Traveling to Michigan, layover in Chicago

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Sparky3131
Posts in topic: 4

Traveling to Michigan, layover in Chicago

Post by Sparky3131 »

Tomorrow I am traveling to Midland, MI for business. I planned on taking my pistol with me but since I'm laying over in Chicago, I'm worried about the legal ramifications of having my pistol checked in my luggage. My father says there's a law preventing me getting in trouble for passing through but I couldn't find much on it. I'd hate to be unarmed in screwed-up Michigan. Any one know of the name of the legislation so I can read up on it before I decide to change my flight around?

Any and all help is very much appreciated! :thumbs2:
A man who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling to Michigan, layover in Chicago

Post by Abraham »

This is just my opinion: Safely store you gun at home and risk not having it.

Chicago is insanely anti-gun.

You don't want to end up in aChicago jail/prison.

Topic author
Sparky3131

Post by Sparky3131 »

Abraham wrote:This is just my opinion: Safely store you gun at home and risk not having it.

Chicago is insanely anti-gun.

You don't want to end up in aChicago jail/prison.

I agree, I changed my flight. Going without my firearm isn't an option. I have business in Saginaw, the 3rd most violent city in the US behind Camden, NJ and Flint, MI. I'd much rather a longer flight/layover than go without.
A man who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Can you check your bag straight through and pack a change of clothes, toothbrush, etc. in your carry-on?
Last edited by Pawpaw on Sat May 31, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Sparky3131

Post by Sparky3131 »

TxLobo wrote:
Sparky3131 wrote:Tomorrow I am traveling to Midland, MI for business. I planned on taking my pistol with me but since I'm laying over in Chicago, I'm worried about the legal ramifications of having my pistol checked in my luggage. My father says there's a law preventing me getting in trouble for passing through but I couldn't find much on it. I'd hate to be unarmed in screwed-up Michigan. Any one know of the name of the legislation so I can read up on it before I decide to change my flight around?

Any and all help is very much appreciated! :thumbs2:
Having only driven through the gun friendly southern portion of Illinois, I can't fully answer your question. Since you are "laying over" I don't know if you would be exempt under the "traveler" or not, however, Illinois expressly prohibits possession of a firearm in an airport.. and not just the secure areas like Texas and Georgia...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the reply, I found a few tidbits that said I would be okay, but I wasn't going to chance it. Im Flying into Detroit and driving to Midland.

slr001
Posts in topic: 3

Post by slr001 »

If it is in your checked bags, as it should be. You will not have possession of it at the airport in Chicago.

It will get transferred by airport personnel from the first flight to the second flight. What law would you be breaking?

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

slr001 wrote:If it is in your checked bags, as it should be. You will not have possession of it at the airport in Chicago.

It will get transferred by airport personnel from the first flight to the second flight. What law would you be breaking?
, layover in Chicago. Don't you have to take possession and recheck your bags on layovers?
N5PNZ

Topic author
Sparky3131

Post by Sparky3131 »

It would have been transferred by airport personnel but, I'm not taking any chances after reading what happened in New York

slr001

Post by slr001 »

2farnorth wrote:
slr001 wrote:If it is in your checked bags, as it should be. You will not have possession of it at the airport in Chicago.

, layover in Chicago. Don't you have to take possession and recheck your bags on layovers?
No, Your bags are checked to final destination.

If you are on an extended layover I think you can request bags to be checked only to layover destination. But by default they are checked through.

slr001

Post by slr001 »

Sparky3131 wrote:It would have been transferred by airport personnel but, I'm not taking any chances after reading what happened in New York
There are certainly corner cases... A flight cancellation that requires you to spend the night. They might pull bags, then you are stuck there with your checked bags. But I am guessing that the odds of a problem occuring are small.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Firearm Owners Protection Act, U.S. Code 926a allows you to travel to your "final destination" protected. The conditions are that you must start and end in states where the traveler's possession of the firearm is legal. As stated earlier, their could be an issue if you are forced to overnight in a state where you are not legal. The issue is there is no definition of "traveling" in the statute therefore it becomes murky.

IANAL but good call on changing your flight.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

There is a least a district court precedent (and I think the Appeals Court supported it but I do not recall) that said the overnight stop in a city when the plane connection was missed invalidated the FOPA protection. That court, on a case out of La Guardia IIRC, said that each day was a new trip in a case like that.

Be very careful about relying on the FOPA in the New York/New Jersey area.
Steve Rothstein

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I had a similar question when traveling to PA a few months ago. I'm attaching the letter from NJ State Police (I realize this post is about IL). Seems to me it's theoretically not a problem as long as while you are on you way to your final destination it's locked and not accessible.

Totally understand the sentiment about travel to IL, NY, NJ…. And I ended up not bringing a firearm because I just didn't want any potential hassle traveling with my family. But I do believe its completely legal so long as your origination and destination locations are free of prohibitions of firearm possession.
Attachments
NJ Firearms Inquiry Letter.pdf
(35.43 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My only worry about flying through Chicago with a bag checked onward to Michigan would be an unexpected trip interruption. In that case, I think I would have 2 choices.... 1. Pick up my bag, rent a car, drive to my final destination or 2. Talk to airport LE and explain the situation, NOT claim my bag.

I don't think checking a gun at O'Hare is anywhere near as life-altering as trying to do so in NYC or NJ.
I have no first hand knowledge, however...

Better to avoid Chicago if possible, but, i would not worry about it if it was unavoidable.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Car carry (unloaded, locked) appears ok..
http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Section 40
(e)Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1)is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2)is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3)is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”