Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: walmart asking for chl

Post by JP171 »

jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Judging from some of the acrimonious and sometimes combative posts of late, I would not mind if every OC got asked to show his/her license. You never know otherwise, eh?
my answer is no you can't see it, if I have to leave so be it but your not seeing anything you don't have a legal right or requirement to see so (explative)
You sir, are why there's an increased number of 30.06 signs appearing. :banghead:
Why can't you just be happy you can now open carry? :headscratch
to OG and yourself, I don't open carry at all, however if they ask to see my license because they may think I have a weapon I have the right to tell them no, they can certainly tell me I can't go into the store, fine, I will leave but a private citizen demanding my papers is going to be dealt with the same as anyone violating my rights period

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MeMelYup »

mojo84 wrote:
winters wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I guess they could say if you don't show it to them, you have to leave. In my opinion better than posting 30.07. Also another reason why I probably won't OC at WalMart. They don't have any right to "demand" it from you, but you don't have a "right" to be in their store either.
Your "right" or privilege comes with conditions in this instance. They do not have to allow you in their store. If you refuse to show your chl to confirm you have one, they can terminate your "tight" or privilege to be there. They have a vested interest in confirming you have a chl if you are going to open carry.

This still has nothing to do with cops stopping people on the street.
I will play the villain here. Why does WalMart have the right to ask if a person has a LTC? They have invited the general public into their store to sell them stuff and make a profit. That does not give them the right to ask for personnel information unless I am doing something that requires that information or something illegal. Unless I am doing something that requires personal information or comiting a crime, they have no reason to stop me or ask for personal info. Does the police have the right to stop a person for no reason and ask for ID?

I can see being polite and showing a LIC when asked. That does not give them the right to ask. What happens if a person doesn't have a LTC, are they to call the police?

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
winters wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I guess they could say if you don't show it to them, you have to leave. In my opinion better than posting 30.07. Also another reason why I probably won't OC at WalMart. They don't have any right to "demand" it from you, but you don't have a "right" to be in their store either.
Your "right" or privilege comes with conditions in this instance. They do not have to allow you in their store. If you refuse to show your chl to confirm you have one, they can terminate your "tight" or privilege to be there. They have a vested interest in confirming you have a chl if you are going to open carry.

I will play the villain here. Why does WalMart have the right to ask if a person has a LTC? They have invited the general public into their store to sell them stuff and make a profit. That does not give them the right to ask for personnel information unless I am doing something that requires that information or something illegal. Unless I am doing something that requires personal information or comiting a crime, they have no reason to stop me or ask for personal info. Does the police have the right to stop a person for no reason and ask for ID?
Big difference from LEOs to employees of a private entity. I'll give you a true story.

I work for a private university as a LEO. We had a student pull a firearm and threaten another student over a parking spot. After I arrested the student for deadly conduct the director of students came over to ask some questions. My arrestee stated that other students in his sorority house had items just as drugs and weapons. I as a LEO have to get a warrant in order to search the house even though the house and property were owned by the university because they have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" in the house.

I was not going to risk asking for consent to search and they refuse then clean house before I get my warrant. So the director and the university attorney got together that evening searched the house. They did not ask the students for permission they just did it. I could not search without a warrant but they could.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

rotor wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
Lena wrote:which stores have the AR 15's ?
The WalMart in Mansfield used to carry them.
I bought a Colt AR15 at WalMart several years ago but they stopped carrying AR's and said they are dedicating to hunting rifles.
The wal mart in Mansfield stopped maybe 6 months or so ago. That is why I said used to carry.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

JP171 wrote:
jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Judging from some of the acrimonious and sometimes combative posts of late, I would not mind if every OC got asked to show his/her license. You never know otherwise, eh?
my answer is no you can't see it, if I have to leave so be it but your not seeing anything you don't have a legal right or requirement to see so (explative)
You sir, are why there's an increased number of 30.06 signs appearing. :banghead:
to OG and yourself, I don't open carry at all, however if they ask to see my license because they may think I have a weapon I have the right to tell them no, they can certainly tell me I can't go into the store, fine, I will leave but a private citizen demanding my papers is going to be dealt with the same as anyone violating my rights period
If you're writing a check for your purchase, they'll likely ask for ID. Are you gonna' tell them that's a secret too?

