Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Carry at holiday parties

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I am perplexed by the guilt some seem to feel about carrying. It is OK. You have the gubermints approval. Why feel guilty??? I really don't get the question. It is simply weird! Concealed means concealed! It makes me wonder if some feel like they are a "special" class of people. How the heck would anyone know we are carrying? Are we stupid enough or brash enough to run around bragging about it as if it makes us tough? Did you tell everyone that would listen you have a gun on you? It is suppose to be secret....concealed. The whole thing is simply confusing to me. Please explain how your friends acquired x-ray vision. I want it. Last but not least, why is it "safer" in the house of a friend than in a mall? You don't feel the need to carry 24/7? please enlighten me as to how I will know ahead of time when my firearm is needed. I would love to pick and choose when I carry. Bad guys show up at all places! :tiphat:
I don't care about the government in this context. I do care if I am in another person's house. :tiphat:
How would they know?
Is your rule with your friends based not upon mutual respect but whether you'll be caught?

I'm fine if others carry in others houses, but this comment strikes me as a bit narcissistic.
Last edited by Cedar Park Dad on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 30

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I am perplexed by the guilt some seem to feel about carrying. It is OK. You have the gubermints approval. Why feel guilty??? I really don't get the question. It is simply weird! Concealed means concealed! It makes me wonder if some feel like they are a "special" class of people. How the heck would anyone know we are carrying? Are we stupid enough or brash enough to run around bragging about it as if it makes us tough? Did you tell everyone that would listen you have a gun on you? It is suppose to be secret....concealed. The whole thing is simply confusing to me. Please explain how your friends acquired x-ray vision. I want it. Last but not least, why is it "safer" in the house of a friend than in a mall? You don't feel the need to carry 24/7? please enlighten me as to how I will know ahead of time when my firearm is needed. I would love to pick and choose when I carry. Bad guys show up at all places! :tiphat:
I don't care about the government in this context. I do care if I am in another person's house. :tiphat:
How would they know?
Is your rule with your friends based not upon mutual respect but whether you'll be caught?
My rule is to not feel guilty about carrying a firearm. Respect has nothing to do with it. Unless I believed I was doing something inherently threatening or wrong, I feel no need to divulge what I am doing in any situation. You ask the question as if you are on a higher plain than I. Believe me, I am every bit as honorable as you. Maybe more so. :tiphat:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
How would they know?
My rule is to not feel guilty about carrying a firearm. Respect has nothing to do with it. Unless I believed I was doing something inherently threatening or wrong, I feel no need to divulge what I am doing in any situation. You ask the question as if you are on a higher plain than I. Believe me, I am every bit as honorable as you. Maybe more so. :tiphat:
UH OH....

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
How would they know?
My rule is to not feel guilty about carrying a firearm. Respect has nothing to do with it. Unless I believed I was doing something inherently threatening or wrong, I feel no need to divulge what I am doing in any situation.
That I understand. Thank you for the clarification.
You ask the question as if you are on a higher plain than I. Believe me, I am every bit as honorable as you. Maybe more so. :tiphat:
Seriously? Lets discuss things like an adult shall we?

03Lightningrocks

You have got to be kidding me. It was you that resorted to childish insults. We are done here. You obviously feel guilty about carrying concealed and I obviously don't. It is OK.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:You have got to be kidding me. It was you that resorted to childish insults. We are done here. You obviously feel guilty about carrying concealed and I obviously don't. It is OK.
I said your comment sounded a tad narcissistic as your sole factor seemed to be whether they knew or not. You still haven't expressed any other concern here, despite the fact its the actual topic being discussed. I could see now that that could be taken as an insult and I apologize. Then you project besmirching of honor, then you project others feeling guilty. Thats a lot of projecting. Lets just both take a breath eh and mellow out and go back to the topic. :lol:

To my concern over carrying in someone's house and why I am torn on the issue. For people that know I carry...no biggie. For people that don't, well we always left the firearms at the door if we came in from hunting or shooting. It bothers me to not follow custom. I don't mind if others don't in this situation, and it doesn't apply in public, but I am not yet reconciled about the issue in a person's home, uninvited in that manner.
Part of it is that I am not sure how I would react. My other gun buddies - no problem. Others, I'm not sure how I'd react. Daughter's boyfriend? Well they have no right to exist in the first place...

03Lightningrocks

I understand what you are saying. Good enough for me. We all have to make our own decisions and there are many different personal experiences we all have that influence how and why we make them. :cheers2:

By the way... we always left the rifles unloaded but in the cabin. My Sako would not like sitting outside in the cold. :mrgreen: We also had a rule that there will be no fiddling around with firearms. We did keep our handguns loaded but again, no fiddling around! So my experiences in life always involved keeping my personal defense weapon loaded.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I understand what you are saying. Good enough for me. We all have to make our own decisions and there are many different personal experiences we all have that influence how and why we make them. :cheers2:
Agreed on all counts. :cheers2:

Lets swing it around slightly. To the group, if you're the one hosting a Christmas party would you have an issue with others CHLing? Would drinking be a factor?

03Lightningrocks

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I understand what you are saying. Good enough for me. We all have to make our own decisions and there are many different personal experiences we all have that influence how and why we make them. :cheers2:

Lets swing it around slightly. To the group, if you're the one hosting a Christmas party would you have an issue with others CHLing? Would drinking be a factor?
Honestly, I would not think about it. If I saw a drunk pulling a firearm out, I would "butt stroke" him. ;-)

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Not one bit as long as all guns remain holstered/secured. Drinking wouldn't be a factor as I don't drink, most of my friends don't drink, and I don't serve alcohol in my home.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Honestly, I would not think about it. If I saw a drunk pulling a firearm out, I would "butt stroke" him. ;-)
Careful, if the drunk is a she and you did that, your Wife might be displeased... :lol:
Agreed though.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

We go to few parties and while there may be alcohol served to adults, it is not served to drunks - armed or unarmed.

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WinoVeritas »

I carry wherever I go legally, but was very sure to this past Thanksgiving at relatives house, mainly because we have a mental case relative with a very irrationally hot temper and lots of guns that may possibly go berserk at the drop of a hat. Thankfully he never showed. I don't ask, don't tell - and would leave if by chance someone discovered and was uncomfortable.

Topic author
Jihans
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jihans »

A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EEllis »

Jihans wrote:A lot of these posts deal in absolutes when there are some gray areas. For example, if I know a relative doesn't like guns I won't carry in their house. Even though they didn't say anything verbally, my knowing their position strikes me as getting notice..... I know not legally.... But I think morally I have to respect that when I go to their house. Or I can chose not to go of course. I'm sure others think differently but I think this can be a gray area. As much as I think anti gun people should respect my right to carry I think I should also consider their feelings when entering their house.
:iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”