Almost went to jail!!!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost went to jail!!!

Post by drjoker »

Why would you give your money to a an anti-2nd amendment business? If you want to make a point, give them one of those business cards that open carry texas sells that says, "no 2nd amendment rights = no money".

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Karma seldom forgets.

Yeah, fabricating a story like that just to stir the pot will come come back to bite the fabricator. It's a shame you can't or chose not to see what he was doing.

By the way, I don't believe in karma.
Friend,

I made my post about cutting him slack BEFORE he posted this:
PSTL*PAKR wrote:I will prove it. I will do it again, and post it on youtube
I was not ignoring what he was posting so there is no shame on me.
But your karma comment was well after it.
True. It is funny you responded to my karma post. It was not directed at anyone in particular.

Respect begets respect. People respond to the way they are approached. How many times have said on this forum if we expect respect we have to give respect. More often than not we have talked about this when stopped by LEOs. The same holds true when someone makes a post someone disagrees with. Take an objective look at the number of times someone makes a post and then the responses take off hammering the poster. More often than not nowadays it is about OC. If the post runs even sightly counter to the accepted norm on this forum of what OC should be they are immediately scolded by the masses. They are referred to as whiners, trolls, OCT idiots.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ARS2nd

Post by ARS2nd »

"
And, if you think it has to be someone from the business, it doesn't

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the
property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice
to the person by oral or written communication;

The police DEFINITELY have that 'apparent' authority.
Not to be overly technical, but not necessarily. Why did the police respond? Was it a customer complaint or did the manager call? Who put the sign up? Was it from corporate (the business owner) or was it put up by a manager or other employee without authority of the business owner? If a business owner called the police, clearly the responding officers would have the apparent authority.

Having said that, I don't suggest "picking a fight" based on technicalities. If you innocently missed the sign that didn't meet the specs of the law, and the cops are there to arrest you for trespass, well, that is a whole other story.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Karma seldom forgets.

Yeah, fabricating a story like that just to stir the pot will come come back to bite the fabricator. It's a shame you can't or chose not to see what he was doing.

By the way, I don't believe in karma.
Friend,

I made my post about cutting him slack BEFORE he posted this:
PSTL*PAKR wrote:I will prove it. I will do it again, and post it on youtube
I was not ignoring what he was posting so there is no shame on me.
But your karma comment was well after it.
True. It is funny you responded to my karma post. It was not directed at anyone in particular.

Respect begets respect. People respond to the way they are approached. How many times have said on this forum if we expect respect we have to give respect. More often than not we have talked about this when stopped by LEOs. The same holds true when someone makes a post someone disagrees with. Take an objective look at the number of times someone makes a post and then the responses take off hammering the poster. More often than not nowadays it is about OC. If the post runs even sightly counter to the accepted norm on this forum of what OC should be they are immediately scolded by the masses. They are referred to as whiners, trolls, OCT idiots.

I understand what you say but that is not the case here. I gave him a chance and tried to connect the dots for others to see what he was doing.

I responded to your karma comment because you made your sympathies for this guy very clear and it was obvious you took exception to me challenging him.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mojo84 wrote:
I responded to your karma comment because you made your sympathies for this guy very clear and it was obvious you took exception to me challenging him.
I did not single you out in my post about cutting him some slack. My post did not quote anyone.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
I did not single you out in my post about cutting him some slack. My post did not quote anyone.
So, are you saying I was excluded from your comment?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mayor »

TomsTXCHL wrote:Yikes nine pages, for a troll!!!

:???: :oops:

It seems to me this signage thing is pretty simple though: if you're carry a firearm, whether concealed or open, you are always on the lookout for signage. So if you see a sign, ANY sign including one that says simply "no guns", if you walk-in OC you are asking for trouble. If you walk-in anyway, CC, then you must be very confident that you are concealed.

