Unposted Blood Donation?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

safety1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Unposted Blood Donation?

Post by safety1 »

RPBrown wrote:I always go to the mobile unit at the Dallas gun show. Benighted the Scottish Rite Hospital. I work the SR booth to get people to donate. It will also get you free admission to the show
Nice job brother!!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

n5wmk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by n5wmk »

I went to the Carter Blood center in Allen on Monday, Jan 11. They had a new sign stating "No concealed or open carried handguns allowed." Not valid 30.06 or 30.07 signs, so I carried inside like I've been doing for the past 6+ years.

I'm a regular there, platelets about every 2 weeks for over 20 years at Carter in Plano and Allen. I'm north of 50 gallons now. I will drive by and check tomorrow, and if they have valid signs they will hear from me that I won't be entering again as long as the 30.06 sign is in place. :mad5 :mad5 :mad5
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 9

Post by chasfm11 »

n5wmk wrote:I went to the Carter Blood center in Allen on Monday, Jan 11. They had a new sign stating "No concealed or open carried handguns allowed." Not valid 30.06 or 30.07 signs, so I carried inside like I've been doing for the past 6+ years.

I'm a regular there, platelets about every 2 weeks for over 20 years at Carter in Plano and Allen. I'm north of 50 gallons now. I will drive by and check tomorrow, and if they have valid signs they will hear from me that I won't be entering again as long as the 30.06 sign is in place. :mad5 :mad5 :mad5
The employee told me today that Carter did have "smaller signs" (her words) for a couple of weeks and just recently posted the ones that I saw today. I didn't measure the letter size today but I'm very certain they were 1". There was nothing else wrong with them and I added the item to texas3006.

I'm still looking for input on where I can donate to an unposted organization. I'll drive. I'm O positive and they have always been anxious to get me a chair before. I'm planning to write a letter to the corporate location and ask them to reconsider. If enough of us do the same, perhaps there is hope of getting the 3006 sign down.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

OP, to answer your original question, I'm not aware of any place in the north Dallas for blood donations other than Carter that is not posted.

I went by the Carter Blood Care facility on McDermott in Allen this morning, and yes they do have valid 30.06 and 30.07 signs posted.

I will make calls on Monday cancelling my upcoming donation appointment, and to let them know that I will not be entering their facility in the future while the 30.06 signs are up, and will follow that by a courteous and hopefully informative letter to their management.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

n5wmk wrote:OP, to answer your original question, I'm not aware of any place in the north Dallas for blood donations other than Carter that is not posted.

I went by the Carter Blood Care facility on McDermott in Allen this morning, and yes they do have valid 30.06 and 30.07 signs posted.

I will make calls on Monday cancelling my upcoming donation appointment, and to let them know that I will not be entering their facility in the future while the 30.06 signs are up, and will follow that by a courteous and hopefully informative letter to their management.
That's my plan, too. I think that we can be courteous but firm. I remember a couple of years ago when New Mexico started to play with Texas reciprocity. The deluge of calls and letters got them to change their mind. I'm hoping that Carter will do the same. Since there are no other viable options at the moment, I'll remain ready to donate if they do.
Dum Spiro, Spero

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

I keep asking if I can give blood, but they won't let me. My family is all in the same boat, we might have Mad Cow disease. There are a lot of x military in that category.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

I was on my way to gallon donor until I caught Hep A in 1994, now I'm banned for life, even though it cured itself.

Now they have a vaccine for it, which BTW I highly recommend if you dine out often... (that's how you get it).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

I would encourage as many as possible to call and complain about this semi new policy. They have always had the policy of not allowing people do donate while carrying, but were woefully misinformed about how to notify CHLers sufficiently. It appears with the implementation of OC that they have now received correct information and have posted correct signage to notify all of their policy.

The problem with choosing another business that allows CC or OC is that this is a very narrow niche and in this area there is only one other business and that is the American Red Cross (ARC). I would rather not do business with them if I could. Do a search for how many times they've been fined by the FDA and for how much and why. They seem to be doing better, but all too often they took the mindset that the laws that pertained to local community blood centers did not apply to them. There is rarely another choice besides a community blood center and the ARC, but sometimes there is a hospital large enough that will collect their own for use in their hospital or their hospital system.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Update - I spoke with the manager at the Allen donor center yesterday (Jan 25) and explained the situation. She understood, and said that her father-in-law has a LTC, and he is upset about the signs. She said that when they came in to open up after their location's standard 2-day closing, they found the signs had been installed by the main office. She would pass the info about my call to the main office.

