Flying with checked pistol

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

them
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Flying with checked pistol

Post by them »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote: If a Non-TSA lock is used TSA has the authority to cut it, . . .
That's not 100% correct.

If it is a hard-sided case with a declared firearm they do not have that authority. Legally, you (gun owner) are required to have all the keys for the duration of the journey (you can unlock the case for the TSA) and since most TSA employees are not allowed to have weapons on the job, cutting a gun case lock (and thus taking possession of your gun) can line them up for trouble. They have the authority to call you back to screening to unlock the case.

Of course if they mess up and forget to read the tag before cutting it can be a hassle for you, too, because an unlocked gun case cannot fly. Best case (heh), you have a spare padlock. Worst case, you get pulled off the plane and miss your flight.

I have had TSA locks messed with. I have never had padlocks on a gun case harmed (I have been asked to unlock). I once had a TSA person who saw me carrying a padlocked pelican "warn" me that the lock would be cut. I replied, "gun case." He replied, "oh..."

Legally, it seems clear you cannot use TSA locks on a gun case due to the requirement that you keep control of the keys.

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

them wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote: If a Non-TSA lock is used TSA has the authority to cut it, . . .
That's not 100% correct.

If it is a hard-sided case with a declared firearm they do not have that authority.
My comment was in reference to a Non-TSA lock being placed on luggage not on the gun case, I even put the forum member's own words in bold to illustrate that. I had a flight earlier this month and used a TSA lock on my luggage but used a regular Non-TSA masterlock on my gun case.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
If a Non-TSA lock is used TSA has the authority to cut it, if you use a TSA lock and something came up missing you'd know exactly who did it. For that very reason I wouldn't think a theft by a TSA agent would be likely.
Under federal law they can't cut a lock if it has a declared firearm in it.

The TSA master keys are floating out there. Even without the key, TSA locks are usually pretty flimsy and easy to pick. I have never had a brass padlock cut by TSA or anyone else. There was a presentation at Defcon (hacker conference) a couple of years ago about flying with firearms and how it allows you to lock your suitcase with a real lock.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
them wrote:
That's not 100% correct.

If it is a hard-sided case with a declared firearm they do not have that authority.
My comment was in reference to a Non-TSA lock being placed on luggage not on the gun case, I even put the forum member's own words in bold to illustrate that. I had a flight earlier this month and used a TSA lock on my luggage but used a regular Non-TSA masterlock on my gun case.
Mine were the words you bolded, but I don't understand if your comment was supporting or challenging my method of securing a checked firearm. My words were:
VolTexan wrote:That being said, I travel with mine often. Pistol is usually in a locked NanoVault inside my suitcase. The suitcase has a TSA lock, but the NanoVault is a combination lock, so they cannot open without a bit of work. Ammo is kept outside of the gun in original factory box. Next month, I'm bringing a Pelican 1700 with my daughter's rifle, my carry pistol, and my wife's carry pistol. We're connecting through Chicago, but won't touch the case until we arrive in the Carolinas.
I think you and I are in agreement here, but you may have thought I was saying that used a non-TSA lock on the suitcase. Rather I was saying the opposite: When flying with a checked handgun, I put it in a NanoVault (not accessible by TSA), and then put the NanoVault inside my TSA locked soft sided luggage (accessible by TSA). When using the Pelican, it will be locked with several Master Locks (not accessible by TSA).
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

This is what I was talking about (warning, language):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

them
Posts in topic: 4

Post by them »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
Even there, if the luggage (e.g. suitcase) meets the definition of a hard case for the purpose of checking a gun, they are not authorized to cut the lock - even if the gun happens to also have a second case and lock inside the main luggage.

BigBangSmallBucks

ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
If a Non-TSA lock is used TSA has the authority to cut it, if you use a TSA lock and something came up missing you'd know exactly who did it. For that very reason I wouldn't think a theft by a TSA agent would be likely.

The TSA master keys are floating out there. Even without the key, TSA locks are usually pretty flimsy and easy to pick. I have never had a brass padlock cut by TSA or anyone else. There was a presentation at Defcon (hacker conference) a couple of years ago about flying with firearms and how it allows you to lock your suitcase with a real lock.
Please see the 2nd post from the top of page 2 thanks. :tiphat:

BigBangSmallBucks

Vol Texan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
them wrote:
That's not 100% correct.

