Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

Post by poppo »

EEllis wrote:
OldCannon wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.
Some places run a background check regardless of CHL (I think Academy still has this policy, right?)

Your best bet is to find a dealer that not only accepts your CHL, but will give you a transfer discount if you're a CHL holder.

I wonder who does that? :mrgreen: ;-)
Academy didn't make the call when I bought a gun last week.
I've bought several guns from different Academys and never had them run a check. However, they are extremely nit picky on the 4473 and need like 5 people to double check everything. So there is no time saved with them.

Guns I've bought at the gun show OTOH (from dealers) get done at warp speed. I don't think it's ever taken more than 5 minutes after I finish filling out the form to be on my way.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”