Four .32ACP rounds required to stop the threat!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oilman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oilman »

Velocity wrote:Since we're on the topic - I came across THIS back March of 2004 while mowing grass in the backyard of my surburban home northwest of Houston :

My thoughts, pretty much in the following order, were :

1. I'm getting my gun (see, on topic!) - oh wait - that'd be followed by a police visit - bad idea.
2. Wow, that thing must be at least 3 feet long (what you see in the picture is about half of the snake, the other half is concealed in the grass).
3. That looks a lot like a copperhead. :shock:
4. Is that a hood?!??! :shock: :shock:

I wound up convincing it (with a long broom handle, barely visible in the picture) to relocate on the OTHER side of my backyard fence, which backs up to a field, which backs up to woods.

After talking to someone with a bit more knowledge than myself, they said it was probably an "Eastern Hognose", which as it turns out, is harmless.

I wound up finding a baby eastern hognose the next year - definitely confirmed that's what it was as it exhibited a trait specific to the eastern hognose - playing dead. I'm not kidding, it actually flips over on it's back with it's mouth hanging open. Best part is if you flip it back over (correct side UP), it'll flip itself BACK onto it's back to "prove" to you that it's really dead. :roll:
I remember reading somewhere else that the first defense mechanism it uses (before playing dead) is to rise up and flare its neck like a cobra. You can see that in the picture of the snake near the fence.

Here is more info on this snake.

http://www.texassnakes.net/Hognose.html

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

When I lived in Arizona, I saw one of those do that. interesting!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand :roll: @ the rest of you.

Mage34
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mage34 »

40FIVER wrote:
dave_in_austin wrote:Irrational fear of and knee-jerk destruction of snakes is as bad as irrational fear and knee-jerk control of guns. Both snakes and guns are beneficial and generally not dangerous. Killing all snakes because they look like one that might injure someone is as bad as banning some types of rifles because of the way they look.
Take a chill pill.

You sound like someone just killed one of your family members. Sheesh.
Kind of reminds me of the giant cockroach in "Men in Black".

There is nothing irrational about my disdain for all things snake. Also, it is never a knee-jerk reaction wihen I kill one. It is premeditated and quite fulfilling.
Agree.....and like my Grandpa use to say...it doesn't have to bite you to give you a heart attack.....
You can still drill threw glass........

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”