Mine were the words you bolded, but I don't understand if your comment was supporting or challenging my method of securing a checked firearm. My words were:
VolTexan wrote:That being said, I travel with mine often. Pistol is usually in a locked NanoVault inside my suitcase. The suitcase has a TSA lock, but the NanoVault is a combination lock, so they cannot open without a bit of work. Ammo is kept outside of the gun in original factory box. Next month, I'm bringing a Pelican 1700 with my daughter's rifle, my carry pistol, and my wife's carry pistol. We're connecting through Chicago, but won't touch the case until we arrive in the Carolinas.
I think you and I are in agreement here, but you may have thought I was saying that used a non-TSA lock on the suitcase. Rather I was saying the opposite: When flying with a checked handgun, I put it in a NanoVault (not accessible by TSA), and then put the NanoVault inside my TSA locked soft sided luggage (accessible by TSA). When using the Pelican, it will be locked with several Master Locks (not accessible by TSA).
We are in agreement. :thumbs2:

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

Vol Texan wrote:
That being said, I travel with mine often. Pistol is usually in a locked NanoVault inside my suitcase. The suitcase has a TSA lock, but the NanoVault is a combination lock, so they cannot open without a bit of work. Ammo is kept outside of the gun in original factory box. Next month, I'm bringing a Pelican 1700 with my daughter's rifle, my carry pistol, and my wife's carry pistol. We're connecting through Chicago, but won't touch the case until we arrive in the Carolinas.

NO WAY IN THE WORLD I would connect through Chicago. ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZIP.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

rockinar wrote:

NO WAY IN THE WORLD I would connect through Chicago. ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZIP.
In just the last year alone, I hit airports in 14 foreign countries, to include (but not limited to) Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Oman, Kuwait, UAE, Indonesia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, California, Colorado, and the yankee capitol (D.C.). I've learned to keep my head low in places hostile to freedom, such as Chicago is, and pray to be back in the US as soon as possible!

:patriot:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

Sure, you CAN do that, but why would you?

I thought one of the benefits of flying with a firearm is to keep real locks on your luggage.

The TSA lock is as good as no lock at all.

BigBangSmallBucks

ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

I thought one of the benefits of flying with a firearm is to keep real locks on your luggage.

Please post one link from a .gov website that says checked baggage that has a non-TSA lock can NOT be cut by the TSA if it contains a separate locked gun case inside. Just to clarify I'm not talking about a very large gun case that is also being used to transfer other personal items. You can't speak something as fact if you have no proof to back it up.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
Please post one link from a .gov website that says checked baggage that has a non-TSA lock can NOT be cut by the TSA if it contains a separate locked gun case inside. Just to clarify I'm not talking about a very large gun case that is also being used to transfer other personal items. You can't speak something as fact if you have no proof to back it up.
Sure.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... ammunition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft."

In other words, I travel with a hard sided suitcase and my whole suitcase is my "gun case." It doesn't matter whether the container containing the firearm inside the case is locked or not. You are entitled to lock the entire suitcase, as long as it contains a firearm, whether or not that firearm is in a locked case inside the suitcase

Have you ever had a lock cut off with a suitcase containing a firearm? I sure never have. All that happens is I wait until TSA is done, and they give me the all clear and I go on my way. Some airports such as DFW have a special screening area that they go to. Others just tell you to wait near the TSA door and they give you the thumbs up.

This is when they cut the lock:

"If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm."

But if you declare, and WAIT until TSA is done, no problem at all. Your whole suitcase is locked. The only way to fly.

BigBangSmallBucks

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
ryanj wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

:rules: :banghead:
Try again... For all intents and purposes what you just posted is considered the "gun case."
Last edited by BigBangSmallBucks on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

"Just to clarify I'm not talking about a very large gun case that is also being used to transfer other personal items."

I'm not. I'm talking about a hard sided carry on size case (that I check, I DO NOT carry on any firearms!) that has my firearm(s) and my other items. Because it has my firearm(s) I can and will lock it with a proper lock.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”