Making plans to go CHL with my wife

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BeeKeith
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Making plans to go CHL with my wife

Post by BeeKeith »

And, yes. Thanks sjf. My response time's a little slow as I'm at work.
My "ears" are open.
My experience with firearms has more to do with a little S. Texas bird huntin' many years ago and waitin' on an old white tail in the N. E. part of the state. Getting ready to go for a cc license is a little different. I'm seeing where this forum will be my go to place for good info and good folks.
Thanks, Keith

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

BeeKeith wrote:I'm about half an hour south of Texarkana. I've had a few local recommendations. And stumbled across a website somewhat local to me. I haven't looked for listing on this forum yet. As far as any future gun purchases, it's getting down to wants. I have a compact 1911, a holster I'm trying to make friends with, a versa thunder I bought for my wife to use. Other than that, I got an itch for a Beretta 85 I wish I didn't pass up about 15 years ago. The Beretta may have to wait. Might be better to put my money on an AR or Ruger mini ranch. The license class will fit in when the holster for the bersa comes in and we get proficient with the equipment. At least that's my thinking so far.
Any holster will be much easier to "make friends with" if it's attached to a good gun belt.

Seriously. That is the big secret to concealed carry. The best holster in the world can't do it's job if it's not attached to a good stiff gun belt.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
BeeKeith

Post by BeeKeith »

I'm starting to see that. Just got a gun belt from Amerihide. Haven't tried it yet. Been running a new pair of wranglers through the wash to get them broken in. A new pair that's bigger than what I'm used to. I'm seeing it as a system. By midweek, I should be giving it a try.
Thanks, Keith

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Back to your original question, and reiterating some of the things you've read from others here...

My wife and I took ours together. We shared the same pistol - I shot first, and then she shot next. She was not prone to shoot regularly before taking the class, so she really didn't have a good feel for my .45 until that day. She realized then and there that she wanted something smaller, with less recoil, that fit better into her small hands.

Now, we both have our own carry guns, and she carries every day. I travel outside the country a lot for work, and I'm glad to know she's prepared to defend herself and our family if something comes her way.

Welcome to the forum, and have fun shooting with your wife!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
BeeKeith

Post by BeeKeith »

Thank you Vol Texan for the welcome and we'll wishes. (As my wife would say) "as we go down that river together", we will address what we find necessary. And enjoy the journey. :txflag: :txflag:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledgeable people here that are more than willing top help you.

If you are south of Texarkana, you may be close to Longtooth, who is one of the moderators here. He is an instructor and is kind of out that way. He is a great guy and I here his class (as are most that are here) are very informative.

If you need something closer, I am sure there are a few her that would help out. Some places even supply the gun and ammo but not sure of any here that do and they are a bit more expensive than if you supply your own.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

Good to hear that your wife is both interested and going along. My wife took me along and talked me into going through with the process. Taking charge of your personal safety is both our right and our responsibility. I hope you guys make a good team.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

My wife and I took the class together and both have our licenses. We both used my Glock 19 even though she shoots a revolver. I wanted her to get the NSA endorsement because if I needed her to hold my pistol she had to have it. That is no longer a concern - yea!

It was fun taking the class with my wife. I enjoyed being able to out shoot her - remember she wasn't using her revolver :mrgreen: . When we go to the range and she usually does better than me, but I just bring up the CHL scores and she cries foul.

Good times. :thumbs2:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”