Tell me where I was in the wrong...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Tell me where I was in the wrong...

Post by sjfcontrol »

baldeagle wrote:The Garland Shooting Range allows you to CC to your station, then unholster and prepare for your shooting practice. I know because I called and asked them BEFORE I went there. The Bullet Trap has a clearly visible sign that says no loaded weapons are allowed. I'm surprised you think you can carry a loaded weapon into their store, CC or not. If a store has a policy that they don't allow loaded weapons, then you disrespect the store by carrying a loaded weapon. The store owner or staff has the right to ask you to leave immediately, and if you don't comply, you can be charged with trespassing. After all, it's a private business. They can make any rules they want, and you can choose to go elsewhere if you think their rules are goofy, silly, ridiculous, offensive or whatever.

If I go to the Bullet Trap to shoot my EDC, I unload and remove the magazine in the car before entering the store. As CHL holders our primary duty is to uphold the law in all situations. That means we either obey the wishes of business owners or we don't shop there. A shop that has a sign that says no loaded weapons allowed has made their intentions crystal clear. It has nothing to do with 30.06 or our rights as CHL holders.
As has been stated before, signs not withstanding, the Bullet Trap has no problem with CHL's CC'ing to the booth, then changing ammo and shooting. (Or at least that was the policy prior to the ownership change.)

In red -- so you obey gun-buster signs?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
Shinesintx
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Shinesintx »

sjfcontrol wrote:
baldeagle wrote:The Garland Shooting Range allows you to CC to your station, then unholster and prepare for your shooting practice. I know because I called and asked them BEFORE I went there. The Bullet Trap has a clearly visible sign that says no loaded weapons are allowed. I'm surprised you think you can carry a loaded weapon into their store, CC or not. If a store has a policy that they don't allow loaded weapons, then you disrespect the store by carrying a loaded weapon. The store owner or staff has the right to ask you to leave immediately, and if you don't comply, you can be charged with trespassing. After all, it's a private business. They can make any rules they want, and you can choose to go elsewhere if you think their rules are goofy, silly, ridiculous, offensive or whatever.

If I go to the Bullet Trap to shoot my EDC, I unload and remove the magazine in the car before entering the store. As CHL holders our primary duty is to uphold the law in all situations. That means we either obey the wishes of business owners or we don't shop there. A shop that has a sign that says no loaded weapons allowed has made their intentions crystal clear. It has nothing to do with 30.06 or our rights as CHL holders.
As has been stated before, signs not withstanding, the Bullet Trap has no problem with CHL's CC'ing to the booth, then changing ammo and shooting. (Or at least that was the policy prior to the ownership change.)

I stopped by the Bullet Trap the to show one of their salesman my new trigger on the P238 he sold me. Saw him a few days earlier and I told him about the trigger. The guy really wanted to see how it turned out, so when I stopped by in a few more days, he granted me permission to show it to him. I asked if he was sure and he said the Mgmt had no issue with it...as it was a gun store.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Teamless wrote:
baldeagle wrote: I'm surprised you think you can carry a loaded weapon into their store, CC or not.
If it is not 30.06 posted, it is no different than a "no guns" sign on any other store.
Walk right past, Concealed.
However I agree that if you are going to shoot your concealed carry, then you need to respect the signage and take it in empty.
Of course, that was the conditions that the OP described, to which I was responding.
Teamless wrote:
baldeagle wrote:The store owner or staff has the right to ask you to leave immediately, and if you don't comply, you can be charged with trespassing. After all, it's a private business
Agreed, but again, if it is concealed and going to remain concealed, as long as they do not ask you to leave (they have to see it to reprimand you for it, concealed is concealed), then you are good to carry.
Of course, but again, that wasn't the conditions which the OP described. He wanted to carry his EDC AND shoot it at the range.
Teamless wrote:
baldeagle wrote:They can make any rules they want, and you can choose to go elsewhere if you think their rules are goofy, silly, ridiculous, offensive or whatever
I have to ask, do you ever walk past a "no guns" sticker, or do you go disarm?
Me, I follow the laws of the Great State of Texas. It says if it is not PROPERLY 30.06, not 51% or a few other limitations, then I can carry, and do not feel that I am disrespecting them.
I follow the law. If the location is 30.06 posted, I disarm or don't enter. If it's not, I enter armed. (IOW, gunbuster signs, out of compliance 30.06 signs, unlicensed carry signs, etc., are ignored.) If "discovered" and asked to leave, I will immediately exit. Then I will write the store and explain why they have lost my business forever.
sjfcontrol wrote: In red -- so you obey gun-buster signs?
See above.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Munson
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Munson »

Your first problem was going to carters Country. Your second problem was buying something from them. If you don't agree with their policies and procedures, go somewhere else. And yes, you have been warned so the next time could be trespass. Sorry for the rant, they are not on my favorites list.

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

Munson wrote:Your first problem was going to carters Country. Your second problem was buying something from them. If you don't agree with their policies and procedures, go somewhere else. And yes, you have been warned so the next time could be trespass. Sorry for the rant, they are not on my favorites list.
1) I was not familiar with Carters Countrys policies. I had never been there and was out of town for Christmas.

2) There ammo was crazy high...will concede your point about buying from them.

3) I dont agree with their policies, but will comply next time.

4) Trespass will not be an issue.

5) No worries about the mini rant. What happened?

