CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: My life could have changed in a second

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Keith B wrote:
jbarn wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: She apparently liked getting pummeled.
She doesn't. There is a psychosis with battered women. It is a very, very sad situation.
:iagree: There are those who take the beatings because they have been beat into submission to believing they either deserved it, or they have an inferiority complex and they think they are totally dependent on the man and can't afford to leave him, etc. There are also those who are so afraid to leave because of retaliation, up to and including the 'if you leave me I will kill you' part.

On the other side of the coin, I have been on domestic abuse calls where the woman calls in to have police arrive, they go to arrest the husband and the wife starts yelling 'don't take him to jail. He didn't mean it. I won't press cahrges.... I was even attacked by a wife when I went to put cuffs on the husband after she had been beat black and blue by him 10 minutes earlier. Both of them ended up going to jail.

A domestic dispute is probably one of the worst things you can get in the middle of period. Unless he is literally killing her or she is at risk of death or serious bodily injury at the time, it's best to just call the police, be a good witness and let them handle the situation.
I agree with you folks. I was being sarcastic. Sorry if it seemed as if I really believed she liked being beat on. I know many women feel trapped in these situations. There has also been associations between child abuse, sexual or physical and women who allow themselves to be abused. It is actually very sad. We do free HVAC for an abused women's shelter in our area. The location and name is so protected, we are not to put anything on the invoice that might make finding them easy. These woman and children have been terrorized by their husbands/fathers. It is a hiding place for them to build the strength to fight back.

Topic author
TEXASGIANT

Post by TEXASGIANT »

WOW!
Thanks for all of the votes of confidence. I hope I didn't mislead anyone, please don't think me more noble than I am. I just wanted the noise to go away. I guess after so many years of being in charge and stuff and putting myself in the middle of whatever is in front of me. I sometimes forget that there are other ways to handle things than just wade in chest deep and take care of business. I loathe people trying to intimidate me.
Now I wonder if at some point in the (I hope) very far future, I do have to engage someone in the worst case, would all of this that has now been rendered to the WWW which never forgets anything doom me in a grand jury?
Just for the sake of discussion. Why does the law require that we have to claim fear? Must we walk around afraid? Is it so difficult as a society to admit that some things that people want to do to others requires a particular response, without fear, remorse or hesitation.
I pray that in the future I can demonstrate better restraint and leave these things to the guys that get paid to thump on knuckleheads for me. Because no matter the outcome he ain't worth the trouble.
I am just a simple soldier, I have to much honor to be a politician and there are no statesmen left.

jlrockboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jlrockboy »

This reminded me of a similar situation that happened 24 years ago in front of our house. It was like 2 am, a woman was beating on our front door, yelling and screaming help me. My family had just moved in to the house, I had the wife call 911 and I turned on the porch lights. The guy drove off and the cops showed up about 2 minutes later. Then the cops questioned me than the women. The patrol man came back to the house and said " this couple have a fight once a week, we just arrested the guy last week, the bad guy had just got out of jail this afternoon". You can not win in a domestic fight, some women for what ever reason, think this is as good as they are going to get. An keep going back for more. It is great you step in but that is as much as I would ever do after my 2 am call some 24 years ago. Call the cops, stay alert, and if the Bad guy comes toward me, take the necessary steps to protect myself and family.

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jlrockboy wrote:It is great you step in but that is as much as I would ever do after my 2 am call some 24 years ago. Call the cops, stay alert, and if the Bad guy comes toward me, take the necessary steps to protect myself and family.
This.

I can't quote statistics about the number of murders that are related to domestic violence, but I'm sure they are significant. And [too many] victims just keep "going back for more" so IMO to get involved in any way in strangers' domestic disputes will always be a losing proposition.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TEXASGIANT wrote:WOW!

Just for the sake of discussion. Why does the law require that we have to claim fear? Must we walk around afraid? Is it so difficult as a society to admit that some things that people want to do to others requires a particular response, without fear, remorse or hesitation.
I pray that in the future I can demonstrate better restraint and leave these things to the guys that get paid to thump on knuckleheads for me. Because no matter the outcome he ain't worth the trouble.
"Fear" is a common misunderstanding in the law. Fear is not mentioned in the law. The media loves to use the phrase "in fear of his life" when describing why someone used deadly force. I have even heard LE spokepersons use the phrase. However, being in fear is not a justification, nor a requirment, for a justification of deadly force.

