Carryng a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rex B
Posts in topic: 5

SKS

Post by Rex B »

Sounds like a good use for my SKS.
Or an old Marlin levergun. Might be a bit less intimidating to the casual observer.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Re: SKS

Post by txinvestigator »

Rex B wrote:Sounds like a good use for my SKS.
Or an old Marlin levergun. Might be a bit less intimidating to the casual observer.
An AK clone would be perfect for car carry. Cheap, easy to shoot and replace; however, I shy away from the "appearance" that gun has for the sheeple.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Rex B

appearance

Post by Rex B »

I agree, a black rifle or AK might not be a good thing to carry when there is a crisis situation and people are on edge. A levergun is probably the best rifle for such social situations, with an SKS or M1/mini14 bolt rifle etc somewhere in the middle. But I don't want to leave my mint 94 in the trunk, but I don't mind the $99 SKS getting a little scuffed.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockamolie »

I have a Maverick 88 18" 12ga that I bought 15 years ago when I was poor. Wait, I still am! Anyway, it's probably worth all of $50, so I just loaded it with buckshot and put a box of buckshot and a box of slugs in the trunk. The car is locked in the garage at home, and I park in a controlled-access lot at work. That, and my car is nothing special, so I don't see anyone breaking in and/or stealing the car.
- Brandon

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Pawn shops are ripe with cheap home defense/tactical shotguns that would make great truck/trunk guns. Never pay sticker, always offer what you think they will not take. I have a 100 buck shotgun in a soft case in the truck right now that stays out of sight under tha back seat.

Lots of lever guns out there too.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

I concur, I'm alllll about the pawn shops. They have LayAway, too!!
just gotta check'em out, first, of course.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I like shotguns; however, for a car gun if I am going to carry a long gun I prefer a rifle. I get better precision aiming, higher ammo capacity and the ability to defeat body armor.

Maybe I should carry both. :thumbsup:
*CHL Instructor*

Rex B

And grenade launcher

Post by Rex B »

Don't forget "Grenade Launcher".

For those tricky hostage situations :roll:
-----------

txinvestigator

Re: And grenade launcher

Post by txinvestigator »

Rex B wrote:Don't forget "Grenade Launcher".

For those tricky hostage situations :roll:
I'm afraid I don't understand your sarcasm with the rollyeye. Is it your opinion that my reasons are not realistic?
*CHL Instructor*

Rex B

an exception.

Post by Rex B »

That wasn't meant for you specifically.
In your case they probably are realistic.
For most of us civilians a true tactical situation isn't likely.

But I do agree with your choice.
And my SKS has (had) a grenade launcher.
Last edited by Rex B on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

txinvestigator wrote:I like shotguns; however, for a car gun if I am going to carry a long gun I prefer a rifle. I get better precision aiming, higher ammo capacity and the ability to defeat body armor.

I agree that is the reason I carry the Mini 14 about 98% of the time on road trips.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

carlson1 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:I like shotguns; however, for a car gun if I am going to carry a long gun I prefer a rifle. I get better precision aiming, higher ammo capacity and the ability to defeat body armor.

I agree that is the reason I carry the Mini 14 about 98% of the time on road trips.
I agree as well...Road trips are usually the norm for me in having a rifle (carbine) "unfurled", in the back seat...Anyone riding "shotgun"...well...ya know that drill...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

All things considered, I completely understand choosing a rifle over a shotty for vehicle carry. But, I already had an extra shotty, and I can put slugs where I want them out as far as I think I'd need to in a social situation. And anywhere from 30-40 yards or less, I have more faith in the 12 ga. slug than I do a .223 or 7.62x39, which is likely what a vehicle carry rifle would be chambered if I were to buy one.
- Brandon

KRM45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KRM45 »

I've really been considering a levergun chambered in .357 mag. You can gat a pretty compact rifle with a 10 round capacity for a faily good price. The one major drawback is what if you need more than 10 rounds :shock:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Why not bring both?

Then you are ready for pretty much anything.

I do bring a mini along sometimes as well. I do like the shotguns, though. A black shotgun with appropriate accessories has a phsycological value as well.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”