CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ahtoxa
Posts in topic: 1

Clarification on CC and school property

Post by ahtoxa »

Hey all.

I have a question about CC a firearm through a school field. I know that per the law, you cannot carry on the premises of a school or an educational facility, but does that include the school's backyard/field when there are no events going on? I know that during events it would be illeagal

as per law:
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
any grounds or building on w hich an activity sponsored by a s chool or
educational institution is being conducted
The scenario:

I walk my dog in the morning and evening, and both routes take me through a school parking lot and then through the school's soccer field back to my neighborhood. I want to make sure whether I can or cannot CC there, or whether the law refers to premises as the building itself.

Thanks!

C-dub

Re: Clarification on CC and school property

Post by C-dub »

You're okay. And as you mentioned, as long as there isn't some school function going on, like soccer practice or band practice or something else, then you're good to carry.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

And carry some dog poop bags, nothing ruins a soccer match faster than finding out the field has doggie land mines. :mrgreen:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

ahtoxa wrote:Hey all.

whether the law refers to premises as the building itself.

Thanks!
That section defines premises as a building or portion of a building. ;)
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

sammeow

Post by sammeow »

CC with TX CHL I hope.

howdy

Post by howdy »

As you can see by the law, it specifically states "parking lot",so you should be OK walking across the parking lot. The law does not specifically state what a school sponsored function is. We can all speculate what it means but that is all we are doing. This is what I think would happen if you walked across our local Elementary school grounds area. If you were seen by a staff member, they would report it to the front office as a stranger on campus, and they in turn (for the safety of the children...said with sarcasm) would call the school district police. They would have your discription along with the fact you have a dog, and they would stop you to have a chat. They'd ask for ID.... you give DL along with CHL, and you make the front page of the local paper along with the lead story on the nightly news. You might beat the charges, but it will cost you tons of money and lots of embarrassment.

I walk my dog every day past this local school. I am armed with my Glock or my LCP. I have lived in this subdivision for 35 years, substitute at this school, most of the staff knows me and my Daughter teaches there. I would not walk across the school grounds with school in session even if I was unarmed.

The older I get, the more conservative I get. You are out for a walk and your dog is loving it. Go just a little farther and avoid a potential hassle.

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The
term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk
or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”