What happens if you're carrying and the president pops in?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What happens if you're carrying and the president pops i

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:I'd be super peeved if I had stood in line for 3 hours with a bunch of hipsters only to be removed from the premises so a politician I can't stand can cut to the front of the line.

My understanding is that his order was around $600. He could have called than in and avoided the line!
There's your first mistake. Ain't nothing worth that type of wait unless it's a free gun or ammo!! :biggrinjester:
Amen!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott Farkus »

Keith B wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:I'd be super peeved if I had stood in line for 3 hours with a bunch of hipsters only to be removed from the premises so a politician I can't stand can cut to the front of the line.

My understanding is that his order was around $600. He could have called than in and avoided the line!
There's your first mistake. Ain't nothing worth that type of wait unless it's a free gun or ammo!! :biggrinjester:
I hear you but in fairness, it is really, really good barbecue. Probably the best I've ever had.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Scott Farkus wrote:
I hear you but in fairness, it is really, really good barbecue. Probably the best I've ever had.
I have had better. You must not get around much. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:seems how obummer has no concept of the constitution I would say heck no and i'd be leaving.
I seriously doubt that this SS policy is unique to the Obama administration. If you're talking about a general protest, I get it.

My guess is that they're pre-screening, you'd be given an opportunity to secure it or be asked to leave. A quick google search turns of a variety of policies dealing with less high ranking US officials and the Secret Service.

I don't know how offended I'd be by being asked to put it away or leave.. That's much less invasive than shutting down the roads that the president travels on. Or the No-fly zone that was present over airports surrounding austin...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cb1000rider wrote:
Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:seems how obummer has no concept of the constitution I would say heck no and i'd be leaving.
I seriously doubt that this SS policy is unique to the Obama administration. If you're talking about a general protest, I get it.

My guess is that they're pre-screening, you'd be given an opportunity to secure it or be asked to leave. A quick google search turns of a variety of policies dealing with less high ranking US officials and the Secret Service.

I don't know how offended I'd be by being asked to put it away or leave.. That's much less invasive than shutting down the roads that the president travels on. Or the No-fly zone that was present over airports surrounding austin...
I'd be happy to leave. The BBQ hasn't been cooked that is worth the heartburn that a combination of Obama and SS thugs would give me.

As soon as they walk in and announce what they're there for, I stand up and say, "may I leave right now? I don't need this hassle." I'm totally happy to let the lawyers sort it out later if they stop me from leaving without cause.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'd be happy to leave.
I think this is absolutely the right answer. If the POTUS showed up at somewhere where I was and I had anything unlawful on me, I'd just leave. They don't have reasonable suspicion to detain me or search me if I'm trying to leave.

If I was legally carrying, I would assume I would either be asked to leave or the SS would secure my firearm until after he left. If I felt uncomfortable with them taking my gun out of my sight, I would leave.

Whatever your opinions of Obama, it's not every day you get to meet the current POTUS, so I would probably allow them to disarm me for the opportunity. After all, when he's there, it's probably the safest place in the US.

:coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :bigear: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

:patriot:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"so I would probably allow them to disarm me" - uh huh...and if you resisted you can be sure it would be face meet floor...

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

That still happens. I know, I've been caught in it when he was in Houston on a fundraiser, shut the whole downtown down.

I can actually understand why they would want to search people there, if I have the option of not being there. :tiphat:

HOWEVER...i'd bet good money the won't let you leave, under the guise you might be alerting someone. But I'm talking out of my butt and thankfully have no experience at all.

Having worked at Sams when former Bush Sr. appeared twice they never did any of that nonsense. He just sort of...appeared with a bunch of people.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Almost twenty years ago I was participating in a professional conference at the Opreyland in Nashville. Clinton and Gore were also there for some fundraiser. The morning of my presentation, I got up about 6:30 a.m. and was walking into that massive hotel through one of the main entrances, trying to find my way to the conf. room (actually, to the free doughnuts).

I didn't encounter any secret service, but I did encounter a Nashville policeman who was both suspicious and excitable. In the end, I had to basically prove that I was a Mississippi State faculty member and was scheduled to be on the conference program that morning. They did not frisk me, nor was I armed. But I would not have wanted to deal with the extra hype and scrutiny of being armed.

So if your scenario happened to me in some restaurant, I would probably stay seated and not draw attention.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Having worked at Sams when former Bush Sr. appeared twice they never did any of that nonsense. He just sort of...appeared with a bunch of people.
Former and sitting presidents have a major difference in the level of security and zoning they do. The detail for a former president is just there to make sure no one rushes him. I recently played bass for an event where W. was speaking. I did not carry since it was at the Anatole hotel that is properly posted 30.06. However, none of the musicians or even the attendees were searched or even ran through metal detectors.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I recall reading something a few years back (still with BHO as President), a group of open carry "protesters" carried rifles on slings around one of his stops. I want to say it was NOT in Texas... and in more of a western, more commonly open-carry long gun state. I don't think they protesters were given any different treatment than others, but I believe there was extra security all around them.
NRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It's good to be king.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

**SNIP**
mr1337 wrote: Whatever your opinions of Obama, it's not every day you get to meet the current POTUS, so I would probably allow them to disarm me for the opportunity.
Im very sorry you feel this way. My condolences. :roll:

:mrgreen:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Jim Beaux wrote:**SNIP**
mr1337 wrote: Whatever your opinions of Obama, it's not every day you get to meet the current POTUS, so I would probably allow them to disarm me for the opportunity.
Im very sorry you feel this way. My condolences. :roll:

:mrgreen:

I respect the office but not the man. I wouldn't care to meet him and I sure wouldn't like his SS detail searching me.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

RSJ wrote:I recall reading something a few years back (still with BHO as President), a group of open carry "protesters" carried rifles on slings around one of his stops. I want to say it was NOT in Texas... and in more of a western, more commonly open-carry long gun state. I don't think they protesters were given any different treatment than others, but I believe there was extra security all around them.

Arizona. OCT hadn't reached that level of stupidity in 2009.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32457652/ns/p ... 8BNQkCa-jE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”