How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

jbenat, at least you know what happened.. :roll: :roll: hopefully it will be in the mail soon ;-) ;-) Maybe the "wait "adds to the CHL's being precious ???

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Post by jbenat »

Thanks Reysc. If, and when I get it, I will be tempted to run up and down the street skipping and singing. I'll probably go out and try to get a ticket just to show it off to the LEO! :razz:

When it comes time to renew I'll start the process about six months early just in case my application winds up on someones desk that is on a extended vacation. :lol:

You guys are going to miss my whinning when I'm able to move out of this forum subject. Maybe we need a new catagory on the "How Long Poll" for 80 to 100 days. :idea:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

"If, and when I get it, I will be tempted to run up and down the street skipping and singing. I'll probably go out and try to get a ticket just to show it off to the LEO! "

That's funny cuz my wife said something similar referring to what I will do when my CHL finally gets here.. :lol: Another thing is where are we gonna hang-out when the wait is over??? :???: :???: No more checking status, no more agonizing wait and comforting each other :lol: :lol: ..Oh well, I guess we can bump into each other in other sections of the Forum!! Later guys...

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

I'm curious, how many people that are +60 days sent their packets in with a return reciept requested?

My chl instructor told me that any packet w/o one would go to the bottom of the pile. I'm wondering if thats accurate or not...
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

I did not have a return slip. Just mailed my packet first class mail. I had my PIN# even before I got the packet DPS sent me. It came with my on line receipt since I applied on line. Let's see how that plays..

jbenat

Luck Of The Draw

Post by jbenat »

Nitrogen wrote;

I'm curious, how many people that are +60 days sent their packets in with a return reciept requested?

I didn't didn't send "return reciept requested" but neither did my better half and she got hers back in about 54 days. I'm now on day 87. Did not get return call yesterday, again, but I will be back in contact today. The luck of the draw is whose desk your application winds up on.
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

jbenat

Life is good again!!!!

Post by jbenat »

The wait is about over. Just got off the phone with DPS and was told my license is approved and will be in the mail today. 88 days of processing and whatever time it takes to mail it.

Reysc: I'm sure we will all run into each other on other forums since I really enjoy this forum and the people I've met here.

Barres: Congradulations on the birth of your new son!!!! :lol: Have you taken him to the gun range yet?

Nitrogen: Regarding posts on another part on this forum, you sound like a good guy. We probably agree about 95% on most things. That ain't bad.

As you can see, my mood is much improved today!!
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Hey..hey..hey :smile: !!! Congats JBenat and we better start dancing on the streets!!! Just don't get a ticket to show off your CHL to the LEO!! Keep checking on us in the "waiting room"..

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Re: Life is good again!!!!

Post by barres »

jbenat wrote: Barres: Congradulations on the birth of your new son!!!! :lol: Have you taken him to the gun range yet?
Not him, but I'm seriously thinking about taking his big brother when he turns six next month! Hey, maybe by then I'll at least have my PIN. Please.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Life is good again!!!!

Post by Kalrog »

barres wrote:Not him, but I'm seriously thinking about taking his big brother when he turns six next month! Hey, maybe by then I'll at least have my PIN. Please.
Only you know your kids - but I do subscribe to the "start them young" philosophy. My oldest is turning 4 in about 2 months and I expect to take him to the range with me sometime in the next year. Guess that means I need to get a smallish .22 rifle

dubya
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dubya »

One more Hoorah for JBenat! While still frustrating at least you are close.
Reysc, we expect much quicker service for you and eveyone else.

We all applied for CHLs for a reason and the frustration is no news to anyone here when the process becomes impersonal and "neglectful". I had/have a good reason and it helps to be able to carry when necessary; not every day for me but there are times. Doubt I'll ever need it but we all know the criminals are watching. At least we are not in Tom Delay's shoes.

Congrats to our new graduates!! :patriot:

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

" Reysc, we expect much quicker service for you and eveyone else."
Thanks for the well wishes, dubya... :smile: As I have said before, may you speak with the tongue of angel...It's 45 days today and I have 15 more agonizing days to go before it turns to torture!

Commander
Posts in topic: 1

Time frame for CHL renewal

Post by Commander »

41 days to receive my renewal license
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Flatland2D »

Just called DPS again. I was told they are still waiting on paperwork to come back in. The good news is that they said as soon as it comes back my license will be issued. But, I couldn't get an answer out of the person for how long it typically takes to get paperwork back.

Currently day 57. Really hoping to get it issued this week. If not, they'll be hearing from me much more often!

Since waiting on paperwork to come back is the last step, maybe some of the other waiting room people can ask DPS if that is where their status currently is. I've found out they don't like to talk much about the details and really limit what they say. You have to keep poking at them.

On a side note, if DPS can type in your SSN and instantly get the exact status of your application, why can't they integrate that into their website? For instance, it would say online "Step 3 of 7 completed - FBI background check" or something to that effect. That would make the wait a little easier I imagine.

When DPS issues a license, is the expiration date calculated when processing begins, or when they issue? If it's when they issue, and I don't get my license tomorrow (my birthday) then I will have an almost perfect 5 year license!

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

Flatland2D wrote:
When DPS issues a license, is the expiration date calculated when processing begins, or when they issue? If it's when they issue, and I don't get my license tomorrow (my birthday) then I will have an almost perfect 5 year license!
Based on my experience it's when processing ENDS. I sent my paperwork in on Jan 18, they started sometime in FEB, and I got my license in the beginning of march. My exp is 3-01, which is AWESOME, as my birthday is on feb 29.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”