Types of ammo?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ldparr21
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Types of ammo?

Post by ldparr21 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:In the house Shotgun, 12 ga. No. 4s followed by 00Buck, extended mag with extras of each in side saddle

5.56 Carbine: Hornady TAP .223 and/or M193 ball

357 Carbine: .357 JHP or Semi Jacketed HP (Not a tier 1 choice perhaps, but quite capable given time to load it)

Rifle: .30-06 of whatever variety (Hard to consider using this in a "Defensive" role, though, with other options mentioned available)

EDC: 9MM Gold Dot 124gr +P

Deep Conceal: .380 Hornady Critical Defense
Hk usp .45 jhp downstairs remington 870 00 buck upstairs, xdsc .40 (carry) i keep my ar, mossberg 20 and 30-30 unloaded bad idea in home defense. Especially my ar a m193 is one hell of a penetrator but all i got is the m855 steel core and alot of it
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.--Edmund Burke

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

I trust the rounds that go bang when you pull the trigger.
The first two rounds out of my G23 are JHP'S, the third is a FMJ. This sequence continues through the full capacity of the magazine.
My thought process being if the BG has heavy clothing on the JHPs might not penetrate so I get penetration with the third shot if needed.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jmra wrote:I trust the rounds that go bang when you pull the trigger.
The first two rounds out of my G23 are JHP'S, the third is a FMJ. This sequence continues through the full capacity of the magazine.
My thought process being if the BG has heavy clothing on the JHPs might not penetrate so I get penetration with the third shot if needed.

Poor logic or lack of good information. Gold dots will penetrate any clothing and expand well.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Beiruty wrote:
jmra wrote:I trust the rounds that go bang when you pull the trigger.

Poor logic or lack of good information. Gold dots will penetrate any clothing and expand well.
My understanding is that those results have not been consistent in real world application. I do carry one of the highest rated self defense rounds on the market but I also hedge my bets. Poor logic IYHO, right? ;-)
Last edited by jmra on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by olafpfj »

45: 230gr +p Rangers
9mm: 115gr Critical Defense
38spl: Critical Defense
5.56: 55gr m855 FMJ
12ga: 00 3" magnum (not for inside home defense)
30-06: 152gr hornady a-max handload for M1 Garand

The M1 isn't really home defense, it's more like neighborhood defense :biggrinjester:
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Topic author
ldparr21
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ldparr21 »

I never understood that a ft of penetration seems a little extreme
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.--Edmund Burke

TheDude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TheDude »

ldparr21 wrote:I never understood that a ft of penetration seems a little extreme
It's so you hopefully reach vital organs or CNS no matter what angle you hit them from. 12" is bare minimum.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”