I then called the Donor Advocacy number in Bedford, and explained the situation and my dissatisfaction. All she could do was listen and take notes, with the promise that she also would pass along the info. I have since generated the following letter:
26 January 2016

Carter Blood Care
Attn: Donor Advocacy
2205 Hwy 121
Bedford, TX 76021
817-412-5370

Greetings –

I am writing this letter to inform you that regretfully I will no longer be donating at Carter Blood Care. If you wish to check your donor records, you will find that I have been donating regularly since 1991 when you were Wadley Blood Center and subsequently Carter Blood Care. I have freely donated more than 50 gallons during this time period, and I had expected to continue donating as long as Carter Blood Care would allow me to.

However, with the recent posting of signs – specifically Texas 30.06 Penal Code prohibiting the licensed carrying of concealed handguns, I will not be entering any Carter Blood Care facility.

Your facilities are posted with both 30.06 and 30.07 signs, with the 30.07 sign prohibiting the licensed open carrying of handguns. With the recent passing of Texas law allowing licensed open carrying of handguns, I do understand that a business owner may not want exposed handguns within their establishment. However, I do hope that you understand that the two laws are separate, and do not have to be connected. That is to say, you may choose to prohibit open carry (30.07) but you may allow concealed carry by removing the 30.06 signs.

Texas made licensed concealed carry legal on September 1, 1995, some 20 years ago. Since that time, you have had no signs prohibiting licensed concealed carry and you have likely had numerous, licensed handguns within your facility. Personally, I became licensed about 6 years ago, and have had a concealed handgun with me every time I have donated at Carter Blood Care since then.

Please understand that Texas’ licenses (formerly CHL – Concealed Handgun License and now LTC – License to Carry) are not easy to attain. Every licensee has to undergo extensive Federal and State background checks. The background checks verify the following regarding the licensee:
• Never been convicted of a felony.
• Never been convicted of a crime of violence.
• Never been convicted of domestic violence.
• Not addicted to or use illegal drugs.
• Are of sound mental condition.

When a facility prohibits the legal carrying of handguns, all it does is remove the legal, licensed handguns. If someone wishes to enter a facility with criminal intent, the signs will be of no deterrence to them. In fact, they would be more likely to enter that “gun-free zone” with the knowledge that no one inside is legally carrying a handgun.

I hope that you will reconsider removing both sets of signs. If someone were to enter your facility with a holstered, openly visible handgun all that is required is that a person with the authority to speak for Carter to give verbal notice that exposed handguns are not allowed. The carrier either must leave and may return without the handgun or face criminal trespassing charges.

If you do not wish to remove both signs, then at least consider removing the 30.06 sign prohibiting concealed carry. If someone enters with a concealed handgun, it will remain concealed, and no one in the facility will notice or become alarmed.

If you wish to contact me for a polite conversation regarding this matter, you may call me at the phone number I have provided.

I do hope that you will consider this matter, as I would like to resume my donations. I understand that it is your right to post the signs, but you should also understand that it is my right to refuse to do business with any facility that has the 30.06 postings, and you have lost me as a (hopefully) valued donor.

Sincerely,

Wayne Kube

Copy to the Allen Donor Center
I will update this thread if I receive anything from Carter.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

n5wmk wrote:Update - I spoke with the manager at the Allen donor center yesterday (Jan 25) and explained the situation. She understood, and said that her father-in-law has a LTC, and he is upset about the signs. She said that when they came in to open up after their location's standard 2-day closing, they found the signs had been installed by the main office. She would pass the info about my call to the main office.

I then called the Donor Advocacy number in Bedford, and explained the situation and my dissatisfaction. All she could do was listen and take notes, with the promise that she also would pass along the info. I have since generated the following letter:
26 January 2016

Carter Blood Care
Attn: Donor Advocacy
2205 Hwy 121
Bedford, TX 76021
817-412-5370

Greetings –

I am writing this letter to inform you that regretfully I will no longer be donating at Carter Blood Care. If you wish to check your donor records, you will find that I have been donating regularly since 1991 when you were Wadley Blood Center and subsequently Carter Blood Care. I have freely donated more than 50 gallons during this time period, and I had expected to continue donating as long as Carter Blood Care would allow me to.