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JP171 »

Oldgringo wrote:
JP171 wrote:
jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:
If you're writing a check for your purchase, they'll likely ask for ID. Are you gonna' tell them that's a secret too?
no because that is within their right as it is also in banking agreements, but if its none of their business its none of their business period their desire doesn't matter same as I have the right to lie my tail off to anyone that asks me anything with the exception of a cop investigating a crime or accident. the LTC didn't come with an agreement to display it to and tom dick and harry that wants to see it

chuck j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuck j »

Got a shocker for ya !
Comply , be eager to please . Tell the unfortunate employee a ........why did the chicken cross the road joke ...........while you fetch your license be sure it's kind of stupid joke. Ask if he/she has any kids or grand kids . Ask friendly questions of them , possibly telling of your own . Ask them what church they attend and compliment their going (no more than you should do actually). Tell them you appreciate their efforts , telling them that it was nice talking to them .
Then go about your business .

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

My most humble apologies if this has already been covered in the previous 9 or 10 pages but, what does Walmart's liquor license have to do with me carrying in the store? I know unlicensed possession is a big problem for me if I'm caught, but what is Walmart's jeopardy if I get caught carrying without a license?

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

I have shopped at the Elgin Walmart regularly. I've carried openly there since 1/1/16. I went today to see if they were checking. I saw no one at the doors. I interacted with employees. No one asked for anything.
:txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

JP171 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
JP171 wrote:
jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:
no because that is within their right as it is also in banking agreements, but if its none of their business its none of their business period their desire doesn't matter same as I have the right to lie my tail off to anyone that asks me anything with the exception of a cop investigating a crime or accident. the LTC didn't come with an agreement to display it to and tom dick and harry that wants to see it
You have limited rights on private property. You do not have the 1A right to go into Walmart with a sign saying "Walmart sucks" and then claim your right to free speech when told to leave. You can protest on the public sidewalk beside Walmart but not on the property itself after being told to leave.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 39

Post by mojo84 »

JP171 wrote:
jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:
JP, to be honest in this discussion, no one said they are asking concealed carriers. This entire discussion has been about asking people that are open carrying.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
winters wrote:

I can see being polite and showing a LIC when asked. That does not give them the right to ask. What happens if a person doesn't have a LTC, are they to call the police?
So, it's your contention that they do not have the right to ask? I don't understand how you've come to that conclusion. We discuss all the time that the police have the right to ask you anything during regular conversation and that one doesn't have to answer. Same thing here. A Walmart employee can ask you anything they want and other than not going in their stores there's nothing you or I can do to prevent that. It's our own choice as to what we do if asked and if we choose to not show it to them, they have the right to call the police and or ask us to leave.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84
Posts in topic: 39

Post by mojo84 »

MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
winters wrote:

Why do you think they do not have a right to ask? The government makes them liable if someone openly carries a gun without a license. Do you not think there are certain terms and conditions under which you enter their property?

By the way, just to illustrate they do have a right to ask, can I see a copy of your LTC? What is your shoe size? What is the name of your first girlfriend? What is your home phone number?

See, I have a right to ask you anything. You have the right to answer or not. In the case of Wal-Mart and you don't show your LTC, they have the right to ask you to leave. Pretty simple really.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

mojo84 wrote: By the way, just to illustrate they do have a right to ask, can I see a copy of your LTC?
Crackin me up! "rlol"

Wish I'd thought of it first.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

mojo84 wrote:Why do you think they do not have a right to ask? The government makes them liable if someone openly carries a gun without a license. Do you not think there are certain terms and conditions under which you enter their property?

By the way, just to illustrate they do have a right to ask, can I see a copy of your LTC? What is your shoe size? What is the name of your first girlfriend? What is your home phone number?

See, I have a right to ask you anything. You have the right to answer or not. In the case of Wal-Mart and you don't show your LTC, they have the right to ask you to leave. Pretty simple really.
Is it the case that the holder of a liquor license is obligated to ask an open carrier to see his LTC? I asked earlier and I think my question was buried. I get that "the store" can ask for whatever reason but are they obliged to? What happens to the liquor license holder if they don't ID open carriers?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”