30.06 at Gun Shows

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dirthawking
Posts in topic: 8

Re: 30.06 at Gun Shows

Post by Dirthawking »

Last time I went to this show I asked about the sign. It is NOT the city posting it. It is the promoters of the gun show posting it. Reason behind it is because to many people pulling out their concealled hand gun to try out holsters. Several accidental discharges have happened in the past.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 24

Post by nightmare69 »

Dirthawking wrote:Last time I went to this show I asked about the sign. It is NOT the city posting it. It is the promoters of the gun show posting it. Reason behind it is because to many people pulling out their concealled hand gun to try out holsters. Several accidental discharges have happened in the past.
That does not matter though, according to Texas law they cannot stop me from carrying my concealed handgun. All they could do is ask me to leave if I happened to expose my weapon.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

nightmare69 wrote:
Dirthawking wrote:Last time I went to this show I asked about the sign. It is NOT the city posting it. It is the promoters of the gun show posting it. Reason behind it is because to many people pulling out their concealled hand gun to try out holsters. Several accidental discharges have happened in the past.
That does not matter though, according to Texas law they cannot stop me from carrying my concealed handgun. All they could do is ask me to leave if I happened to expose my weapon.

Actually they can. They are posting 30.06. Valid sign. The city is not posting it. They (promoters) are renting the space from the city. City could care less if you carry there. BIG grey area.

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

If the city owns the property, it doesn't matter who leases / rents it. It is city owned property, and the law says the sign is not enforceable.

Now, if you're at a gun show and carrying concealed, and then take your concealed firearm out to try on a holster, you are in public, and that is an intentional failure to conceal. CHLers need to understand that the concealed gun is to remain concealed in public, even among "our people".

A few examples being made of the intentional failure to conceal might solve the whole problem.

As often stated, a plain reading of the law says that the sign is not legally enforceable, but the promoters and their off-duty police officers definitely think it is. Proceed at your own risk.
Native Texian

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I sent them a email with Texas state law showing them that they can post it but it hold no legal weight. We will see if I get a response.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Gotta play devils advocate here....

I know where it says in the law that a CITY can not claim 30.06, but where does it say somebody leasing/renting land/building from a city can not post?

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

Dirthawking wrote:Gotta play devils advocate here....

I know where it says in the law that a CITY can not claim 30.06, but where does it say somebody leasing/renting land/building from a city can not post?

TPC 30.06(e) specifically says:
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
The law says "owned or leased by a governmental entity" there is nothing that says except when it is leased/rented to somebody. the strict interpretation is that once it is owned or leased by a governmental body it is unpostable (unless prohibited under 46.03 or 46.035) until the city no longer owns or leases it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2firfun50 »

fickman wrote:If the city owns the property, it doesn't matter who leases / rents it. It is city owned property, and the law says the sign is not enforceable.

Now, if you're at a gun show and carrying concealed, and then take your concealed firearm out to try on a holster, you are in public, and that is an intentional failure to conceal. CHLers need to understand that the concealed gun is to remain concealed in public, even among "our people".

A few examples being made of the intentional failure to conceal might solve the whole problem.
As often stated, a plain reading of the law says that the sign is not legally enforceable, but the promoters and their off-duty police officers definitely think it is. Proceed at your own risk.
I like that. The sign issue would never come up.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

2firfun50 wrote:
fickman wrote:If the city owns the property, it doesn't matter who leases / rents it. It is city owned property, and the law says the sign is not enforceable.

I like that. The sign issue would never come up.
Problem is that it does. You would think after 10yrs this would not be a issue.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RogueUSMC »

I just spoke with the officer at the door ...he said they are enforcing it and that it is valid because it is a private entity leasing it. He said it is not city property when it is leased.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

RogueUSMC wrote:I just spoke with the officer at the door ...he said they are enforcing it and that it is valid because it is a private entity leasing it. He said it is not city property when it is leased.
And since when are officers known for knowing the law? No offense to the LEOs on the board, but even most of them have said that cops typically don't know the law.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RogueUSMC »

He told me I was welcome to bring it in unloaded...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

We were told no ammo and no magazines.

Panda
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Panda »

Whether the gun is unloaded has no relevance in the CHL law or 30.06 signs. If they would let you unload and carry inside, they are enforcing house rules, not Texas law.

I would make sure to get their name and department and send a paper letter to TCLEOSE informing them a person in a Texas Peace Officer uniform was enforcing house rules.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Wasn't just one officer. I counted four FW officers at front door, another four at side door, two in lobby, and several walking around each room. As well as several vendors asked if my firearm was unloaded with no magazine. But then again there was one vendor there selling switchblade knives and I overheard him tell one person they were legal to carry in Texas. A ton of people must have heard him tell that to plenty of people because not five minutes later they came over the loud speaker warning people that at this time switch blade knives are not legal and to please remove them from vending hall if you have one.....

Long story short, legal seems to be in the eye of the beholder.......

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”