Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by LDB415 »

Perhaps we all need to become secondary alternate reserve backup deputies. Then WB and other places should have no issue if we OC during code 7 (to borrow from some tv show) or whatever the local term is for eating.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

AggieDad15
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AggieDad15 »

EEllis wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:Lots of beating dead horses here on all sides. I think everyone who disagrees will always disagree.

I think what POed most people the most about Whataburger's decision, was their decision to politicize it - to pander to the liberal Mommies and leftists with this announcement - but yet trying to play both sides of the fence by saying CHL was OK.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I don't much like politics, especially when it comes from a two-faced corporation who is trying to have it both ways or entertainers like the Dixie Chicks who bash our president in Europe.

This letter, as posted by ziravan on FreeRepublic, pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

My letter to Whataburger:

I normally eat at least one meal a week at one of your locations. I will not patronize Whataburger again until you officially cease your attack on gun rights in Texas.

You made a political statement with your announcement on open carry. I will make mine and exclude you from the list of businesses where I spend my hard earned money.

In some ways, I might even agree with you. I conceal carry and would not think to open carry, even after it becomes legal. I can see from where your concerns come. Nevertheless, timing is everything and by being first, loudest, and uniquely Texan, you are trading off your business model to send a political message.

Whether I agree that open carry is right for me or your business, I support it politically. The timing and nature of your statement on open carry goes beyond your private property rights; you’ve sent a political message and one where we disagree.

So, because you unilaterally decided to place politics between us, I have no choice but to respond in kind. Until you remove the politics you placed between us, we are opponents and I can no longer financially support a business who doesn’t see the common sense in keeping politics from ruining our relationship.

80 posted on 7/13/2015, 2:39:21 PM by ziravan (Choose Sides.)

As for me, their decision to announce this to the world in a patronizing move to the liberals, instead of just quietly posting a 3007 on January 1, will lose my life-long business forever. If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much. As for you, you can do whatever you please.
Wow, just Wow. Someone leaked a document then they were badgered from all sides and reluctantly they reaffirmed their position which most likely was more about CJ than MDA and you blame them? And by the way people can make decisions you don't like for reasons that have nothing to do with them being cowards or folding under pressure. That comments seems to just be you lashing out having no real evidence that I've seen. Honestly it was seemingly just you being unpleasant to someone who you disagree with. It's unseemly.
What do you care? Lots of other business did NOT cave in such as KROGER. What ax have you got to grind? s I said if you bothered to READ my post: YOU can do as you please. But stop whining about what **I** do. You're acting like your a WB employee or something LOL. To each his own.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

AggieDad15 wrote:
What do you care? Lots of other business did NOT cave in such as KROGER. What ax have you got to grind? s I said if you bothered to READ my post: YOU can do as you please. But stop whining about what **I** do. You're acting like your a WB employee or something LOL. To each his own.
I went back and read the letter from the WB CEO and it is clear that he is addressing it to OC groups... which means that he was pushed into making a statement. Had the OC groups not pushed the issue, it probably would have been a wait and see issue.

You said "lots of businesses" yet you repeatedly say "KROGER"... Kroger is one business... lots of businesses have asked the OC crowd to keep the guns out of their stores. Sonic, Starbucks, Applebees, Chilis, Jack in the Box, Wendys, Arbys, Chipotle, Target, Sprouts (even went one step further and posted 30.06)... that is a lot of businesses, and now add Whataburger to that list.

So, what is your ax to grind? You seem to be PO'd that WB will continue to allow CC but not OC. Would you rather they not allow either? They are trying to make accommodations for all, or at least the majority, of their customers... which is what businesses do. If the issue is continually pushed in Kroger, they will change their mind as well. CHL holders are a minority... last number I saw was less than 3% of Texans have a CHL. To have WB publicly state that CC is welcomed is still a win.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

cyphertext wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:
I went back and read the letter from the WB CEO and it is clear that he is addressing it to OC groups... which means that he was pushed into making a statement. Had the OC groups not pushed the issue, it probably would have been a wait and see issue.

