Off duty request for ID

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skaven
Posts in topic: 10

Off duty request for ID

Post by Skaven »

Ok, I am curious if it is required for me to produce identification upon request of an off-duty LEO who is working as a security guard.

To clarify, there was a misunderstanding, and an off duty LEO (had shoulder patches ID'ing his department, no badge on, open carry) instructed me to produce identification so he could check for wants/warrants. I didn't really want to make a scene, and honestly I don't want to be a jerk to a LEO who is just trying to be safe. I produced without any sort of resistance because I wasn't sure and honestly did not want the guy to have a negative connotation with me as the confusion was sorted out. Also, I was not carrying at the time, so I didn't produce my CHL. 5 minutes of conversation later we are all on our way with no problems.

As far as the interaction with the LEO, he was very professional, polite, and respectful, so I want to make sure he gets praise for that.

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off duty request for ID

Post by CHLLady »

If he's acting as a security guard capacity, it seems over the call of his job duties. Where were you entering?
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

I was sitting in my car on the cell phone outside of a business. I had gone in to speak with the supervisor about an issue I had, the supervisor flew off the handle and threw me out of the store. I left the building immediately, but sat in my car outside on the phone talking to their corporate office to file a complaint. The parking lot was public and not owned by the business.

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

Did he suspect you were involved in criminal activity? Seems like that is the first question most of the open carry guys ask when an officer wants to see ID. I would more than likely give an officer my ID wether I had to or not because ultimately he can find out who I am anyway.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

Her reason for throwing me out was because I was yelling. I recorded the whole interaction, and I never raised my voice once.

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

jmra wrote:Did he suspect you were involved in criminal activity? Seems like that is the first question most of the open carry guys ask when an officer wants to see ID. I would more than likely give an officer my ID wether I had to or not because ultimately he can find out who I am anyway.
I am sure that the lady who called him said I was up to no good. But she embellished quite a bit based on his explanation of what she said I did.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

I *think* that the legal issue is one of authority and jurisdiction. The authority runs 24/7/365 within the jurisdiction.
There are only two sub-questions that I can think of that might make a difference:
1) Departmental policy.
2) Context around when can an officer demand ID. If you were in a private venue, the management could simply require it if you were wanting to stay. If the "misunderstanding" is of possible criminal nature, then you might have been party to an investigation, in which case the LEO can demand ID.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Skaven wrote:
jmra wrote:Did he suspect you were involved in criminal activity? Seems like that is the first question most of the open carry guys ask when an officer wants to see ID. I would more than likely give an officer my ID wether I had to or not because ultimately he can find out who I am anyway.
I am sure that the lady who called him said I was up to no good. But she embellished quite a bit based on his explanation of what she said I did.
I'd say refusing to show ID just escalates the situation and lends credibility in the eyes of the officer to her story. Showing him that you were a rational law abiding citizen does just the opposite.
Did he ask you to leave the area? Or did he say thanks, have a nice day?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

cb1000rider wrote:I *think* that the legal issue is one of authority and jurisdiction. The authority runs 24/7/365 within the jurisdiction.
There are only two sub-questions that I can think of that might make a difference:
1) Departmental policy.
2) Context around when can an officer demand ID. If you were in a private venue, the management could simply require it if you were wanting to stay. If the "misunderstanding" is of possible criminal nature, then you might have been party to an investigation, in which case the LEO can demand ID.
The misunderstanding was that I went in to request a refund. The manager didn't like it, got mad, and threw me out.

The officer referred to it as a "disturbance", as the manager alleged I raised my voice (again according to the recording, I didn't)

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

jmra wrote:
Skaven wrote:
I'd say refusing to show ID just escalates the situation and lends credibility in the eyes of the officer to her story. Showing him that you were a rational law abiding citizen does just the opposite.
He didn't ask me to leave. He told me I was completely within my rights to stay right where I was. I left anyways because there was no reason for me to stay beyond irritating the manager.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Skaven wrote:
jmra wrote:
Skaven wrote:
He didn't ask me to leave. He told me I was completely within my rights to stay right where I was. I left anyways because there was no reason for me to stay beyond irritating the manager.
Sounds like a good encounter and an officer confirming that the woman was a crackpot.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

jmra wrote:
Skaven wrote:
jmra wrote:
Skaven wrote:
Sounds like a good encounter and an officer confirming that the woman was a crackpot.

Yeah the guy was really nice. Thanks all.
Last edited by Skaven on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Skaven wrote:
jmra wrote:
Skaven wrote:
which....is probably why I probably would have stayed, at least for a round or two of candy crush :biggrinjester: I'm horrid, I admit it
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Skaven wrote:
I'm missing something here. Where was he and how did she call him? Was he working at the establishment you visited? If I had left as requested and was in a public parking lot inside my car, I'm not sure I would have cooperated with the LEO working security unless he was a witness to something actionable. I'd be back on the phone to corporate while the LEO was present to report their employee. If the LEO says it's within his duties and authorization while off duty I'd point out that the manager made a false report and he'd be duty bound to investigate her, especially since you recorded it. I may be completely off base, but that's my opinion
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bulinm
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bulinm »

Since he was not wearing a badge, I might have asked for HIS ID.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”