Police compromising your concealment

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Police compromising your concealment

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Name, badge number, and same for supervisors. After that a phone call to Austin.

:txflag:

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Just ignore the question and if they 'discover' you simply say "What did you say, sonny? My hearing isn't too good these days. I thought you asked if I worked for DHL" "rlol" "rlol"

I think, personally, I would stay away from the meeting. I lived in AZ one time where a guy went crazy at a similar meeting and opened fire on the crowd. Them (the police) wanting to dsarm me wouldn't encourage me to go to the meeting.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

Kevinf2349 wrote:Just ignore the question and if they 'discover' you simply say "What did you say, sonny? My hearing isn't too good these days. I thought you asked if I worked for DHL" "rlol" "rlol"

I think, personally, I would stay away from the meeting. I lived in AZ one time where a guy went crazy at a similar meeting and opened fire on the crowd. Them (the police) wanting to dsarm me wouldn't encourage me to go to the meeting.
Perhaps he was enraged by a Police Officer's demand?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

jsimmons
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jsimmons »

I would not have complied. They had no reason to disarm anyone, and there was apparently no indication that any of the attendees was about to go postal. The officers had no reason to fear for their safety. It would be the same as them walking into a restaurant for lunch and disarming CHL holders for no reason.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

A cop showing up at your HOA to give a pep talk doesn't make it a government meeting.
Byron Dickens

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

With all the responses I've had on this thread it has caused me to do some hard thinking. I had pretty much made up my mind not to attend the meeting; but now I'm having second thoughts. The meeting is today at 5pm in our club room. They hold these sessions every year to talk about crime prevention and safety where senior citizens are concerned. It's a cooperative effort between the apartment management and the police department. I want to know if last year's incident was a fluke or a real policy. So I've decided to attend - not carrying my weapon - and see what happens. If they bring up the CHL thing again then I will take the matter further up the command ladder. But that will be at a later time and not in front of a room full of my friends and neighbors. I'm not looking for a confrontation with these cops. Let's just see what happens. I'll let you guys know.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Ooh-rah! Looking forward to hearing more. Have you talked to any of the meeting organizers since the last event regarding this issue? Can you, before tonights meeting?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

blue

Post by blue »

Oh, the temptation!!!!
----------

....(loud voice) OK..ALL you Granny's, STOP Picking on the policemen, You done got them Scared....

------------
Houston's "finest" really seems to be determined to maintain a image as one of the worse PD's in Texas. From the OP looks like they are being successful as usual.

(Scared of a bunch of SENIORS!!! HA HA HA HA!!)

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

Purplehood wrote:Ooh-rah! Looking forward to hearing more. Have you talked to any of the meeting organizers since the last event regarding this issue? Can you, before tonights meeting?
Affirmative - I spoke with the apartment manager a few minutes ago. She said the management has no policy regarding weapons or CHL's. I showed her my license - I don't think she had ever seen one. She said as far as the apartments was concerned my having a CHL and carrying a weapon was strictly a private matter and nobody's business but mine. She was at the meeting last year and she did recall the issue of CHL's coming up. BTW, the same officer that conducted the meeting last year will be there this afternoon as well. So the matter of disarming CHL holders came strictly from the police and not the apartment management. If the police ask CHL holders to disarm for the meeting I will be "chatting" with that officer after the meeting. She said he's a "real nice guy". I hope he remains that way after the meeting. :totap:

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

LEO NEVER should ask anyone to identify themselves as a CHL holder in front of a group or another individual. Nor does he have the authority to ask you to disarm during a meeting on the premises where your residence is located. This person needs to get another job if he is this paranoid with the one he has.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

Topic author
frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Seriously just ask
1. How in any way is that relevant to the meeting?
2. Why?
3. Chuckle politely and just walk out.
(then call and throw a fuss)

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

YabuUS wrote:
Purplehood wrote:Ooh-rah! Looking forward to hearing more. Have you talked to any of the meeting organizers since the last event regarding this issue? Can you, before tonights meeting?
Affirmative - I spoke with the apartment manager a few minutes ago. She said the management has no policy regarding weapons or CHL's. I showed her my license - I don't think she had ever seen one. She said as far as the apartments was concerned my having a CHL and carrying a weapon was strictly a private matter and nobody's business but mine. She was at the meeting last year and she did recall the issue of CHL's coming up. BTW, the same officer that conducted the meeting last year will be there this afternoon as well. So the matter of disarming CHL holders came strictly from the police and not the apartment management. If the police ask CHL holders to disarm for the meeting I will be "chatting" with that officer after the meeting. She said he's a "real nice guy". I hope he remains that way after the meeting. :totap:
If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, this Officer is an invitee with his own agenda.

I sure hope you don't live in my neighborhood. I have yet to attend a meeting and this makes me really really suspicious...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

I've just come from the Crime Watch meeting at my complex and the same officer who conducted the meeting last year was there again today. He made no mention of CHL holders disarming this time. In fact the only time CHL was even mentioned was when he was talking about us forming property patrols comprised of several tenants willing to walk the property at night. He said (and I couldn't believe this) that anyone with a CHL should leave their weapon at home when on these patrols. I thought to myself that I didn't go to the trouble of getting my CHL so I could leave my weapon at home! After the meeting I had a chance to talk with this officer in private. I identified myself and asked about his comments from last year's meeting. I stated my case that his "request" last year would have outed any CHL holders in the room and I said that was a terrible idea. I must have made a persuasive case because he totally backed down and said he was only kidding when he asked people with CHL's to raise their hands. He said he never really expected anyone to actually do it. He agreed with me that CHL holders should not be exposed in public and that it was just a poor statement he had made and said he should change his approach in the future. So this was not a policy of the police department but rather just one officer putting his foot in his mouth. We shook hands and parted amicably. I am very happy and relieved at the way this all turned out. Thanks for all your comments and views, and I really appreciate your support.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Wonderful report YabuUS! Thanks for sharing that with us. The LEO knew he said something he shouldn't have, and it seems in a round about way, apologized for that foo pa pa(I don't know the correct spelling, but I think it's french, lol).

I'm glad you had a private talk with him to set him straight. He sounds like a pretty good guy, all things said. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

YabuUS wrote:I've just come from the Crime Watch meeting at my complex and the same officer who conducted the meeting last year was there again today. He made no mention of CHL holders disarming this time. In fact the only time CHL was even mentioned was when he was talking about us forming property patrols comprised of several tenants willing to walk the property at night. He said (and I couldn't believe this) that anyone with a CHL should leave their weapon at home when on these patrols. I thought to myself that I didn't go to the trouble of getting my CHL so I could leave my weapon at home! After the meeting I had a chance to talk with this officer in private. I identified myself and asked about his comments from last year's meeting. I stated my case that his "request" last year would have outed any CHL holders in the room and I said that was a terrible idea. I must have made a persuasive case because he totally backed down and said he was only kidding when he asked people with CHL's to raise their hands. He said he never really expected anyone to actually do it. He agreed with me that CHL holders should not be exposed in public and that it was just a poor statement he had made and said he should change his approach in the future. So this was not a policy of the police department but rather just one officer putting his foot in his mouth. We shook hands and parted amicably. I am very happy and relieved at the way this all turned out. Thanks for all your comments and views, and I really appreciate your support.
Great news YabuUS! Sounds like while he may not be totally pro-CHL he is not anti. Glad it was a good meeting and you had the opportunity to clear up things! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”