Renewal process

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texaspirate
Posts in topic: 1

Renewal process

Post by texaspirate »

Hi everyone. Hard to believe I have had mine 4 years. I've searched the forums looking for the renewal process but couldn't find. Back at the time we were required to renew 6 months prior and reshoot. Can anyone update me in the process now?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Renewal process

Post by Keith B »

You will be sent a renewal notice in the mail approximately 6 months prior to expiration. All you have to do now is fill out the online renewal and send in your money. No class or shooting for renewal any longer.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

Mine is up in May. I renewed on line at the beginning of the month and received the plastic today. :hurry:

Good for another 5 yrs now. :woohoo

Miguel

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Got the DPS letter mid January. Original due to expire in mid-June. Filled out the on-line application, paid the fee. Received the new plastic last week. Same photo as the original, only changes were that the S.A. designation is gone (there is no longer a N.S.A./S.A designation), and the word "Veteran" is on the top (as is my DL). Quick, easy, painless.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

Keith B wrote:You will be sent a renewal notice in the mail approximately 6 months prior to expiration. All you have to do now is fill out the online renewal and send in your money. No class or shooting for renewal any longer.
Fantastic. Mine's up again next year. I know a guy who didn't renew the first time because he felt the requirements were too much trouble.
TX CHL 1997

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

So... I renewed mine, took the class and didn't have any problems. IIRC, now my next renewal is a simple online transaction.

Now for my question. My daughter let hers lapse. She tried to change her name (got married) online and couldn't and then didn't do anything...

Does she start from scratch again?

Thanks,

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Just went through the process myself...had new plastic in about 18 business days. All I had to do was pay and fill out the online app. I'm now good until 2019.

Isn't there a point where you no longer have to do anything? Maybe after the 3rd renewal or so?

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jeff B. wrote:So... I renewed mine, took the class and didn't have any problems. IIRC, now my next renewal is a simple online transaction.

Now for my question. My daughter let hers lapse. She tried to change her name (got married) online and couldn't and then didn't do anything...

Does she start from scratch again?
Thanks,
Jeff B.

She can renew her license up to 1 year after expiration. If it has been more than 1 year, then yes she has to start all over.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Got it. Thanks!

Good new is she has not passed the 1 year mark and is downloading the form to submit.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

What is the cost to renew? I had to pay $27 just to change my address, a bit high if you ask me.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:What is the cost to renew? I had to pay $27 just to change my address, a bit high if you ask me.
If not a veteran, senior, or other discounted status, it is $70 plus $2.68 (I think that is the amount) for online processing.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:You will be sent a renewal notice in the mail approximately 6 months prior to expiration. All you have to do now is fill out the online renewal and send in your money. No class or shooting for renewal any longer.

This forum is awesome. I've been researching the renewal process on the DPS website to see how early I can or need to start my application. Couldn't find my answer there but I found it here.

Looks like I'm a bit early for my November renewal. :oops:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

I have to renew mine before October and its FREE!!!!!!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

mojo84 wrote:Looks like I'm a bit early for my November renewal. :oops:
You should receive a renewal reminder next month.

Another question you may have.... If you apply for renewal 6 months "early" (6 months before expiration), the renewal expiration date will still be 5 years from the expiration date of your current license... Not 5 years from when you applied for renewal.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

I just got my renewal notice, now just have to get the paperwork together and get it sent in

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”