MY PATIENCE AND GOOD HUMOR ARE RAPIDLY DISAPPEARING!!!!!
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Flatland2d,
Trust me I know how you feel ...Really hard to figure how they do their stuff in Austin. Jbenat's case is another one. Wife got her's in 52 days and Jbenat i believe is on his 90th day and has been starring at his mail box since the end of March !! They both mailed their packets at the same time, go figure.. Just add a sense of humor to it and before you know it, it's here!!Just propely document eveything here and hopeully we can see a trend or common denomitors but it sonds like trying t find out where lighting is gonna it next... Hang in there Flatland!! Go shopping for more toys.
ReySC

sdmahr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sdmahr »

Speaking of DPS:

I've been working in business for 25 years. For the last 10-12 years I have been involved in "lean"....meaning doing more with less ! In these exercises, we do something called "process mapping". It's basically charting the "flow" of a process, from start to finish. It shows inputs, outputs, decision points, etc. etc.

It is AMAZING to see what the results are after a process mapping exercise. Its often times rediculous to see how many people are involved and the incredible waste there is in the system you are studying. Many don't even realize its so complicated and wasteful because, "thats the way we have always done it".

Ladies and Gents: I believe DPS is RIPE FOR A PROCESS MAPPING AND IMPROVEMENT EXERCISE ! ! If I had to guess, I bet we could fill up several walls with flip charts of the process our applications go through flying around in endless loops, stalls, and pigeon holes. I bet they have an office FULL of people doing the same thing every day with very little understanding of what they are doing beyond what they are told. This would become a virtual nightmare as people are out on vacation, medical leave, etc.

I dare to bet with a simple exercise process time could easily be reduced and with fewer people to do the job. This smells of ripe opportunity for improvement.

I know I'm preaching to the chior, even if you don't understand anything about what I've written, you certainly understand the frustration of a system that seems to have no rhythm.
Packing...I refuse to be a VICTIM.

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Flatland2D »

I know what you mean. My current employer has been trying to implement some lean thinking strategies. I really wish DPS disclosed more about how they process applications. The "paperwork" I've been asking about is supposedly waiting to come back from a certain county. I've had five addresses in the last five years (but only in two different counties) so I'm guessing it is maybe a county background check that is holding me up? Whatever it is, I can't believe they have to go through snail mail to get it. It's a state supported institution, they should have access to all the resources they need right there, or at least be able to get the necessary info over the phone. It would blow my mind if they were having to process every step through the postal system. But, somehow I wouldn't be surprised.

I really don't mean to be a jerk in calling them so much and being a little pushy. My previous experience in customer service has taught me the squeaky wheel gets the oil. No matter how good of a case you have or how right you are, the customer that makes a scene will always be the one that gets their way. No one is going to care about what you want if you're not going to fuss about it.

Completely revamping the application process would be a great goal for 2007, if legislative action would be required. I like the idea posted about refunding your money if you are not approved in 60 days. I don't care if it takes money away from DPS or not, I just feel like I'm getting ripped off having paid so much and them not doing their job. Maybe once I get my CHL issued I will call them back and ask for a refund! :lol:

Thing is, no matter how upset I am right now about the application process, I probably won't care anymore once I slip my license into my wallet. :smile:

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Sdmarh wrote;
I've been working in business for 25 years. For the last 10-12 years I have been involved in "lean"....meaning doing more with less ! In these exercises, we do something called "process mapping". It's basically charting the "flow" of a process, from start to finish. It shows inputs, outputs, decision points, etc. etc.

Sdmahr.. Many moons ago in a far away country I used to conduct seminars re: PERT-CPM. Exactly what you call "process mapping".
Pert-cpm=Performance Evaluation Route Techique-Critical Path Method. You're right you chart/map the work flow process from start to finish, you discover a lot of wasted time, resources etc....Gosh, if government offices are ran like a lean and mean private entity...... can't imagine :?: :?:
ReySC

lrb111
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lrb111 »

llwatson wrote:The expiration is based on the issue date. And, if you want to know when that is, when you get your license, look at the series of numbers on the left side of the license next to your picture. Ignore the first 2 digits and the last 4. In the middle is your issue date. I.E., mine says: 01030620050844. It was issued on March 6,2005.
That's odd, mine says 11-16-2005 which was 8 days after i mailed my original application. fwiw, my license was 99 working days from mailing to receiving.
From November to March.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

lrb111 wrote: That's odd, mine says 11-16-2005 which was 8 days after i mailed my original application. fwiw, my license was 99 working days from mailing to receiving.
From November to March.
Makes you wonder what they were doing for the other 91 days now, doesn't it?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

llwatson wrote:
Makes you wonder what they were doing for the other 91 days now, doesn't it?
Trying to think about bueracracies makes my mind reel.. :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel depressed. Today is day 28 of my wait, and I haven't even received my PIN, yet. I am losing my optimism that I'll get my license in 60 days or less.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

barres wrote:You guys sure know how to make a guy feel depressed. Today is day 28 of my wait, and I haven't even received my PIN, yet. I am losing my optimism that I'll get my license in 60 days or less.
It happens. I got my license in 61 days, so you might be lucky.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

DaveT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DaveT »

My son sent his packet in right at 30 days ago, he received his PIN notification letter last Friday.

Hard to explain 'patience' to a 21 year old !

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by age_ranger »

83 days and I called to find out what the holdup was. Turns out that the supporting documentation for my self report was lost and my guess is that it was simply cast aside. Hopefully, I can get it faxed over and get things moving. We'll see............ :sad:

abelgarza1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by abelgarza1 »

What is the website address to check the status. FTR, I just sent mine app out today certified. It should be in Austin by Wednesday.

*edit* nevermind... https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NAS ... AppManager

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!

Post by jbenat »

Day 98 and it finally arrived. :lol:

No more whinning about my CHL processing. Hope you guys get faster service than I did. I wish I knew what it would take to speed up the process. My wife got her's about a month & a half sooner than I did & I don't have a clue why.

Anyway the wait is over! :grin: I've gotten to sorta know some good people here. I'll be seeing you on other forum subjects. Let's keep in contact.
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”