CC at private residence

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

BlueMerle
Posts in topic: 9

Re: CC at private residence

Post by BlueMerle »

C-dub wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:This is just my opinion and not a comment on what others do.

I don't take kindly to those that carry in my home without first notifying me and getting my permission. (My close friends with CHLs already have permission to carry anytime in my home, as I do in theirs.) And in turn I don't carry in someone else's home without doing the same.

Now, I live in DFW and as a result of various social and business relationships there are often people I don't know or know only slightly that come into my home. And I often enter others homes under similar circumstances. There are also people that are anti-gun or just not comfortable with others carrying in their home. ( I don't have to agree with them on this issue to do business with them or enjoy the occasional social event.)

Regardless of what the law says, I'll control what goes on in my home and will grant others the right to do the same in their home. Outside of that, I'll carry where ever I'm legally allowed without regard to what others think.
That starts to let a lot of people know that don't need to know. If you're okay with that then that's your choice. Over the years the number of people that know I carry has expanded, but is still somewhat small and usually limited to other CHLs. I will often wait until they make some comment indicating they carry or they just flat out say it. Sometimes, even then, I don't reciprocate that I do and am at that very moment.
Yes and no, more no than yes though. No one has ever come into my home pulled out their plastic and said, "I have a CHL and I'm carrying... is that ok?". Nor have I ever done that in anyone else's home. On a few occasions though, someone I know and trust that knows the 'stranger' has pulled me aside and said, "Hey, this guy has a CHL and I think he's a good guy." thus allowing me to decide.... and then pull the 'stranger' aside and have a quick talk and give him permission to carry in my home if he chooses to do so.

So only a select few know what's going on, otherwise the matter is left unspoken. I don't want public announcements indicating who is and who isn't carrying.

As for the rest of your post, I agree completely. And like you, there have been times when I remained mute on the subject despite others admitting they have a CHL.

At the end of the day though, I believe that the home is sacrosanct.

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

TXBO wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:This is just my opinion and not a comment on what others do.

I don't take kindly to those that carry in my home without first notifying me and getting my permission. (My close friends with CHLs already have permission to carry anytime in my home, as I do in theirs.) And in turn I don't carry in someone else's home without doing the same.

Now, I live in DFW and as a result of various social and business relationships there are often people I don't know or know only slightly that come into my home. And I often enter others homes under similar circumstances. There are also people that are anti-gun or just not comfortable with others carrying in their home. ( I don't have to agree with them on this issue to do business with them or enjoy the occasional social event.)

Regardless of what the law says, I'll control what goes on in my home and will grant others the right to do the same in their home. Outside of that, I'll carry where ever I'm legally allowed without regard to what others think.
Interesting. I prefer to find another venue, other than my home, for people I "don't know or know only slightly".
Hopefully you understand that there are some business and social situations where that's not always possible.

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

I don't have many events in my home but when I do it's invitation only. Anyone on the invite list with a CHL is more than welcome to carry until if/when I see them behaving in such a manner that would lead me to revoke that privilege.
In fact, I would expect someone with a CHL to believe CC in my home is perfectly fine if I have invited them and done nothing to convey that CC is prohibited.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

jmra wrote:I don't have many events in my home but when I do it's invitation only. Anyone on the invite list with a CHL is more than welcome to carry until if/when I see them behaving in such a manner that would lead me to revoke that privilege.
In fact, I would expect someone with a CHL to believe CC in my home is perfectly fine if I have invited them and done nothing to convey that CC is prohibited.
That's fair, and I don't disagree.

Now say I'm having a backyard BBQ for the players on my softball team and one approaches me and says "My wife's cousin is up from Houston would you mind if he came?" Should I require a background check first? Should I say no? Should I cancel the BBQ? ... Of course not. The only appropriate response is "He's more than welcome, I look forward to meeting him"

jmra

Post by jmra »

BlueMerle wrote:
jmra wrote:I don't have many events in my home but when I do it's invitation only. Anyone on the invite list with a CHL is more than welcome to carry until if/when I see them behaving in such a manner that would lead me to revoke that privilege.
That's fair, and I don't disagree.

Now say I'm having a backyard BBQ for the players on my softball team and one approaches me and says "My wife's cousin is up from Houston would you mind if he came?" Should I require a background check first? Should I say no? Should I cancel the BBQ? ... Of course not. The only appropriate response is "He's more than welcome, I look forward to meeting him"
:iagree: And if it were my home I would not have a problem with him CCing. I believe that the vast majority of CHL holders are very responsible people so CCing in my home should not be an issue. Of course this is just MHO.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScooterSissy »

I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here. Some feel no one should come in their homes without first telling whether or not they're armed; do those folks also feel that permission should be granted by a business owner before someone carries? Why should a business have to post, but not a homeowner? To me, it's the same concept, if you don't want someone to carry in your home, post it.

As far as carrying in other folks homes, I carry just about anytime I leave the house. I'm not going to disarm just because I"m going to someone's home that i know (unless I see a sign on the door). I'm typically not going to leave it at home (unless they tell me to ahead of time). I've never had either happen.

