My Employer WANTS TO ALLOW Carry........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hazmat
Posts in topic: 10

Re: My Employer WANTS TO ALLOW Carry........

Post by hazmat »

Jusme wrote:Just my two cents but why, if your employer wants to allow open carry by visitors, would he then want to verify their LTC? There is no penalty for a private business to allow open carry and they are under no legal obligation to verify the legality of the practice.

It's a good question. Honestly,we have some very anti-gun employees in our offices and we are trying our best to sooth their exaggerated concerns.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

Topic author
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

cbunt1 wrote:
hazmat wrote:

Thank you. This mirrors what i've come up with so far.

Yes, we have many customers in the chemical, petro-chemical and refining business. Our employee handbook would address this, something to the effect "although an employee who is LTC may do so in company owned vehicles, it is the employees responsibility to not violate a customers policies in regards to weapons on their property. It will be the employees responsibility to secure his or her weapon in a maner that onlyhe or she has access to it, prior to traveling to a customer facility".....something like that.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie
I really think the concerns, with few exceptions, are more policy-oriented than actual breach of law. From a practical aspect, It'd come down to where I'm picking up and delivering than anything. The inbound inspection/search process at some Dow Chemical plants was actually more invasive than the search process I've been through making deliveries to prisons.

My dog was always allowed at the prisons as long as she stayed in the truck...Dow Chemical wanted her to stay at the guard shack. Fortunately, she was a people-lover, and it was usually a treat for her when she got to hang with new folks.

I can remember some locations providing me a lockbox/safe-deposit box for "contraband" items, but I really can't remember which ones. In those situations, I would be handed a lockbox, and allowed to fill it, lock it, and store it in their vault...this was for all sorts of things that might not be allowed on a plant (certain tools, flares, certain flammables, etc.) but I'm talking about explosives plants and facilities here.

One non-trucking company I worked for had a simple weapons policy to the effect of "No weapons are allowed except as specifically authorized by local, state or federal law.) I always thought that was a good approach...it states an intent, without violating any legal exceptions. I always took it to mean "The only people who can carry weapons here already know who you are."

It sounds like we've been in and out of some of the same facilities. I like and appreciate your responses, you seem like a very down-to-earth individual with great common sense..... all of which isn't so common now days. I like that weapons policy to.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:Just my two cents but why, if your employer wants to allow open carry by visitors, would he then want to verify their LTC? There is no penalty for a private business to allow open carry and they are under no legal obligation to verify the legality of the practice.
My suggestion would be to add a statement to the employee manual that says the company will follow the law.
Do not post any signs at all. If some employees are nervous and object let them work at another company. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

hazmat wrote:

It's a good question. Honestly,we have some very anti-gun employees in our offices and we are trying our best to sooth their exaggerated concerns.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

Help them sign up to this forum!! Seriously though, I can't believe that they would think someone would want to draw unnecessary attention to themselves if they weren't an LTC holder, and if someone carries concealed (licensed or not) no one would know anyway.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

WildBill wrote:
My suggestion would be to add a statement to the employee manual that says the company will follow the law.
Do not post any signs at all. If some employees are nervous and object let them work at another company. :rules:

Thank you. I am going to present this as an option. I do like the simple approach. Why complicate things.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

Topic author
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Jusme wrote:
hazmat wrote:

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

Help them sign up to this forum!! Seriously though, I can't believe that they would think someone would want to draw unnecessary attention to themselves if they weren't an LTC holder, and if someone carries concealed (licensed or not) no one would know anyway.

This is exactly why i am doing everything i can to educate them or at least show them a different perspective. Knowledge is key, perception is just ignorance.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Have TAM stop by and talk to them he posted a great piece about his trip to the eye doctor's office. :clapping:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

baldeagle wrote:
hazmat wrote:Yes, we have many customers in the chemical, petro-chemical and refining business. Our employee handbook would address this, something to the effect "although an employee who is LTC may do so in company owned vehicles, it is the employees responsibility to not violate a customers policies in regards to weapons on their property. It will be the employees responsibility to secure his or her weapon in a maner that onlyhe or she has access to it, prior to traveling to a customer facility".....something like that.

Semper Fi!
-Mikie
You need to be aware that the chemical (and I believe petro-chemical as well) businesses are exempt from the parking lot laws, so you couldn't even lock a gun in a safe in the company vehicle when visiting them. I would spend some time reading the laws and make absolutely sure that you will be acting lawfully while conducting your business.
BE, they are not exempt from the law, they still must follow it. There is an exemption from the parking lot law under certain circumstances and most parking areas for visitors doesn't have the exemption, read the exemption and follow it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”