Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

Post by HankB »

Russell wrote:Shoot yourself enough holes in the right place for plausible deniability, then mess with the people in the lanes next to you by shooting their targets :smilelol5:
GlockFan wrote:I think the guy in the lane next to me was doing that ....just not on purpose :lol:
Same here, the first time I went . . . the woman next to me still passed, even though she missed her paper entirely 6 or 8 times. :shock:

We got to keep our targets if we wanted . . . sorry to say I let a few shots stray into the 9-ring at 15 yards on my 2nd renewal, thanks to the lighting. (Black sights on a black target didn't show up too well, and the ragged hole in the center from 3 & 7 yards wasn't big enough to give good contrast for a sight picture.)

Yeah, yeah, I know . . . excuses excuses. :lol:

So the shooting test is easy . . . and I'm sure that someone who simply skims the handbook could pass the written test, probably with a pretty good score, too. (Assuming more than a room-temperature IQ.)

I'm a little surprised that nobody in all these years has posted test questions somewhere on the Internet . . . unless it's just that my Google-Fu isn't quite up to par.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

Liberty wrote:
dicion wrote: We were both firing 1911's.... everyone else had some version of BT it seemed :lol:

Coincidence? :leaving
Whats a BT?

... Ballistic Tupperware "rlol"
eg, polymer handguns, specifically Glocks :fire
(At Least I don't have LT's complete aversion to even saying the 'G Word' :smilelol5:)

It was a thinly veiled attempt at jokingly toting the 1911 as a more accurate performer... :coolgleamA:
either that, or perhaps they are just more popular among more practiced handgun owners, and not newbies (which most of my class was)

RiveraRa

Post by RiveraRa »

Think about this....

Your in a real self defense situation. Would you rather put all your rounds through the same hole (which would cause minimal damage)? Id rather give that guy as many holes in his body as I can. More damage that way. I shot my test the same way. Keeping them all within the 8,9,and 10 ring but spreading them throughout and not putting them in the same hole (not that Im THAT good anyways) :lol:
01/10/2009 - CHL class
06/16/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/18/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/25/2009 - Money Order Cashed
07/15/2009 - PIN Received
09/02/2009 - Application Completed
09/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand
Current Status: License in hand!

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

Your in a real self defense situation.
now if your attacker will just hold still while you empty your mag , perfect score

i dont want to take that target home :ack:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

RiveraRa

Post by RiveraRa »

usa1 wrote:Your in a real self defense situation.
now if your attacker will just hold still while you empty your mag , perfect score

i dont want to take that target home :ack:
Your target held still in class? Mine kept getting blown around by the wind :lol:
And while you might not want to take the real life target home, maybe you can just mount the head on the wall next to your prized buck. I kid, I kid! :lol:

Reminds me of this joke:
Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you.
You are carrying a Glock in cal. 45 ACP, and you are an quality shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

THINK CAREFULLY:
Democrat's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Texan's Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click. Reload.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy!
Son: "Can I shoot the next one? Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Golden Sabers?"
Wife: "You ain't takin' that to the Taxidermist!
"rlol"
01/10/2009 - CHL class
06/16/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/18/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/25/2009 - Money Order Cashed
07/15/2009 - PIN Received
09/02/2009 - Application Completed
09/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand
Current Status: License in hand!

USA1

Post by USA1 »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
I'm proud to be a Texan ! :txflag:
we just have more smarts than the rest of the country :tiphat:
:cheers2:

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

WildBill wrote:Don't forget about the part where you have to field strip, clean and reassemble your handgun. Blindfolded. :biggrinjester:
Only one gun? We were given a jumble of parts that belonged to 3 guns and had 90 seconds to reassemble the parts into the three guns while blindfolded.

