Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Javier730
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by Javier730 »

G.A. Heath wrote: Overall I would seriously warn you to reconsider your plans and carefully implement your operation in order to avoid giving the other side ammunition to use against you and everyone else.
Correct me if im wrong but I don't believe Right2Carry planned on doing this. He was simply giving a scenario.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Javier730 wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote: Overall I would seriously warn you to reconsider your plans and carefully implement your operation in order to avoid giving the other side ammunition to use against you and everyone else.
Correct me if im wrong but I don't believe Right2Carry planned on doing this. He was simply giving a scenario.
I believe it was put out as a scenario, however the defence of the it along with the strong support he has given it since gives me the impression that it is a course of action that he, or someone else, has plans to implement. I could be wrong, but I will oppose the idea under that impression.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jmra wrote:
Cjwglock19 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority... They are asking you not to carry openly. They are not asking you not to carry. The are respecting your right, just asking you to respect their wish in the process.
:iagree:
But I don't think you are in the minority.
I agree. You are hardly in the minority.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

Javier730 wrote:

And I said that scenario would be childish and detrimental. He then started coming up with additional elements to his scenario to justify it.

Whether he planned to do it or not, it's bad.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Javier730 »

I bet we will be seeing 30.07 signs at whataburger pretty soon if people ARE planning on doing things to try to get around their policy on open carrying. Whether or not they do, I will not be affected.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gdanaher »

Right2Carry wrote:
gdanaher wrote:They are now going in the direction that oc is the only true carry and only true defense, and cc is not actually carrying at all and presents no level of safety. It just gets better and better. It's becoming a religion to some of these folks.
Please cite your source for this informatiom?
the current discussion if you can call it that on the Whataburger FB page.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Right2Carry »

G.A. Heath wrote:Right2Carry: In regards to the folks who reportedly follow the "Concealed is Concealed" and carry past a valid 30.06, or search for an entrance that is not posted, such actions are criminal and the encouragement of those actions would be a violation of the rules one must abide by in order to participate in this forum. With that in mind I suspect you are talking about those who carry past an invalid sign. It is reasonable to expect someone to meet the requirements of the law they are trying to use, if they do not meet those requirements it could be taken as a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" situation to placate both sides, or it could be something else entirely. This is a whole different can of worms than what you want to have happen at Whataburger.

You want to reveal your weapon before leaving Whataburger in order to make a point? That comes close, if not meets, the "in a manner calculated to cause alarm" requirement for Disorderly Conduct and Whataburger may even choose to print the 30.07 language on their receipt so you might want to read that as well. Should you get them to post their business with 30.06 as a result of your "carry concealed until your ready to leave then disrupt operations on your way out the door" strategy how have you advanced gun rights and advocated for the second amendment? You haven't, instead you have set them back and given the anti-gunners another Fat-man and Little Boy at Chili's to point to so they can reenforce those stereotypes they like to throw on us. Overall I would seriously warn you to reconsider your plans and carefully implement your operation in order to avoid giving the other side ammunition to use against you and everyone else.
With all due respect I never said it was my plans. That is pure assumption on yours and others parts! I stated it could happen.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Right2Carry »

Javier730 wrote:
You would be correct.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

Right2Carry wrote:
With all due respect I never said it was my plans. That is pure assumption on yours and others parts! I stated it could happen.
Ok, you gave two scenarios...

1. For the first one you stated, entering concealed and revealing your firearm on your way out is a childish attempt to thumb your nose at Whataburger. Yes, it is "legal" but is poor form.

2. In scenario 2, I could see where this could more likely happen and it not be meant to be a statement. If there is no posting, you are doing nothing wrong at that point. WB could ask you to conceal or leave at this point, and if you comply, there is no issue.

I do not want them to post anything. I find their current policy to be quite acceptable. However, if OC folks push the issue and force them to post, the sign to post against CC probably comes in the same pack. No need to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

Someone tell me again how OC is for everyone, not just the folks who seek attention and conflict.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 11

Post by gljjt »

jmra wrote:
Cjwglock19 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority... They are asking you not to carry openly. They are not asking you not to carry. The are respecting your right, just asking you to respect their wish in the process.
I agree. And I'm convinced Whataburger doesn't care about guns other than how the negative publicity affects business. Militant OC activists have created a problem that would not otherwise exist. They are idiots.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

gljjt wrote:
jmra wrote:
I agree. And I'm convinced Whataburger doesn't care about guns other than how the negative publicity affects business. Militant OC activists have created a problem that would not otherwise exist. They are idiots.

Whataburger cares as much about guns as any other business, as long as you don't force them into a decision. I'll guarantee you that the OC militants aren't done squatting on the image of CHL holders in this state, all in the name of The Constitution and their percieved right to carry any gun, any where, any time.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

It's been a long time since I have read and posted on this board and it is late. I will try my best to sound coherent. First let me state that because of numerous food allergies my family cannot safely eat out anywhere. Before we knew this, Whataburger was a favorite. So I simply do not have a dog in this particular fight. But I do have an opinion.

