OCT: Proposed OC ACT for 2015

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: OCT: Proposed OC ACT for 2015

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ldj1002 wrote:How do some states have OC and it apparently works just fine.
The issue at this point is getting the bill passed, i.e. what helps, what doesn't, and what is counterproductive.

Chas.

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

I don't like the idea of open carry it will stir up the anti-gun idiots when they see citizens carry in the open
keep it hidden out of sight is out of mine
We need to work on getting rid of gun free zones..from the way I see things most criminal acts with guns involved are in gun free zones
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

tommyg wrote:I don't like the idea of open carry it will stir up the anti-gun idiots when they see citizens carry in the open
We need to work on getting rid of gun free zones..from the way I see things most criminal acts with guns involved are in gun free zones
Passed in Oklahoma. Whether you agree or not it should come down to an individuals choice.

http://m.newsok.com/everything-you-need ... le/3724415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

tommyg wrote:I don't like the idea of open carry it will stir up the anti-gun idiots when they see citizens carry in the open
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. I don't agree with the in your face tactics employed by some of the zealots who support OC. But a right that I have to keep hidden and make sure that no one knows I'm excersizing it is not a right at all.

Pretending that no law abiding citizen would carry a gun is what has made many of the sheeple afraid of private citizens being armed. They think there aren't any guns out there except for evil people.........therefore guns are evil.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

JR's 12 Valve

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

When I'm out on the ranch it's my preferred method of carry, but I do not like the idea of openly carrying in town.

I gave it a go in Oklahoma, and I did not like it whatsoever. Just imagine walking down the street and having EVERYBODY look at you. I personally don't like being stared at wherever I walk.
After about 20 minutes I went and got my coat out of the truck.

I don't care for it in town, but I think folks should go ahead and do it if they get a wild hair.

xstuntman

Post by xstuntman »

Ok, I'll stick my neck out. Feel free to chop. ;-)

As a ccw guy I would open carry sometimes. But I also have concerns and gotten hammered on other boards about my not standing up for constitutional carry. Seen to many people at Wal Mart I don't trust with a can of cheese whizz let alone a firearm. If you require firearms training for LEOs I think it's only correct to require it of a citizen to o.c. in public.

I also think that Open Carry Texas is causing more problems than necessary so it's a moot point for 2015.

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

It is all about social attitude. Do you think everyone on the street would stare at each Police Officer because they OC all the time? Some still do to ID what is there in the that L3 holster :lol:
OC is not for everywhere, nonetheless, OC is still part of the Freedom to exercise our 2ndA civil right. :tiphat:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I support the choice to open carry but do not support the tactics that are being used by some of the OC folks. I would rather see legislation passed that gives CHLers the right to carry everywhere a LEO can carry passed then OC passing.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Right2Carry wrote:I support the choice to open carry but do not support the tactics that are being used by some of the OC folks. I would rather see legislation passed that gives CHLers the right to carry everywhere a LEO can carry passed then OC passing.
I would suggest small bills to accomplish the goal.
1) OC option for CHLers
2) CHLer carry where LEO can.
3) Reduce Fees for new CHLer so OC supporters can join

Even though, I do support constitutional 2ndA, carrying in the public where there is potential for more conflicts and interaction with other strange people/events.
I still value,
A) The CHL course (laws of use of deadly weapon and deescalation)
B) The shooting qualification
C) The more training that comes with the responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Looks like we have a long way to go to get to Constitutional Carry of handguns in Texas. Hopefully Charles will be successful in his endeavors with the NRA in the 2015 Legislature. Personally I would not OC but having OC'd firearms down main street as a kid and growing up with guns in my closet, guns in the window of my truck in the school parking lot, as well as my children having their guns in their closets, a guy in Wal-Mart with an AR strapped on his back doesn't bother or concern me in the least, unless he's shooting at me.

Free Men don't need permission to Bear Arms.

So do we Texans have a place to send money for NRA Texas efforts? I don't want one penny of my donation leaving Texas and ending up in New Jersey...
III

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Looks like we have a long way to go to get to Constitutional Carry of handguns in Texas. Hopefully Charles will be successful in his endeavors with the NRA in the 2015 Legislature. Personally I would not OC but having OC'd firearms down main street as a kid and growing up with guns in my closet, guns in the window of my truck in the school parking lot, as well as my children having their guns in their closets, a guy in Wal-Mart with an AR strapped on his back doesn't bother or concern me in the least, unless he's shooting at me.