However, with the recent posting of signs – specifically Texas 30.06 Penal Code prohibiting the licensed carrying of concealed handguns, I will not be entering any Carter Blood Care facility.

Your facilities are posted with both 30.06 and 30.07 signs, with the 30.07 sign prohibiting the licensed open carrying of handguns. With the recent passing of Texas law allowing licensed open carrying of handguns, I do understand that a business owner may not want exposed handguns within their establishment. However, I do hope that you understand that the two laws are separate, and do not have to be connected. That is to say, you may choose to prohibit open carry (30.07) but you may allow concealed carry by removing the 30.06 signs.

Texas made licensed concealed carry legal on September 1, 1995, some 20 years ago. Since that time, you have had no signs prohibiting licensed concealed carry and you have likely had numerous, licensed handguns within your facility. Personally, I became licensed about 6 years ago, and have had a concealed handgun with me every time I have donated at Carter Blood Care since then.

Please understand that Texas’ licenses (formerly CHL – Concealed Handgun License and now LTC – License to Carry) are not easy to attain. Every licensee has to undergo extensive Federal and State background checks. The background checks verify the following regarding the licensee:
• Never been convicted of a felony.
• Never been convicted of a crime of violence.
• Never been convicted of domestic violence.
• Not addicted to or use illegal drugs.
• Are of sound mental condition.

When a facility prohibits the legal carrying of handguns, all it does is remove the legal, licensed handguns. If someone wishes to enter a facility with criminal intent, the signs will be of no deterrence to them. In fact, they would be more likely to enter that “gun-free zone” with the knowledge that no one inside is legally carrying a handgun.

I hope that you will reconsider removing both sets of signs. If someone were to enter your facility with a holstered, openly visible handgun all that is required is that a person with the authority to speak for Carter to give verbal notice that exposed handguns are not allowed. The carrier either must leave and may return without the handgun or face criminal trespassing charges.

If you do not wish to remove both signs, then at least consider removing the 30.06 sign prohibiting concealed carry. If someone enters with a concealed handgun, it will remain concealed, and no one in the facility will notice or become alarmed.

If you wish to contact me for a polite conversation regarding this matter, you may call me at the phone number I have provided.

I do hope that you will consider this matter, as I would like to resume my donations. I understand that it is your right to post the signs, but you should also understand that it is my right to refuse to do business with any facility that has the 30.06 postings, and you have lost me as a (hopefully) valued donor.

Sincerely,

Wayne Kube

Copy to the Allen Donor Center
I will update this thread if I receive anything from Carter.
Great letter this is the way we should deal with all businesses 30.06 posted. Thanks for the thoughtful and tactful approach.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

steveincowtown wrote:I have an donation appt. at my usual Carter Blood Care in Fort Worth next week. They weren't posted last go around and I hope they are not next week. Will report back.

If they are posted I won't be donating.

Rosedale/ Fort Worth is now posted 30.06 and 30.07. Won't be going back. Sad for those in need.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

loktite

Post by loktite »

I've been mulling this over for the past few weeks, and I think I'll still donate to Carter, but ONLY mobile blood drives. O- here, kind of feels like a responsibility to donate.
NRA Endowment Member

loktite

Post by loktite »

RPBrown wrote:I always go to the mobile unit at the Dallas gun show. Benighted the Scottish Rite Hospital. I work the SR booth to get people to donate. It will also get you free admission to the show
How often is this available?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I searched the calendars and could find no dates for a gun show in Dallas. I'm anxious to make a blood donation if someone can share a date to do it.
Free admission to the gun show is way better than a t-shirt.
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

chasfm11 wrote:
I searched the calendars and could find no dates for a gun show in Dallas. I'm anxious to make a blood donation if someone can share a date to do it.
Free admission to the gun show is way better than a t-shirt.
Kind of ironic if they setup to collect blood at a gun show after recently posting .06 and .07 signs at all of their fixed sites, isn't it? :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”