First, open carry. I am ecstatic that Texas finally has open carry for several reasons. The biggie for me is taking away the power of an anti LEO trying to make a case if you accidently expose your weapon. Then there is the comfort while doing things like yard work. Sure that is in my own yard but who among us can do their entire yard without stepping into the street to turn the mower around or edge along the curb? And there is convenience. I OC'd in VA last Spring because I had forgotten to pack something and needed to run to a store AFTER I had downgraded my dress. It was nice not to have to dress around the weapon and just clip it on and go. FWIW, no one seemed to notice or care. And finally, OC will allow all of the picnic guns to be displayed without fear of an errant complaint ruining it. So yes, OC is a good thing but not one I will likely employ...at least very often. It just doesn't make good tactical sense to me as a general rule.

Second, private property rights. I am one who believes whole heartedly that there is a difference between private property with limited access and private property open to the general public AND lacking access control. If you allow anyone unfettered access to your property, the ONLY people that are being turned around are the law abiding, trained and licensed. Without access control measures your business is vulnerable to mayhem; the more so if you advertise that no sheep dogs are allowed. So then the argument is, "They don't want your money, go somewhere else." What if there is no where else? As I already said, my family is replete with numerous food allergies and sensitivities. There is simply no way for us to get what we need without having to cross the threshold of a prohibited place at some point. I guess I go unprotected. After all, "their property their rules." Does this have anything to do with Whataburger? Not directly, but since it has been brought up here...

So what about Whataburger? Whataburger has been pressured into declaring some kind policy regarding OC and have done so (Given the antics of OCT & Co. I am a bit surprised we even got OC in Texas). What Whataburger did, as has been hammered to death on this thread, is say they will not welcome open carry in their store. The procedures outlined in the "memo" are not confrontational and more importantly they are NOT forbidding carry. They just don't want us scaring the sheep. Out of sight, out of mind. I believe they have walked the tight rope of compromise very skillfully. I cannot eat there, but if I could I would.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Srnewby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Srnewby »

Dragonfighter wrote:It's been a long time since I have read and posted on this board and it is late. I will try my best to sound coherent. First let me state that because of numerous food allergies my family cannot safely eat out anywhere. Before we knew this, Whataburger was a favorite. So I simply do not have a dog in this particular fight. But I do have an opinion.

First, open carry. I am ecstatic that Texas finally has open carry for several reasons. The biggie for me is taking away the power of an anti LEO trying to make a case if you accidently expose your weapon. Then there is the comfort while doing things like yard work. Sure that is in my own yard but who among us can do their entire yard without stepping into the street to turn the mower around or edge along the curb? And there is convenience. I OC'd in VA last Spring because I had forgotten to pack something and needed to run to a store AFTER I had downgraded my dress. It was nice not to have to dress around the weapon and just clip it on and go. FWIW, no one seemed to notice or care. And finally, OC will allow all of the picnic guns to be displayed without fear of an errant complaint ruining it. So yes, OC is a good thing but not one I will likely employ...at least very often. It just doesn't make good tactical sense to me as a general rule.

Second, private property rights. I am one who believes whole heartedly that there is a difference between private property with limited access and private property open to the general public AND lacking access control. If you allow anyone unfettered access to your property, the ONLY people that are being turned around are the law abiding, trained and licensed. Without access control measures your business is vulnerable to mayhem; the more so if you advertise that no sheep dogs are allowed. So then the argument is, "They don't want your money, go somewhere else." What if there is no where else? As I already said, my family is replete with numerous food allergies and sensitivities. There is simply no way for us to get what we need without having to cross the threshold of a prohibited place at some point. I guess I go unprotected. After all, "their property their rules." Does this have anything to do with Whataburger? Not directly, but since it has been brought up here...

So what about Whataburger? Whataburger has been pressured into declaring some kind policy regarding OC and have done so (Given the antics of OCT & Co. I am a bit surprised we even got OC in Texas). What Whataburger did, as has been hammered to death on this thread, is say they will not welcome open carry in their store. The procedures outlined in the "memo" are not confrontational and more importantly they are NOT forbidding carry. They just don't want us scaring the sheep. Out of sight, out of mind. I believe they have walked the tight rope of compromise very skillfully. I cannot eat there, but if I could I would.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 11

Post by gljjt »

Srnewby wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:It's been a long time since I have read and posted on this board and it is late. I will try my best to sound coherent. First let me state that because of numerous food allergies my family cannot safely eat out anywhere. Before we knew this, Whataburger was a favorite. So I simply do not have a dog in this particular fight. But I do have an opinion.

Yep.......

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”