You said "lots of businesses" yet you repeatedly say "KROGER"... Kroger is one business... lots of businesses have asked the OC crowd to keep the guns out of their stores. Sonic, Starbucks, Applebees, Chilis, Jack in the Box, Wendys, Arbys, Chipotle, Target, Sprouts (even went one step further and posted 30.06)... that is a lot of businesses, and now add Whataburger to that list.

So, what is your ax to grind? You seem to be PO'd that WB will continue to allow CC but not OC. Would you rather they not allow either? They are trying to make accommodations for all, or at least the majority, of their customers... which is what businesses do. If the issue is continually pushed in Kroger, they will change their mind as well. CHL holders are a minority... last number I saw was less than 3% of Texans have a CHL. To have WB publicly state that CC is welcomed is still a win.
What is Sprouts? Never heard of it. Not that it matters since I don't darken the door of any business with a 30.06 sign.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

VMI77 wrote: What is Sprouts? Never heard of it. Not that it matters since I don't darken the door of any business with a 30.06 sign.
It's a grocery chain that offers organic and natural type foods, but less expensive than Whole Foods Market. https://www.sprouts.com/

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

If OC proponents keep pushing for a decision before 1/1, the results will not be in our favor. Once 1/1 comes and there is an issue, we can deal with it then in an appropriate manner.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

cyphertext wrote:
VMI77 wrote: What is Sprouts? Never heard of it. Not that it matters since I don't darken the door of any business with a 30.06 sign.
It's a grocery chain that offers organic and natural type foods, but less expensive than Whole Foods Market. https://www.sprouts.com/
Haven't been to a Whole Foods in awhile.....don't know if the one's in Austin have 30.06 signs, but even if they don't, since they got caught scamming I'm less likely to go (wasn't the Austin stores caught scamming btw, was in another state, but still....)
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1 and the business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it?

If OC proponents keep pushing for a decision before 1/1, the results will not be in our favor. Once 1/1 comes and there is an issue, we can deal with it then in an appropriate manner.
I'd say the chances of CJ and the Reverend laying low for 5 months are probably equal to hell freezing over and Jade Helm actually being a takeover of Texas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Taypo wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1 and the business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it?

I'd say the chances of CJ and the Reverend laying low for 5 months are probably equal to heck freezing over and Jade Helm actually being a takeover of Texas.
My post was directed to those on here that are dead set on getting their way and forcing their views on business owners. Kory, Holcombe and CJ don't hit my radar unless I'm spitting.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

mojo84 wrote:
Taypo wrote:

I'd say the chances of CJ and the Reverend laying low for 5 months are probably equal to heck freezing over and Jade Helm actually being a takeover of Texas.
My post was directed to those on here that are dead set on getting their way and forcing their views on business owners. Kory, Holcombe and CJ don't hit my radar unless I'm spitting.
I don't think any of our resident militants are doing anything other than bowing up on a website right now. I'm sure they'll be out causing trouble come Jan 1.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

mojo84 wrote:
Taypo wrote:

I thought I saw something saying that Holcombe is supporting WB's decision and will just continue to conceal and enjoy their tasty burgers.

westex1948
Posts in topic: 1

Post by westex1948 »

I believe the new WB policy on Open Carry is NOT directed at handguns (although will restrict OC) . . . BUT the action is being taken because of actions of groups like OCT. After seeing new law they saw it as a way to prevent the carrying of long guns in their stores. After seeing many of the videos of the In Your Face actions, I don't think I would want that bunch in my store either.
If it were not for OCT demonstrations, the new law would go into effect with minimal problems.....Now on New Years Day EVERY NEWS outlet will be out shoving cameras in the face of anyone with an "big old dangerous gun" . . . looking for all the blood shed.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oljames3 »

mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

Please clarify what you mean by "OC proponent".

Thanks.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

oljames3 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

Thanks.
People that support open carry.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Thanks.
People that support open carry.
That is most of the people on this board. Are you meaning the people pushing "Constitutional Carry" and won't settle for anything else?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”