CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got Over Fear of Carry with One down the Pipe

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

nyj wrote:
jayinsat wrote:
docbrazos wrote:Glocks were made to carry cocked and one in the pipe. Safety rule One, don't put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot something. Around the house and even in town I carry without a holster. No Offense but "Mexican carry". Just stuff it in my pants IWB. I'm not going to try to work the slide to "load" the pistol in an emergency! By all means NEVER carry if your uncomfortable in your gun. Of coarse I carry a 1911 in condition 1 the same way!
:shock: :shock: to each his own. You're a braver man than most!
I want to hope he was being sarcastic, but I don't think he was. What he is doing is just plain stupid.
Yeah... I am not so much in favor of "Mexican carry". It is a good way to have a negligent discharge. I said negligent because I consider carrying in this manner unsafe and very avoidable. :tiphat:

Topic author
mikebass78
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mikebass78 »

G26ster wrote:
mikebass78 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
mikebass78 wrote:Table top Flat ( CHL Instructor, Made us qualify this way )
What does that mean?
This

[ Image ]
OK, I'm confused.

a) None of those targets replicate the CHL qualification target.
b) How can a CHL instructor tell you what sight picture you "must" use?
He was talking about sight picture. When they lined up like that its creates a "flat" top. Not the target. A couple people asked about different guns and where to aim etc....no one wanted to fail I guess, no one wants to get up there and miss everything.

I think he was helping out, not being forceful and demanding. Just answering questions. He said if you go table top flat, you should be fine, was his exact answer.

If we are here, I imagine we all know what a chl qualification target looks like.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

mikebass78 wrote:
He was talking about sight picture. When they lined up like that its creates a "flat" top. Not the target. A couple people asked about different guns and where to aim etc....no one wanted to fail I guess, no one wants to get up there and miss everything.

I think he was helping out, not being forceful and demanding. Just answering questions. He said if you go table top flat, you should be fine, was his exact answer.

If we are here, I imagine we all know what a chl qualification target looks like.
OK, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. Guess I was thrown off by, "made us qualify this way."

As for knowing what a CHL qualification target looks like, there are folks on this board who have yet to take their CHL course, and/or are asking questions about CHL. But yes, the majority know what a CHL target looks like.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
nyj wrote:Interesting how many people are scared of their gun. If it's in a quality holster, the trigger is NOT going to get pulled.
Its not the pistol in the holster (it wasn't for me anyway). Its the pistol falling from the holster, or out of your hand, or an accidental discharge when you draw it.
No modern handgun should be capable of firing due to being dropped. Look for an internal safety that prevents the striker (or hammer) from working unless the trigger has been pulled. If your gun doesn't have one, get a new gun.
You're assuming something doesn't snag the trigger on the way down, but you're right on the landing part. However, things can and do happen. Some dude popped a round in the lobby of the shootin' range last night, thinking he had cleared his pistol. BANG instant test on who of us are deaf or not... :shock:
Well, the most likely thing to "snag" the trigger on the way down is a finger belonging to the person who is trying to grab the falling gun. That's not the fault of the gun.
And, the example you gave had nothing to do with dropped guns.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

frreed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by frreed »

Wow, just wow. Not even a Glock will go bang without the trigger being pulled. It just won't happen. Snag on draw? Pulling a pistol from a holster would have all of the forces moving in a direction that would push the trigger forward. Dropped and going bang. That's been well covered. Falling out of the holster? Get a holster that fits. Falling out of your hand? Get a grip :lol: !

There are so few accidental discharges that they are beyond statistically significant. Negligent discharges are far more common. Yes, any of us are susceptible. One of the reasons I love carrying my XD 9sc is that it has some bulk to it. I know it is there and I am not completely comfortable when it is on my waist. I am reminded that I have a tool which is capable of destroying a life, mine of someone else. It stays in the holster. I remove it when I go to the range to practice and when I clean it. I take the holster off my belt, the pistol stays put. Keeping you head, and your hands where they are supposed to be make it possible to safely carry a loaded firearm.

Every Marine knows that the only reliable safety for a firearm is the one between your ears. If it fails someone is going to get hurt.

Carry on!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”