Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Taurus.40
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Went to a posted place tonight.....

Post by Taurus.40 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jbarn wrote:
Taurus.40 wrote:and went in any ways. It was a movie theater. They had the correct verbiage on the sign but the letters were only 1/2" tall. I almost put my gun back in the car but figured I would chance it. Other people do the samething I presume? Or go else where?
I do not doubt you at all, but I am curious how you know the letters were 1/2" tall? Eyeball, measuring tape (had a renewal student once tell me he did that often ), etc...
I'll bet it was AMC.

Here is one I saw at an AMC. Notice the letters are about the width of my finger and it is on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

[ Image ]
It was at Hollywood Theaters. I'm not sure who owns them. Turn your sign sideways and add the gunbuster symbol on it and you get the picture of how small the letters were.
NRA member

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockDude26 »

Grillmark55 wrote:
Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:
Grillmark55 wrote: I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
that is exactly the problem, why do we have to PERSUADE anybody that we HAVE RIGHTS?????
I agree with you 100% - we shouldn't have to fight to keep what has already been given to us - and defended with blood and precious lives. Unfortunately, there are too many simple-minded people in Washington and State Governments who are afraid of guns, and their message - as wrong and hateful as it is - is getting out and persuading people that guns, and honest people with guns, are evil. Why add fuel to their fire?

It still puzzles me (sort of) that NOT ONE of these trolls in DC or New York or California has the guts to stand up and say that gangs and ILLEGAL gun possession is the problem and that keeping guns in the hands of RESPONSIBLE gun owners IS a solution. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
thats true, and after reading it again it may have come off as jumping on you and that wasn't my intent. the intent was trying to state an obvious problem. They will never admit the REAL problems in society that need to be tackled because that isn't their intent. guns themselves are only a small portion to do with the big picture. they want to control society as a whole with 100% gubberment.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The sign does not meet the legal criteria. It might as well be a gun buster sign. I walk right past it.

Grillmark55
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grillmark55 »

Grillmark55 wrote:
Grillmark55 wrote: I know that there are plenty of people who like to be "in your face" with their gun rights, but in gun-grabbing climate these days, I don't see that as an affective argument for persuading gun-grabbers that we have the right to bear arms.
that is exactly the problem, why do we have to PERSUADE anybody that we HAVE RIGHTS?????
I agree with you 100% - we shouldn't have to fight to keep what has already been given to us - and defended with blood and precious lives. Unfortunately, there are too many simple-minded people in Washington and State Governments who are afraid of guns, and their message - as wrong and hateful as it is - is getting out and persuading people that guns, and honest people with guns, are evil. Why add fuel to their fire?

It still puzzles me (sort of) that NOT ONE of these trolls in DC or New York or California has the guts to stand up and say that gangs and ILLEGAL gun possession is the problem and that keeping guns in the hands of RESPONSIBLE gun owners IS a solution. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
thats true, and after reading it again it may have come off as jumping on you and that wasn't my intent. the intent was trying to state an obvious problem. They will never admit the REAL problems in society that need to be tackled because that isn't their intent. guns themselves are only a small portion to do with the big picture. they want to control society as a whole with 100% gubberment.
:iagree: :tiphat:
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

SkipB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SkipB »

I agree with Grillmark55. There things we need to get going in our favor like Corps Lakes ect and pushing against a lawful warning not to carry doesn't help. I will either avoid or disarm in places that post 30.06. Our rights are governed by our law makers. Our leverage is with the right person in office.
Skip Bishop

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:The sign does not meet the legal criteria. It might as well be a gun buster sign. I walk right past it.
It could get quite expensive arguing legalities vs. intent. AFAIK, all ETMC medical facilities are posted with large signs in both languages; however, the letters appear less than 1" tall. While not technically legal, there is no mistaking ETMC's intent.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:The sign does not meet the legal criteria. It might as well be a gun buster sign. I walk right past it.
It could get quite expensive arguing legalities vs. intent. AFAIK, all ETMC medical facilities are posted with large signs in both languages; however, the letters appear less than 1" tall. While not technically legal, there is no mistaking ETMC's intent.
As you have posted many times... Concealed means Concealed. Your concern won't be an issue unless I need it. ;-) As for intentions, they would take the time to research and post the correct signage if they were talking to CHL holders.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

My question is, if a business is making an attempt at a valid 30.06 sign, but it's the wrong size and you carry past it, would you hesitate if you find yourself in need of using deadly force? Would you think, "I better not shoot this guy because I might go for a ride in a police car"?
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
As you have posted many times... Concealed means Concealed. Your concern won't be an issue unless I need it. ;-) As for intentions, they would take the time to research and post the correct signage if they were talking to CHL holders.
You may have mistook comment for concern? You are correct, concealed is concealed. Heck, I unthinkingly wore mine into the Post Office the other day when I returned an air rifle to the seller. Lights didn't flash nor did sirens go off and nobody knew....including me. :oops:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Some time back a mention was made that a quarter is almost 1" and could be used as a fast check of letter size. In other words, the letter should be a little bigger than a quarter.

There was also a post that argued if the wording of a 30.06 was printed on the back of your movie ticket you had been given effective notice. So I guess if you are given written notice in microprint on a ticket stub you can't carry but if the sign letters are less than an inch you can.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
You may have mistook comment for concern? You are correct, concealed is concealed. Heck, I unthinkingly wore mine into the Post Office the other day when I returned an air rifle to the seller. Lights didn't flash nor did sirens go off and nobody knew....including me. :oops:
A couple years back I was standing in the front entrance to the court house for a jury duty call. Seeing the metal detector was all that reminded me I was about to make huge mistake. I made a hasty trip to my truck. It is real darned easy to forget I have it. But then again, I have walked around the office looking for my glasses while wearing them on my head.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

jbarn wrote:
Taurus.40 wrote:and went in any ways. It was a movie theater. They had the correct verbiage on the sign but the letters were only 1/2" tall. I almost put my gun back in the car but figured I would chance it. Other people do the samething I presume? Or go else where?
I do not doubt you at all, but I am curious how you know the letters were 1/2" tall? Eyeball, measuring tape (had a renewal student once tell me he did that often ), etc...
Just pull out a .45 case & compare to the size of the letters! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; = .898" tall.

Everyone carries a .45 right?
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I would ignore the non-notice sign if I was on a hot date. Otherwise I would go home and watch Netflix. Maybe that's not a bad idea for hot dates too come to think of it. :mrgreen:

Topic author
Taurus.40
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Taurus.40 »

I didn't have my cell phone or I would have taken a picture. I wouldn't have hesitated to use it if the need would've presented itself. I'll take a jury over a casket.
NRA member

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

A theater we go to on occasion had moved their 30.06 sigh to eye level but it was still too small to be compliant. I had a short discussion with the manager on duty and he told me that "Since the incident in Colorado all theaters are posting signs."

Wasn't the theater in Aurora posted no guns allowed...? :roll:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”