Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Is Concealed and Secret the Same

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I don't make an issue of it and nobody I knows does either. The only time anyone has ever asked me if I have a CHL was when I set up a Utah class for some of my employees. A few of them asked if I had one to see if it was something "normal" people do, I guess. I don't live out in the sticks like OG, we have indoor plumbing and everything that goes along with it, but like OG nobody in my circle could care less about whether or not I have a gun. I can't imagine what kind of conversation would lead up to announcing I am carrying a gun.
We've got indoor plumbing.... :totap:
A bucket in the closet would be considered an upgrade from an Out House, but I am not sure it would be considered indoor plumbing. :mrgreen:

OK then... how about electricity? :totap:
We've got running water and electricity. However, living in our little hamlet is sometimes much akin to living on the end of a bad extension cord. That's the bad news. The good news is that you do know whom to call when the lights go out.

The other good news is that we don't have an undue amount of B&E, robberies, murders, rapes, auto thefts, knifings, fisticuffs and all those other things that you big city dudes and dudettes have to be on constant guard against...so there.

I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of anyone retiring to the big city or to the north. Why is that? :waiting:
OK...you win with that last line. I just wanted to verify there would be electricity and running water before I retire to the sticks. I have roughly another 15 years.... give or take 5 years.

GaryAdrian
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GaryAdrian »

True Story.
My brother n law his wife, my wife and my self along with another friend and his wife was talking to the "New Manager" of BeeJays in Clear Lake just before we walked out. We eat there a lot and we get to know the staff very well.
BJ's had a incorrectly placed 51% sign behind the bar a week before and my brother n law informed the new manager about it. It came down. BJ's was not a 51% bar. Food is served. Good food at that.
As we talked about this standing around the "New Manager" ,my brother n law told him that he was the most protected man in the building. He looked at the six of us standing around him and got a funny look.
"Don't tell me ALL of you are carrying?" he asked.
:mrgreen: *
We just smiled.

:cheers2:
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

I had an amusing experience some time ago.

I was talking with a neighbor about some gang wantabees in our neighborhood. I don’t remember what led up to it but he made the smart remark “what would you do, hit them with your cane?”. I replied “why would I do that when I have a gun on me?”. His reaction? :shock: Conversation finished. :lol:

The wantabees didn’t last too long. I think a few went to jail and the rest didn’t want to.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

buffalo_speedway_tx

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

Man! We love Beejays in Clear Lake!! :clapping: Really good food & nice atmosphere. I am glad to hear the management has good sense too. While they have a bar and their own beer, I doubt that is is a 51% place with all the food being served.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I don't make an issue of it and nobody I knows does either. The only time anyone has ever asked me if I have a CHL was when I set up a Utah class for some of my employees. A few of them asked if I had one to see if it was something "normal" people do, I guess. I don't live out in the sticks like OG, we have indoor plumbing and everything that goes along with it, but like OG nobody in my circle could care less about whether or not I have a gun. I can't imagine what kind of conversation would lead up to announcing I am carrying a gun.
We've got indoor plumbing.... :totap:
A bucket in the closet would be considered an upgrade from an Out House, but I am not sure it would be considered indoor plumbing. :mrgreen:

OK then... how about electricity? :totap:
We've got running water and electricity. However, living in our little hamlet is sometimes much akin to living on the end of a bad extension cord. That's the bad news. The good news is that you do know whom to call when the lights go out.

The other good news is that we don't have an undue amount of B&E, robberies, murders, rapes, auto thefts, knifings, fisticuffs and all those other things that you big city dudes and dudettes have to be on constant guard against...so there.

I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of anyone retiring to the big city or to the north. Why is that? :waiting:
OK...you win with that last line. I just wanted to verify there would be electricity and running water before I retire to the sticks. I have roughly another 15 years.... give or take 5 years.
Talk about the sticks, in three or four years I am moving to Alice, Texas. The outskirts of Alice no less. Rush hour in Alice is 15 minutes. :woohoo
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Alice is a huge town ... compared to Burnet (and that's a County Seat)
2000 census Alice, Texas 19,010
2000 census Burnet, Texas 4,735

Small town benefits: Go to the bank and go inside, go to the city Depts and pay utility bills, go grocery shop, go to the Post Office and mail bills, go home and see if the TV comercial is over yet, if not, bring in groceries.

But then, I grew up bicycling to Westheimer and Post Oak (610) in Houston to watch the cows and people used to ask why we wanted to live so far from Houston when we moved to Bellaire, because the Houston Bus barely went that far, and the milk truck didn't yet. Back when you could go hunting and swimming in the bayous.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Oldgringo wrote:I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of anyone retiring to the big city or to the north. Why is that? :waiting:
Lots of people retire to big cities. I have a friend who is an agent and he was telling me about empty nesters selling their big house in the burbs and buying a condo in or near downtown. Much closer to museums, theaters, stadiums. He's in Houston so maybe it's different in less desirable cities.

I'm with you about the north. People who lived their whole lives there do retire there but I don't know anybody who moved up north to retire.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LOL...well this thread got derailed. :bigear:

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »