How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

Ok, I can finally add my data to the poll.

From initial application to license in hand 101 days.

Total from application being sent back due to error is 60 days. So 60 days will be my official answer for the poll.

dolanp
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dolanp »

Mine finally came in today! It was 76 days complete turnaround, but 61 days between the time they cashed my money order and the time they issued the license. So 61 days is the fair number.

As a bonus my license won't expire for almost 5 years since they issued it just after my birthday. The timing was very good actually. 8)
Springfield XD 9mm Service

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 7

Opps, posted a new thread on this issue...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Muh bad...

My renewal took 17 days mailbox to mailbox, the last time I renewed...

I didn't call to ask for a "status", I only asked if they got it in the mail a few days later...Not enough time (I thought) to even think to do that I suppose...
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Wed May 18, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

isa268
Posts in topic: 6

Post by isa268 »

it will probably be 100 days when i finaly get my CHL. i just checked the web site and it says "incomplete, returning with detailed letter". Darn it and i went over that app with a fine tooth comb. i'm really irritated now.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

isa238:
Let us know what was incomplete about your paperwork, if anything. I'm not trying to be nosy, just collecting as much real world information as possible for 2007.

Thanks,
Chas.

isa268

Post by isa268 »

no problem even thought they said they are sending a letter, i shoot them an email today hopeing i can get an answer sooner.

will post wheni know more.

isa268

Post by isa268 »

got the letter today from DPS. Apparently I left a gap in my residency, and didn't go back 5 years. fixed it and mailing it off today hopefully this won't add to many days to my processing.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I am an instructor and work at a gun range where we do about 20 initials and 20 renewals a week, on average.

I can tell you that from MY observation there are 2 consistent things getting apps kicked back.

1) Fingerprints. We use 2 ID techs from the Dallas County Sheriffs Department who actually work the jail and do prints for a living. Seldom do bad prints come back to us; however, if the printer or applicant failed to sign the card, it comes back.

2) photos The back of the photo not taped to the photo card MUST be signed by the person taking the photo AND the applicant. Once in a while, if the other photo is not signed it will get kicked. (temp employee?)

Other than that it is usually an ommission on the applicants part, or a county not getting info to DPS in a timely fashion.

I am not opposed to your efforts to get DPS in compliance with the 60 day rule. Just my observations for you.

Trainman
Posts in topic: 4

A watched mailbox.......

Post by Trainman »

As of today it has been 36 days for us. GF had to redo her fingerprints. Trooper at the local DPS office took care of that and it is back in Austin. The web site has the same old "Processing Application" constantly posted. I wonder if it is an accurate status or only a pacifier put there to prevent callers.

I'm like the kid checking the mailbox each day.

gigag04

Re: A watched mailbox.......

Post by gigag04 »

Trainman wrote:The web site has the same old "Processing Application" constantly posted. I wonder if it is an accurate status or only a pacifier put there to prevent callers.
Once they are finished it will switch to say "Lincense activated" and some other important sounding stuff, which means they mailed it out. Once mine switched it took a day to get there. Seems like forever, but hang in there!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Trainman

Progress is good- When I am the 'Progressee'

Post by Trainman »

This evening the web site changed from "Processing Application" to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". So I guess it should just now be "in the mail" to me.
The end of today makes 47 "working days" since they received it.

I'll "yell" out my post here when I have it in my hands. ':D'

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

FWIW, mine took 4 days to get to my mail box after I saw that message.

Jeffry6789

87 DAYS

Post by Jeffry6789 »

Mine took 87 Days day from the day they received my application, untill the day I received it in the mail.

There was nothing wrong with my application, all was in order. I've saved all my corrospondence with the CHL office in Austin.

Oh well at least now I'm finally a 1st class citizen. :wink:
"Rule # 1 of a gunfight--have a gun."
"Rule # 2--never break Rule # 1."

"Ted Kennedy's car's killed more people than my gun."

anygunanywhere

Great

Post by anygunanywhere »

Congratulations!

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Carry 24/7. It is difficult to hold while lathering up in the shower, though.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jim101
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jim101 »

I am new to this forum and it does look like an interesting place for informaiton.
Now, I sent in my CHL on 4/11/05 and was wondering, when you count days is it just work days you are talking about? I also check the CHL site every day and that has not changed....I don't have a common name so that shouldn't be a hang up....

Thanks,
Jim

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”