Free Men don't need permission to Bear Arms.

So do we Texans have a place to send money for NRA Texas efforts? I don't want one penny of my donation leaving Texas and ending up in New Jersey...
Sorry, but the guy in Walmart with the AR does bother me. Why? Because he is crying out for attention and people who cry out for attention eventually do irrational things. Please don't tell me it has anything to do with 2A enlightenment because it doesn't. There are much better ways to do that than walk thru Walmart causing a scene. This guy is a bomb waiting to go off.
Even if he never goes off, he is doing nothing to help get Real OC passed in Texas and doing everything to get what we do have taken away.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think Oklahoma is a great example and we could learn from them how they have accomplished OC with very little issues. We were also behind OK in getting our parking lot bill passed. I haven't heard or don't remember where OK is on campus carry, but it would be nice to be ahead of them for a change if they still don't prohibit public universities from prohibiting CC on the campus and in the buildings. I do think that we are at somewhat of an advantage here in Texas over many other states because most other states prohibit CC in city or state government buildings, while Texas does not.

The other problem, as I see it, in comparing the efforts in TX to get OC versus other states is that many other states never really lost that right. For many of those states people have just been discouraged so much that hardly anyone openly carries much anyway. We are always talking about a right not exercised is a right lost. Well, we lost the right to openly carry here in TX and it isn't easy to get lost rights back.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nightmare69 »

OCT has started a chapter in my county and is making the news. I just hope that everyone plays nice and no one ends up on YouTube.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mgood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mgood »

Beiruty wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:How do some states have OC and it apparently works just fine.
They have Less large cities? For example, such as Vermont, NH and Alaska
I think at least some (maybe most?) of the states where open carry is legal, it was never illegal.

JR's 12 Valve wrote:When I'm out on the ranch it's my preferred method of carry, but I do not like the idea of openly carrying in town.

I gave it a go in Oklahoma, and I did not like it whatsoever. Just imagine walking down the street and having EVERYBODY look at you. I personally don't like being stared at wherever I walk.
After about 20 minutes I went and got my coat out of the truck.

I don't care for it in town, but I think folks should go ahead and do it if they get a wild hair.
I had similar experience in New Mexico. I open carried every day in the gun store where I worked. If I left work to go run an errand, I often open carried just because I already had it on in my OWB rig and it was too warm to put on a jacket. I got the stares, and often questions. I prefer to carry concealed and remain discreet. But it's nice to know that if I need to make a quick stop to buy some snacks or gas, I don't have to cover up if it's not convenient.

Right2Carry wrote:I support the choice to open carry but do not support the tactics that are being used by some of the OC folks. I would rather see legislation passed that gives CHLers the right to carry everywhere a LEO can carry passed then OC passing.
:iagree:

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I believe that, unless you are prohibited from possessing firearms for some reason, one should be able to carry any gun he chooses in whatever way he sees fit...constitutional carry so to speak. But, by saying 'any gun he chooses', I mean exactly that...any gun. NFA needs to go away as well as any kind of license requirement for the carry of anything. Aside from due process determining you shouldn't carry a gun, it must be assumed you can.

In the long run, it would be easier to just go the whole nine yards from the get go rather than the small steps. Like driving a nail...rather than 'tap tap tap' with a 14oz hammer, give it one good shot with the 28oz hammer and be done. Either way, society (the wood) has to alter itself to accept the nail (constitutional carry). The end result will be the same...the wood will never have to yield a hole any bigger than the nail.

It will all regulate itself if given a chance. Take NFA for example...get rid of it and the guns will self-regulate. Folks will scream about how just anyone can buy an M-60 machine gun. And I say, "so?". If Joe Schmo wants to spend $10k on an M-60, let him. He has to be able to afford to feed the dang thing before it matters...and at $500/min in triggertime, it will regulate itself.

The whole process will not be without pain and that's where the gun control people cause problems. Just like a nail that has to be driven by force by repeated impacts with a steel hammer, the move to constitutional carry will have it's growing pains. Once the nail is flush, nobody will worry about it. Making people understand about the growing pains is the problem.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”