My understanding of the standard signs, especially the 1" tall letter requirement, is that this is intended so people see the sign! And since carriers are looking in the first place, they will surely see it unless it is simply not present near the door they enter. Very small signs, or hand-written signs should be obeyed if you can see-and-read them, but if you don't/can't then the law protects you from prosecution.

then 30.07 is irrelevant. Any gun buster sign will do to prevent open carry. so far, that is what I've gotten from this thread.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mojo84 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
So, are you saying I was excluded from your comment?
My post to cut him some slack was a plea to do just that. It was not directed at anyone in particular. It was directed at everyone.

If you want to take my post as a personal insult then that is your choice. It was not meant to be.

retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

The attitude expressed by the OP of this thread is why I've been opposed to open carry, and I know he's not the only one with this attitude. A minority of belligerent people are going to ruin it for all of us and give OC a bad name. :mad5

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

mayor wrote:

It seems to me this signage thing is pretty simple though: if you're carry a firearm, whether concealed or open, you are always on the lookout for signage. So if you see a sign, ANY sign including one that says simply "no guns", if you walk-in OC you are asking for trouble. If you walk-in anyway, CC, then you must be very confident that you are concealed.

My understanding of the standard signs, especially the 1" tall letter requirement, is that this is intended so people see the sign! And since carriers are looking in the first place, they will surely see it unless it is simply not present near the door they enter. Very small signs, or hand-written signs should be obeyed if you can see-and-read them, but if you don't/can't then the law protects you from prosecution.

then 30.07 is irrelevant. Any gun buster sign will do to prevent open carry. so far, that is what I've gotten from this thread.
Legally? No. But the gun buster sign should be a strong indicator that the presence of an exposed firearm is going to result in a confrontation. So, unless you desire a confrontation the wise thing to do is cover up. Pretty simple really.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K.Mooneyham »

retrieverman wrote:The attitude expressed by the OP of this thread is why I've been opposed to open carry, and I know he's not the only one with this attitude. A minority of belligerent people are going to ruin it for all of us and give OC a bad name. :mad5
The whole point is that none of us are sure this even happened, or if it did happen, what the exact details are besides what was said by the OP. I wanted to know which Lubby's (as spelled by the OP) was the location of this incident. What words were passed between the management, the OP, the police, etc? Lots of stuff missing or odd about the story. And I'll tell you what, if the police told me to beat it, I certainly would not go back in that place, armed or not. I wouldn't want to give them any of my business, if nothing else. So, I do NOT take this story as being indicative of people who have already, or who will, open carry here in Texas.

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by zero4o3 »

baldeagle wrote: I believe there should be a reporting procedure for improper signage, perhaps only for 30.07, that allows gun carriers to report businesses that are out of compliance. Then perhaps the law can impose a fine on a business that uses improper signage and then calls the police to enforce their desires, so that they can be given a specific amount of time to either come into compliance or remove the signs. Or they can simply pay the police every time they call them, much like the charge for false alarms on alarm systems.
I wonder how they are contacting the police? If they call 911 to report the person without posting a sign (or multiple times with an invalid sign) they would likely be fined /prosecuted for a false report.

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

mayor wrote:

While neither is illegal there is a difference between walking past a 30.07 sign that is non compliant due to size and walking past a gun buster type sign. One of them shows that the property owner is clearly against licensed carry.

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

zero4o3 wrote:
baldeagle wrote: I believe there should be a reporting procedure for improper signage, perhaps only for 30.07, that allows gun carriers to report businesses that are out of compliance. Then perhaps the law can impose a fine on a business that uses improper signage and then calls the police to enforce their desires, so that they can be given a specific amount of time to either come into compliance or remove the signs. Or they can simply pay the police every time they call them, much like the charge for false alarms on alarm systems.
I wonder how they are contacting the police? If they call 911 to report the person without posting a sign (or multiple times with an invalid sign) they would likely be fined /prosecuted for a false report.
I believe the solution to this problem is to properly train the people answering these calls (911 call center or whoever). Scripted questions should be asked such as "Are you properly posted". Police response should be based on those answers. If the answers are incorrect or intentially misleading then the caller should be investigated and held accountable.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Golly Gee Whiz, everybody must be tired of football? Why don't we all take a break from what has become a somewhat contentious thread with no clear winner.....and just get along?

The real OC stories start next week when things return to normal and folk wear their guns to work....or not.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”