Most of those that know me well know that if I come over, there's a good chance I'm armed. Those that don't know, I'm not likely to tell them one way or another.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

If it's not posted I don't worry about it, even if it's the first time I've been in their home. The reason to carry concealed is so nobody knows. If they discover somehow that I'm carrying and tell me they don't like it I do the same as I would in a public building. I leave after saying thank you and goodbye. Now with open carry I think I'll do it differently. At the initial greeting before entering their home I would point to my sidearm and ask, "Do you mind?" Also telling them I have a CHL. If they say yes, I would either put the gun in my vehicle or just leave. There are many other factors that would have to be considered, like what type of gathering it was. I wouldn't carry at a New Years Eve party for example. Bottom line is just obey the laws as written and carry responsibly and respectfully.

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

ScooterSissy wrote:I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here. Some feel no one should come in their homes without first telling whether or not they're armed; do those folks also feel that permission should be granted by a business owner before someone carries? Why should a business have to post, but not a homeowner? To me, it's the same concept, if you don't want someone to carry in your home, post it.

As far as carrying in other folks homes, I carry just about anytime I leave the house. I'm not going to disarm just because I"m going to someone's home that i know (unless I see a sign on the door). I'm typically not going to leave it at home (unless they tell me to ahead of time). I've never had either happen.

Most of those that know me well know that if I come over, there's a good chance I'm armed. Those that don't know, I'm not likely to tell them one way or another.

I never said that in any way shape or form. You don't need to tell me anything, but you'd better not carry in my home without my permission.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

My attitude is if I have been invited to someone's house, they are inviting all of me.

I generally conduct myself as "concealed means concealed".

Unless I walk up and see a 30.06 sign on someone's door or have someone in apparent control of the premises tell me that legally concealed handguns are unwelcome, then I am assuming it is not a problem. Of course, if someone tells me my legally concealed handgun is unwelcome, then I would not only choose to leave, I would also consider them inhospitable and rude.

As far as people in my house goes, I have no problem with legal concealed carry. If someone conducts his or herself in a rude or unsafe fashion, whether becoming obnoxiously drunk, proclaiming loud and strident political opinions, making negative criticisms of my or other religious beliefs, overtly racist comments, improperly handling firearms, or making threatening comments regarding firearms, then those would all be situations where the person's own actions made him/herself unwelcome in my home. Of course, most people are able to conform within normal social expectations. Legal carry of firearms is no different.

Note I carefully qualify the firearm comments with "legal carry". Criminals are not welcome.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

If I trust someone enough to come into my home I trust them enough to carry.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jmra

Post by jmra »

BlueMerle wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here. Some feel no one should come in their homes without first telling whether or not they're armed; do those folks also feel that permission should be granted by a business owner before someone carries? Why should a business have to post, but not a homeowner? To me, it's the same concept, if you don't want someone to carry in your home, post it.

I never said that in any way shape or form. You don't need to tell me anything, but you'd better not carry in my home without my permission.
Just curious, if your home isn't posted how is someone supposed to know they "better not carry in my home without my permission"?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

suthdj wrote:If I trust someone enough to come into my home I trust them enough to carry.
:iagree:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

jmra wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:

Just curious, if your home isn't posted how is someone supposed to know they "better not carry in my home without my permission"?
They won't and I'll never post my home either. Perhaps I, and many I know, just see the issue differently. A persons home is sacrosanct imo. It's nothing more than common courtesy.

Now to be clear, I'm not going to cause a scene if I happen to find that someone is carrying in my home but I will have a private talk with them and explain that I find it rude and may ask them to put it in their vehicle.... may. (this assumes they have a chl, if not they'll be asked to leave immediately.)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

suthdj wrote:If I trust someone enough to come into my home I trust them enough to carry.
:iagree:

I strive to act politely at all times and expect the same of others. Being legally armed, either concealed or openly, is not rude in and of itself. Moms Demand Action believes that being armed is, in and of itself, rude and threatening. It seems to me that a society accepting of legally armed individuals should be our goal rather than the world MDA envisions.

I have learned much from the members of this forum. The insights I value most are those into the feelings, beliefs, interpretations, and positions of others relating to going armed in our society. Thanks.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

BlueMerle wrote:
jmra wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:

They won't and I'll never post my home either. Perhaps I, and many I know, just see the issue differently. A persons home is sacrosanct imo. It's nothing more than common courtesy.

Now to be clear, I'm not going to cause a scene if I happen to find that someone is carrying in my home but I will have a private talk with them and explain that I find it rude and may ask them to put it in their vehicle.... may. (this assumes they have a chl, if not they'll be asked to leave immediately.)
While I don't agree with you on this point, I believe we may have a way to handle this if open carry passes. If you're entering the home of someone where you don't know how they feel on CC, you open carry and point to it before you enter thereby seeking permission (as suggested by somebody earlier above).

And by the way if you do feel so strongly, it's kind of rude not to post a sign or tell the person in advance how you feel before inviting them.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”