[Pre-paid legal service]

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ccmac
Posts in topic: 2

[Pre-paid legal service]

Post by ccmac »

What is the general opinion on the services provided by [Pre-paid legal service]? Is it a legit outfit? And do others on this site suscribe to their service and or recommend it? It seems to me to be a good idea to have something like it, or an attorney on retainer for "just in case".

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: [Pre-paid legal service]

Post by Jumping Frog »

I'd suggest you read previous posts on this touchy subject. "Search" is your friend.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

You'll find people here on both sides of the fence. I for one would not place my freedom in the hands of a lawyer I do not know and will not get to meet until that freedom is at risk. Ask them how many CHL cases they have defended in court and the results of those cases. If they are still talking to you at that point ask for specifics of cases they have won and lost related to CHL. I bet all you hear are crickets.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

Jumping Frog wrote:I'd suggest you read previous posts on this touchy subject. "Search" is your friend.

I did do a search and came up with conflicting opinions, some say that it is well worth it for peice of mind while others are against it and say to just have a local trusted attorney on retainer while others seem to think it's better to just wait until you need it to worry about it. I'm one who tends to agree to the notion that you can't be too prepared for anything so I figured I'd make a dedicated post to form my own opinion based on more recent input from others.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I am not sure how they work now but in years past their claim was that they would represent you "up to and including Grand Jury". In other words if you were indicted, and it went to trial, you would have to pay extra. Now, I have heard that has changed but I cannot say yea or nea.
Personally, I have a legal firm that I use for my business affairs that also has a division takes care of this type of thing. I carry their card with me at all times
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

ccmac wrote:What is the general opinion on the services provided by [Pre-paid legal service]? ... It seems to me to be a good idea to have something like it, or an attorney on retainer for "just in case".
This last.

Our CHL instructor mentioned [pre-paid legal] and has their card which is good enough endorsement for me. Sure he gets some sort of kickback if I buy but...money makes the world go round and that's the way life is.

But it took forever to get my card and in the meantime I'd looked-into Gun Trusts and ID'ed a local attorney, one who does trusts and is a gun person himself, and the trusts are likely a small part of his practice which includes other specialties like real estate and wills and...

Well my point is simply that IMO we should all have a relationship with an attorney for a number of reasons in our lives, so I'm no longer so hot on [pre-paid legal] which AFAICT is a one-trick pony. Maybe a good one, but I'd rather have a full-service attorney and a relationship with him/her.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

RPBrown wrote:I am not sure how they work now but in years past their claim was that they would represent you "up to and including Grand Jury". In other words if you were indicted, and it went to trial, you would have to pay extra. Now, I have heard that has changed but I cannot say yea or nea.
Personally, I have a legal firm that I use for my business affairs that also has a division takes care of this type of thing. I carry their card with me at all times
Rumors are a great thing - you can make 'em say whatever someone wants.

From the [Pre-paid legal service] website:
"Under our program a lawyer who is a Member of our Firearms Legal Defense Program will assist and defend you from the moment you need it, if you “use” a firearm. Your lawyer will represent you in any legal proceeding (criminal or civil), for zero attorneys’ fees. No cap or limit on attorney time."
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

There are a lot of folks who find that they develop a relationship with a lawyer's firm, and use it from time to time for various reasons. The rest of us, who have only needed a lawyer for a one-off probate case or a complicated will, or somesuch, don't have a relationship with a lawyer. And IF we use a gun, that's not really the time we want to be shopping for one.

I understand why they can't advertise every case that they've been involved in with enough detail to satisfy everyone's misgivings. They do have some examples of their work on the web page, but without enough detail to stay within the limits of confidentiality.

I've subscribed to [pre-paid legal] for a number of years, and have found the information they provide, through their various video library items, and the publications they put together, have been very nice to have - and the plastic card with my name and member number, and the telephone number for a real, live, person that will answer the phone if I call it at 2 AM is worth a lot of piece of mind. I recommend [pre-paid legal] to anyone that does not have an established relationship with a law firm that provides civil and criminal representation - and I don't get a kickback from them, either.

By the way - the NRA is beginning to set up marketing for a pre-paid legal service... they're soliciting NRA instructors, now, to join the sales staff - so there's gonna be at least one more player in the field, soon.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

TomsTXCHL wrote: Our CHL instructor mentioned [pre-paid legal] and has their card which is good enough endorsement for me. Sure he gets some sort of kickback if I buy but...money makes the world go round and that's the way life is.
Paid endorsements don't mean anything to me. Unpaid endorsements carry some value.
As JMRA suggested, ask how many people they've defended and the outcomes of those cases. Note that criminal cases are matters of public record. That's where I'd start.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

n5wd wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I am not sure how they work now but in years past their claim was that they would represent you "up to and including Grand Jury". In other words if you were indicted, and it went to trial, you would have to pay extra. Now, I have heard that has changed but I cannot say yea or nea.
Rumors are a great thing - you can make 'em say whatever someone wants.

From the [Pre-paid legal service] website:
"Under our program a lawyer who is a Member of our Firearms Legal Defense Program will assist and defend you from the moment you need it, if you “use” a firearm. Your lawyer will represent you in any legal proceeding (criminal or civil), for zero attorneys’ fees. No cap or limit on attorney time."
Not rumors. As stated, it was from several years past. I even stated that I was not sure how it was now. In fact, I ran across one of their cards that stated this while cleaning out mu office. If I didn't throw it away, I will try to find it and post it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ccmac wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:I'd suggest you read previous posts on this touchy subject. "Search" is your friend.

I did do a search and came up with conflicting opinions, some say that it is well worth it for peice of mind while others are against it and say to just have a local trusted attorney on retainer while others seem to think it's better to just wait until you need it to worry about it. I'm one who tends to agree to the notion that you can't be too prepared for anything so I figured I'd make a dedicated post to form my own opinion based on more recent input from others.
As you can see, asking the same question again is just going to generate the same responses you found when you searched for the subject. It won't give you any additional information on which to base a purchase decision. All I will say, other than we are not going to discuss prepaid legal services again, is make very sure you understand exactly what you are getting, what you are not getting, and what you will either have to do without or pay out of your pocket. Then have a look at the NRA insurance. Once you have all of the information, make a decision that fits your needs.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”