The code is clear when deadly force is justified; to prevent the other person's use or attempted us of unlawful deadly force, or to prevent the imminent commission of murder, aggravated kidnapping, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery and aggravated robbery. No mention is made of being afraid or in fear of your life. You might be in fear of your life when one of those things are happening, but the fear is not your justification. A SEAL/Delta tier 1 operator who has seen action might not "feel" fear if someone tried to rob him with a gun, but that lack of fear does not remove his justification for using deadly force to defend himself.

Even in property crimes fear is not required.

A little story to illustrate why being in fear of your life should not be a justification: if you ever ride in a car with my sister......you will be if fear of your life. :???:

Defending a third person has the same requirments. :cheers2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
TEXASGIANT

Post by TEXASGIANT »

jbarn wrote:

"Fear" is a common misunderstanding in the law. Fear is not mentioned in the law. The media loves to use the phrase "in fear of his life" when describing why someone used deadly force. I have even heard LE spokepersons use the phrase. However, being in fear is not a justification, nor a requirment, for a justification of deadly force.

The code is clear when deadly force is justified; to prevent the other person's use or attempted us of unlawful deadly force, or to prevent the imminent commission of murder, aggravated kidnapping, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery and aggravated robbery. No mention is made of being afraid or in fear of your life. You might be in fear of your life when one of those things are happening, but the fear is not your justification. A SEAL/Delta tier 1 operator who has seen action might not "feel" fear if someone tried to rob him with a gun, but that lack of fear does not remove his justification for using deadly force to defend himself.

A little story to illustrate why being in fear of your life should not be a justification: if you ever ride in a car with my sister......you will be if fear of your life. :???:

WOW! Thanks but that's what an Asst. DA said when he told me they weren't going with the Terroristic threat but disorderly instead. It makes me no never mind but he also said that when the "COME AND GET SOME " Goes back and forth, it becomes mutual. I don't want to have to explain why I told him to come on and then did him. It is kind of a contradiction, I guess.
I am just a simple soldier, I have to much honor to be a politician and there are no statesmen left.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

TEXASGIANT wrote:I can't believe they didn't park the cruiser on top of him.
Terrible tactic to roll into the middle of an unknown situation. Parking where they did allowed them to plan their ingress, and have somewhat of a place to retreat and deploy things like bean bags or rifles if needed.

I've seen a good deal of LEOs lately with slopped tactics. It is a pet peeve of mine.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TEXASGIANT wrote:
jbarn wrote:

WOW! Thanks but that's what an Asst. DA said when he told me they weren't going with the Terroristic threat but disorderly instead. It makes me no never mind but he also said that when the "COME AND GET SOME " Goes back and forth, it becomes mutual. I don't want to have to explain why I told him to come on and then did him. It is kind of a contradiction, I guess.
My comments were in regards to deadly force and its justifications, not offenses committed by others. .....My apologies, I must have misunderstood your question.

Fear IS a component of Terroristic Threats.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Maybe you should offer a beer summit?

:cheers2:

Sparky3131

Post by Sparky3131 »

I was in a situation similar to this on Surfside beach a few years back. A guy started slapping his lady friend around, I called the cops but they took about 25 minutes to arrive.eventually I had to step in to stop it because it got so bad. It was definitely the last resort though. He was a big guy and I wasn't about to physically get between them. I just hollered that the cops were on their way and that was about all it took. He started cleaning their stuff up trying to get out of there. When the cops got there she told me I needed to mind my own business. :confused5
A man who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

Always carry a big dog to a gunfight.
TX CHL 1997

Topic author
TEXASGIANT

Post by TEXASGIANT »

rdcrags wrote:Always carry a big dog to a gunfight.
You got that. He is huge and he does turn ham bones to powder but I really can't see him hurting anyone. I know, famous last words. He is a Newfoundland, I can see him backing up and demanding his bottom being scratched then he will sit down in their lap and break their legs. His bark sounds like thunder, as a matter of fact he and is brother are pulling the grand kids on a cart in the pet parade for Mardi Gras this weekend on Seawall in Galveston.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”