That Crossfire is one tough instructor.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 9

Post by joe817 »

usa1 wrote:"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
I'm proud to be a Texan ! :txflag:
we just have more smarts than the rest of the country :tiphat:
Me too usa1, me too. I sincerely believe that Texans have a different mindset than those living in other states. I've always felt that. All my life. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:
My Dear fellow CHLers !
Like wildbill... The harderst part of the testing was doing the field stripping and reassembly ..BLINDFOLDED. BUT..
The shooting portion was easy for me. Instead of firing 50 rds; They allowed me to throw two (2) each Hand grenades ....needless
to say, my pattern was good, and I got a passing score !
Seriouly though, I used my long slide 5" XD .45, it patterns tighter than my 3.6 CW .40, all fifty rounds where no larger than my fist and all in the black.
Enjoy the Class, You will have fun !!!
Mac :fire .45 >>>>>> (+:+)
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

wford

Post by wford »

I saw you were in Arlington and was curious to where you were going for your class ? It also looks like others have addressed most of your questions. It is a long day and hopefully your instructor will have cool stories to tell. :)
joe817 wrote:As I have time to obsess about taking the CHL class, and studying, and going to the gun range, several questions pop up in my little pea brain:

1. What happens to the qualifying target we use on the proficiency test? Can we keep it, and frame it? :lol: Or does the instructor hang on to it?
2. In a related question, if our accuracy is so good as to punch paper to the extent the instructor cannot definitely discern 2 holes from 3 or 4 in the same small area, what happens to the scoring? Am I penalized? I assume she/he has to count 50 separate paper punches for scoring purposes.
3. How many questions are on the written portion of the test? And are they all multiple choice, fill in the blanks or essay?
4. As this is an all day affair(for all practical purposes), do you have classroom instructions first thing, break for lunch, meet up at the gun range, do the profiency test, then come back to the classroom, then the instructor grades the 2 tests(classroom & profiency), or what?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect....and prepare for.

gemini

Post by gemini »

BT= Black Tupperware

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

wford wrote:I saw you were in Arlington and was curious to where you were going for your class ? It also looks like others have addressed most of your questions. It is a long day and hopefully your instructor will have cool stories to tell. :)
I'm taking it from these folks as they have a class in Arlington on July 18 down in Highland Village, near the Parks. They do the proficiency test at the Winchester Gallery range.

http://safegunacademy.com/classDatesNew.shtml#jul18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Care to join me....if you can wait that long? :cheers2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

garcia946
Posts in topic: 3

Post by garcia946 »

joe817 wrote:As I have time to obsess about taking the CHL class, and studying, and going to the gun range, several questions pop up in my little pea brain:

1. What happens to the qualifying target we use on the proficiency test? Can we keep it, and frame it? :lol: Or does the instructor hang on to it?
2. In a related question, if our accuracy is so good as to punch paper to the extent the instructor cannot definitely discern 2 holes from 3 or 4 in the same small area, what happens to the scoring? Am I penalized? I assume she/he has to count 50 separate paper punches for scoring purposes.
3. How many questions are on the written portion of the test? And are they all multiple choice, fill in the blanks or essay?
4. As this is an all day affair(for all practical purposes), do you have classroom instructions first thing, break for lunch, meet up at the gun range, do the profiency test, then come back to the classroom, then the instructor grades the 2 tests(classroom & profiency), or what?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect....and prepare for.

#1 You can keep it if you like after scoring
#2 Anything in the 8 ring is count as 5 in the 7 Ring is 4 and down so on. Yes , we can tell a double hit hole , your not pentlized.If you dont git it the first try , you have a total of 3 attemps so bring pleny of ammo , but you need the min of 50rd
#3 Test is 50 questions , multiple choice with some true and false questions.
#4 Yes it is 10hr and the instructor can set it up how they want , profiency first , then classroom or vice versa , each has their own way on doing it.

Its pretty easy , everything is. Granted as a student wanting your CHL the longest part is sitting through the 10hr course.
As long as the Instructor keeps it fresh , funny , not boring you`ll have fun. At least that`s what I`ll be doing.
Last edited by garcia946 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

USA1

Post by USA1 »

joe817 wrote:They do the proficiency test at the Winchester Gallery range.
thank goodness for indoor ranges...this heat is would make outdoor shooting very unpleasant . :nono:
my proficiency test was outside , but that was back in early April ... ;-)
good luck to you . im sure you'll do well on both portions :tiphat:

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

garcia, thanks for the words. I'm really looking forward to it, and it can't come quick enough. :lol:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”