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 27

Post by wgoforth »

Shinesintx wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

I stopped by the Bullet Trap the to show one of their salesman my new trigger on the P238 he sold me. Saw him a few days earlier and I told him about the trigger. The guy really wanted to see how it turned out, so when I stopped by in a few more days, he granted me permission to show it to him. I asked if he was sure and he said the Mgmt had no issue with it...as it was a gun store.
I want to know about this trigger...wife and I carry the P238, but the trigger hurts her finger...
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 21

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Pawpaw wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Even without a 30:06 sign, I am thinking, the instant you pull out the firearm, you break the law. That would be called, intentional failure to conceal. Yes??? No??? Maybe???
If it is, then we all break the law when we pull a pistol out of our range bag.
CHL-16 wrote:PC §46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY. (a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do
not apply to:
<snip>
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity
on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en
route between the premises and the actor's residence or motor
vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

I thought about that after I posted but decided to leave the question up to be sure. Thanks for the response. :txflag:

03Lightningrocks

The good folks at Bullet Trap teach CHL classes and work under the assumption that you know the laws. That sign does not apply to you if you have a CHL. That sign is to keep folks from coming in with loaded(UNCONCEALED) firearms. It is amazing how many well meaning folks will walk in with a loaded gun, whip it out of the box and ask them what it is worth or if they can "fix it". Again... this is NOT speculation... they don't mean for folks with a CHL to disarm in the parking lot or anywhere else.

OOPS!!! I posted this before I saw the other posts beating the topic to death.... :deadhorse: ... sorry bout that.

Topic author
Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

wgoforth wrote:
Shinesintx wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

I want to know about this trigger...wife and I carry the P238, but the trigger hurts her finger...
Did an online search, came up with a thread in the 1911forum.com. Joined the site just to PM the guy who was selling the triggers.

Heres the thread: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=331060

I think the stainless trigger was 50 bucks. Installing it is the tricky part, ya need a gunsmith. No way was that trigger pin ever gonna come out. Paid around a hundred bucks to have the Smith at Rays Hardware in Dallas do the job.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

03Lightningrocks wrote:The good folks at Bullet Trap teach CHL classes and work under the assumption that you know the laws. That sign does not apply to you if you have a CHL. That sign is to keep folks from coming in with loaded(UNCONCEALED) firearms. It is amazing how many well meaning folks will walk in with a loaded gun, whip it out of the box and ask them what it is worth or if they can "fix it". Again... this is NOT speculation... they don't mean for folks with a CHL to disarm in the parking lot or anywhere else.
Well, that's a bit irritating. The sign should then read "Unless you are a CHL holder, no loaded weapons." or something similar. The sign is misleading.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

The indoor range I shoot at, in Tyler, has a no loaded guns sign also. Before I took the CHL class from them, I inquired as to exactly what that meant. I was assured it did not apply to CHL holders. At this point in time, I would not have asked as I would know that for myself.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

baldeagle wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:The good folks at Bullet Trap teach CHL classes and work under the assumption that you know the laws. That sign does not apply to you if you have a CHL. That sign is to keep folks from coming in with loaded(UNCONCEALED) firearms. It is amazing how many well meaning folks will walk in with a loaded gun, whip it out of the box and ask them what it is worth or if they can "fix it". Again... this is NOT speculation... they don't mean for folks with a CHL to disarm in the parking lot or anywhere else.
Well, that's a bit irritating. The sign should then read "Unless you are a CHL holder, no loaded weapons." or something similar. The sign is misleading.
The DFW Range on Mockingbird in Dallas has a sign on the front door similar to what you said. It says something to the effect of "No loaded guns past this door unless you are CHL."

That way, there's no question...

03Lightningrocks

baldeagle wrote:
I am not trying to be a wise cracker but we should all know that the sign does not apply to us as CHL holders. The signage issues are covered in all CHL classes. There is only one sign that applies to us. All others don't. For me, there is nothing misleading about a "no loaded guns allowed" or a "gun busters" sign at any business. This one is no different.

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 27

Post by wgoforth »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
I am not trying to be a wise cracker but we should all know that the sign does not apply to us as CHL holders. The signage issues are covered in all CHL classes. There is only one sign that applies to us. All others don't. For me, there is nothing misleading about a "no loaded guns allowed" or a "gun busters" sign at any business. This one is no different.
Ehh, not so much I am afraid. I had no idea until going through CHL instructor training this week that instructors are being taught that all no gun signage tells you the intent and should be obeyed. During breaks, I talked with various other students about the matter and most seemed to have agreed that you have been served notice. In fact, the Captain went as far as to say that if a sign is non-compliant, call it in to the DPS... and that even if the business did not do what was proper, you are to respect their signage intent. While I do not agree, it is incorrect to assume that "the signage issues are covered in all CHL classes" to the correct view. What is disturbing, is that there were 81 instructors coming out of this class...and many more been/being taught this view.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03Lightningrocks

wgoforth wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Ehh, not so much I am afraid. I had no idea until going through CHL instructor training this week that instructors are being taught that all no gun signage tells you the intent and should be obeyed. During breaks, I talked with various other students about the matter and most seemed to have agreed that you have been served notice. In fact, the Captain went as far as to say that if a sign is non-compliant, call it in to the DPS... and that even if the business did not do what was proper, you are to respect their signage intent. While I do not agree, it is incorrect to assume that "the signage issues are covered in all CHL classes" to the correct view. What is disturbing, is that there were 81 instructors coming out of this class...and many more been/being taught this view.

Wow...that is more than disturbing. The instructer of that class should be reported for teaching improper training. I am surprised that they will just let any old goof ball teach CHL classes. :banghead:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”