Why exactly does Texas not have open carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Why exactly does Texas not have open carry?

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jason K wrote:
Beiruty wrote: No one is stalking what is next and we should push at least 1 or 2 big issues that do matter and make a difference.
How about reducing the fee from $140 to $70 or less? It would be a great way to increase the CHL holder numbers. It would also appeal to voters & politicians of the "lower taxes" platform.
What normally happens, especially at the federal level, when taxes are cut, fees are raised. Yes, lower cost would probably result in higher numbers of CHL. However, the state does not necessarilty consider CHL as a right so you must pay a fee for a service. The service is allowing you a license to exercise what we hold as a right.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

Jason K wrote:
Beiruty wrote: No one is stalking what is next and we should push at least 1 or 2 big issues that do matter and make a difference.
How about reducing the fee from $140 to $70 or less? It would be a great way to increase the CHL holder numbers. It would also appeal to voters & politicians of the "lower taxes" platform.
You can always sign up for the military or become a LEO to get it at a lower fee....sorry, I couldn't resist! :biggrinjester:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fickman »

My response to the original question is multifaceted:
1. We have to admit that Texas is not as conservative as we want it to be, the nation perceives it to be, or many other states e.g. Oklahoma actually are.

2. There is a cognitive dissonance in a major subset of conservatives (largely, in my experience, in the suburbs) who support the principle of the 2A until it starts to be implemented where they can see it. In other words, they are in favor of "gun rights" philosophically but start backpedaling and grow concerned if anybody they know actually wants to buy or - even more shockingly - carry a gun.

3. The true 2A advocates are split. Some CC-only folks are happy with the status quo and fear a backlash of increased public awareness of citizens with guns. Some prefer CC tactically and therefore oppose OC as a matter of pragmatism. That is to say, the current freedom they enjoy satisfies them and they have no motivation to see somebody else exercise the same right differently.

At the end of the day, the politically motivated 2Aers are a minority. When they're split into factions, they have even less influence. As Chas said, we don't have OC because there's simply not enough people loudly calling for it.
Native Texian

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

txglock21 wrote:
Jason K wrote:
You can always sign up for the military or become a LEO to get it at a lower fee....sorry, I couldn't resist! :biggrinjester:
I'm prior military so my CHL fee comes out to $5 a year. The wife pays full price.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

jmra wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
Jason K wrote:
I'm prior military so my CHL fee comes out to $5 a year. The wife pays full price.
Same here. :patriot:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

jmra

Post by jmra »

txglock21 wrote:
jmra wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
Jason K wrote:
Same here. :patriot:
:patriot:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jason K »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Jason K wrote:
What normally happens, especially at the federal level, when taxes are cut, fees are raised. Yes, lower cost would probably result in higher numbers of CHL. However, the state does not necessarilty consider CHL as a right so you must pay a fee for a service. The service is allowing you a license to exercise what we hold as a right.

Anygunanywhere
And this illustrates exactly why we need to get the CHL fee lowered. Maybe we can raise the poll taxes to make up the difference.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 3

Post by locke_n_load »

Any fees higher than $0.00 are unConstitutional!!!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

jmra

Post by jmra »

locke_n_load wrote:Any fees higher than $0.00 are unConstitutional!!!
Not according to the people wearing the robes.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

jmra wrote:
I know I know... maybe one day...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

txnative1951

Post by txnative1951 »

anygunanywhere wrote:What normally happens, especially at the federal level, when taxes are cut, fees are raised. Yes, lower cost would probably result in higher numbers of CHL. However, the state does not necessarilty consider CHL as a right so you must pay a fee for a service. The service is allowing you a license to exercise what we hold as a right.
Whether it is at the state level or at the federal level, the government has an amount that they *think* that they need to operate. They will get that money one way or another. For states that do not have an income tax (like Texas), they get it from property taxes. People don't like to hear that the property tax rate is going up, so the state / county will just *say* that your property is now worth more than it was last year. That makes it so that instead of having a widespread group of people complaining about the increase in the tax rate, you have people either just accepting the government's claim that their property has increased in value or them protesting to the tax office and having to show proof that the value of their property has not increased. Some states have a lower property tax rate, but their housing prices are ridiculously inflated. Some states have a low property tax rate and low housing prices, but they have a state income tax. One way or another, they are going to get your money.

The government does not understand the concept of decreasing their spending. Personally, I think that it should all be tied to a sales tax. If the government improves the economy, people will spend more. If the government tanks the economy, then people will spend less. This gives the government incentive to improve the economy.

By voting for legislators, we are in fact *hiring* people to run the country. Is it unreasonable to expect these people to be fiscally responsible with our money?

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Why doesn't Texas have open carry today? Two words: Joe Strauss.
:iagree: It's the same reason we don't have campus carry.

Based on the likely outcome of the elections this year, we won't get either until 9/1/2017 at the earliest.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Greg Abbot, the Republican primary winner for the Governor's office on the General Election ballot, was on Facebook this morning doing a live question and answer session.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the questions asked was about his position on open carry in Texas. he responded that he supports open carry and will work towards that if he is elected Governor.

I would still carry concealed, but an open carry option would be good for those who choose to carry that way.

Sure hope he wins and becomes Governor of the Lone Star State !

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

jmra wrote:
They're so committed to the precedence of praising the Emperor's New Laws that they can't admit what's obvious to every honest person who reads the Constitution.
ABIDE

jmra

Post by jmra »

The Dude wrote:
jmra wrote:
They're so committed to the precedence of praising the Emperor's New Laws that they can't admit what's obvious to every honest person who reads the Constitution.
:iagree:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”